ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Move Joe Thuney To Left Tackle?
JakeF 02:38 PM 10-24-2021
Brown is going to get Mahomes killed.

At least Thuney has the knowledge and footwork technique to play the position.

Brown wouldn't get beaten inside at LG.

Would switching Thuney and Brown keep Mahomes alive or would it just create a problem at both positions?
[Reply]
-King- 05:21 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I get why people are tired of OBjr, but it's not going to fix the root problem.

Bad coaching. He wasn't getting beat like this in Baltimore, run first or not.

This squad has a stud interior line and can't do shit with it. Several million on the DL and can't rush shit.

This team is deeply flawed rn
He wasn't getting beat like this because teams would never dare speed rush Lamar Jackson. So he was still bad, but because teams fear the hell out of Lamar running, they don't speed rush or do any wide rushes to him.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:26 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I get why people are tired of OBjr, but it's not going to fix the root problem.

Bad coaching. He wasn't getting beat like this in Baltimore, run first or not.

This squad has a stud interior line and can't do shit with it. Several million on the DL and can't rush shit.

This team is deeply flawed rn
Baltimore passed about 50% less plus DEs had to keep outside contain against Lamar running, which is far more of a dangerous thing than Pat running. OBJ didn't have to pass block as he does here. Thus the results are pretty abysmal. Pat has a tendency to hold deep in the pocket and OBJ can't occasionally make up for his shortcomings because of it, but that's on a staff needing to know this guy just doesn't fit your QB. Lamar never sat anywhere for very long.
[Reply]
poolboy 05:28 PM 10-24-2021
so it sounds like Brown Jr wasnt really a great fit with the way Mahomes plays?
[Reply]
FringeNC 05:31 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Baltimore passed about 50% less plus DEs had to keep outside contain against Lamar running, which is far more of a dangerous thing than Pat running. OBJ didn't have to pass block as he does here. Thus the results are pretty abysmal. Pat has a tendency to hold deep in the pocket and OBJ can't occasionally make up for his shortcomings because of it, but that's on a staff needing to know this guy just doesn't fit your QB. Lamar never sat anywhere for very long.
Yes. Baltimore is the only team Orlando Brown could play LT for and not get immediately exposed. He's not a LT.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:31 PM 10-24-2021
Back when somebody here was jumping up and down that we should trade for Brown, I was totally against it, saying I didn't think he fit this offense AT ALL. Anybody remember who that was? Was it UChieffy? Anyway.

After looking at some stats and whatnot, I came around to the idea that maybe he'd be pretty good; a slight downgrade from Fisher as a pass protector, big upgrade as a run blocker.

Turns out-he's a HUGE downgrade from Fisher as a pass protector, and any run blocking skills are essentially negated by the scheme.

So yeah. This doesn't work.
[Reply]
poolboy 05:34 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Back when somebody here was jumping up and down that we should trade for Brown, I was totally against it, saying I didn't think he fit this offense AT ALL. Anybody remember who that was? Was it UChieffy? Anyway.

After looking at some stats and whatnot, I came around to the idea that maybe he'd be pretty good; a slight downgrade from Fisher as a pass protector, big upgrade as a run blocker.

Turns out-he's a HUGE downgrade from Fisher as a pass protector, and any run blocking skills are essentially negated by the scheme.

So yeah. This doesn't work.
especially when you have to play catch up EVERY game
[Reply]
RustShack 05:35 PM 10-24-2021
Niang played LT in college. Hell is Schwartz healthy and can he play LT? He was obviously an elite RT.

I still thing Brown can play LT well, it’s just an adjustment playing a new position, in a new scheme, with basically an all new starting 5 OL.

Plus the whole team isn’t playing well, like there’s something going on behind the scenes.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:35 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by poolboy:
so it sounds like Brown Jr wasnt really a great fit with the way Mahomes plays?
I think you look at Fisher vs Brown and you come to that conclusion. An athletic tackle that can get out on defenders trying to speed rush lets Pat play his style. Giving up the occasional bull rush isn't as big of a deal because Pat can escape outside. With Brown, you have the exact opposite. Pat can't escape Brown's weakness like he could Fisher's and Fisher's strengths were better on a down-to-down basis.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:43 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by RustShack:
Niang played LT in college. Hell is Schwartz healthy and can he play LT? He was obviously an elite RT.

I still thing Brown can play LT well, it’s just an adjustment playing a new position, in a new scheme, with basically an all new starting 5 OL.

Plus the whole team isn’t playing well, like there’s something going on behind the scenes.

And remember how Fisher did ok at LT even in his 2nd season (he improved) but that rookie year stint at RT was a huge abortion?

Niang looks much better than Fisher did his rookie year, and it’s possible he’d be even better as a LT.

If this shit with OBJ keeps up I wonder if that’s what the chiefs are planning to do after this season
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:50 PM 10-24-2021
Baltimore passing less isn't news. The w/l ratio just is different and I mean we're going to be shopping forever for the LT to fit his current play style.
[Reply]
JakeF 06:10 PM 10-24-2021
I think you look at Fisher vs Brown and you come to that conclusion. An athletic tackle that can get out on defenders trying to speed rush lets Pat play his style. Giving up the occasional bull rush isn't as big of a deal because Pat can escape outside. With Brown, you have the exact opposite. Pat can't escape Brown's weakness like he could Fisher's and Fisher's strengths were better on a down-to-down basis.
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about our tackles not matching our QB. Everyone talked shit and pretending it wasn't a big deal.

Both of our tackles do NOT fit our QB, and it's screwing our offense up.

Our offense is a powerful machine that scores 40+ points when Mahomes is running around screwing up the plans of the defenses he face. He stretches Defenses, creates more time, and then find WRs who have gotten lost in the mess. That's our dynamic offense.

Now Andy is asking Mahomes to stay in the pocket so Brown/Niang can protect him with their massive frames. The Defense knows where he's going to be, so they can go after him. No extra time, no extra holes for the WRs to get lost in. Mahomes looks lost and has happy feet like David Carr.

In the old thread, some smart ass made a comment "don't you think organization thought about whether the tackles fit"?

I think we have our answer now, "No, they really didn't" and it cost us our season.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:16 PM 10-24-2021
Someone needs to think about moving this turd to Romper Room.
[Reply]
JakeF 06:29 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Bullshit.

If you can't see that our OT's are causing us major problems, then you aren't paying attention.

Thuney can play LT and he might be a better fit with Mahomes. Thuney can scramble with Mahomes and let Patrick do his thing. Brown can't.
[Reply]
poolboy 06:29 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Why, because we are trying to think thru solutions to the chiefs problems?

besides, if we couldnt have pulled off the trade with Balt., we wouldve had thuney at lt anyway
[Reply]
xztop123 06:30 PM 10-24-2021
Not landing Trent Williams May have cost us 2 Super Bowls.

I was skeptical of the oline changes but I trusted the staff.

People don’t realize that Mitchell Schwartz was one of the best players in the nfl at his position and top 5 player on the chiefs roster for several years
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up