ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Is the magic gone with this co as coaching staff?
Yes, it's dead 55 61.11%
No, just need to rebuild a little. Coaches are still good. 35 38.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Are we still a well coached team or is the magic gone?
Red Dawg 01:00 PM 10-24-2021
Seems like it's gone as well as the players. We have let too many players go that were not big money jit played hard and well just to give big money out and get screwed over by it.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:04 AM 10-25-2021
I'm just baffled. This is a cascade failure that started with the defense, but unlike previous years it's now effecting the offense, which is equally bad. Nothing is working, including, sadly, our half billion dollar god of a quarterback. The whole team seems to be shell-shocked.

I remember what Eagles fans told us when we first hired Reid. He's had a great run here, but it seems like he's lost control of the locker room and is no longer an effective leader, just like his end in Philly.

If this shit doesn't turn around, and I see no signs that it's going to, I think this may be the end of the line for Andy. I'd rather he retired, but he may need to be whacked, including most of his staff.

This just sucks. :-)
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 04:19 AM 10-25-2021
When you gut the entire O-Line the magic is gone:-) This has to be one of the dumbest decisions in all of NFL history - They got rid of every member on the Offensive line that was protecting Mahomes
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:30 AM 10-25-2021
I think they'll adjust as season goes on but right now defenses have figured this offense out. clearly the gadget plays that have worked for years do not anymore.

Also Reid is doing a terrible job w our running game. He had this problem in Philly too.. You need to be able to run so defenses aren't constantly always lining up in formations that make it very difficult to pass. Those shotgun draws scare no one. Chiefs need a true bruiser like Kareem Hunt very badly. Team is too soft right now.

And yeah players definitely are not giving the effort they should especially on D. Reid is a players coach and not really a yeller so I think players after winning SB and going to another one aren't motivated like they once were. Reid needs to figure out how to get them back to giving maximum effort because if he doesn't more blowouts will happen. Chiefs aren't talented enough on D to overcome that.
[Reply]
Best22 04:42 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
When you gut the entire O-Line the magic is gone:-) This has to be one of the dumbest decisions in all of NFL history - They got rid of every member on the Offensive line that was protecting Mahomes
Problem is that offensive line wasn’t protecting Mahomes
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:48 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I'm just baffled. This is a cascade failure that started with the defense, but unlike previous years it's now effecting the offense, which is equally bad. Nothing is working, including, sadly, our half billion dollar god of a quarterback. The whole team seems to be shell-shocked.

I remember what Eagles fans told us when we first hired Reid. He's had a great run here, but it seems like he's lost control of the locker room and is no longer an effective leader, just like his end in Philly.

If this shit doesn't turn around, and I see no signs that it's going to, I think this may be the end of the line for Andy. I'd rather he retired, but he may need to be whacked, including most of his staff.

This just sucks. :-)
Agreed. This team roster wise isn't radically different from the team that hosted 3 straight AFC Championships and went to back to back Super Bowls, winning one. The thing that's really concerning is Hunt will probably never fire Reid and I doubt Mahomes would be happy either. It's going to have to be on him to bow out gracefully if he really has lost his passion or the team for whatever reason.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:09 AM 10-25-2021
When you can show multiple examples of players being in the right position to make plays, and they simply don't make the plays I would say that's not a scheme problem. I'm looking at you, Reed, Jones, and Clark.

I'd say that's a 'Want to' issue.

Players like Sorensen and Niemann are just not at this point NFL caliber players, if they ever were. That's a talent issue.

coverage-wise, a Mike Hughes type corner (short) is going to have a rough time 1 on 1 with an AJ Brown type receiver. The fact that there was no adjustment there, or maybe we should take a page out of the book that every team uses on us and double up Brown and Jones...those are coaching issues.

The biggest problem honestly is that Clark, Jones, and Reed are paid to rush the passer and none of them do. All have done so at SOME point, which is why Veach went out and got them or re-signed them, but none do so NOW. It's pretty tough to do anything defensively with no pass rush.

We should not be physically out-matched up front with what we're paying these guys.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:04 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
It’s simple… the rest of the league has developed successful game plans to stop the Chiefs offense and Andy and his coaching staff have had no effective counter strategies to-date.

Today shows the problems go beyond just execution, focus, or “tweaks” (using Andy’s words).
Andy Reid was scheming guys into space when he had Donnie Avery and Sean McGrath out there.

And the Cover 2 shell concept has fallen out of favor in the NFL because it's actually pretty easy to dissect.

No, Andy Reid has not forgotten how to pick apart a defense that he was picking apart 20 years ago. There's no lack of 'counter-strategies'. And it's not a failure of talent because Reid has gotten far greater production from far lesser talents.

This is an issue of motivation. Week after week these guys walk out there thinking the game is won before kickoff and teams punch them in the mouth. Then they start to press and panic and make mistakes because they just haven't faced much adversity.

We saw the beginnings of this malaise last season when they kinda sleep-walked through games and turned it on late for the W. They're not able to do that now. Some of it's bad luck, but some of it's just bad focus.

The 53 man roster needs to take a cold, sobering look at themselves and ask themselves how hard they're really trying out there? Not just on Sundays, but at practice. In the filmroom. In the weight room. Have they put in the kind of dedication they needed to put in to be great? Patrick needs to ask himself what he needs to do differently to engage them. Andy needs to ask how to re-capture their attention.

There is MORE than enough talent and more than enough intelligence to weather this storm and get through it. I just question if there's enough drive at this point.

When you see Bolton go out there and play at 100% and he sticks out like a sore thumb, you see the difference. Hell, you can see Byron Pringle playing with a different energy level than Tyreek Hill. There are some guys who just aren't bringing it on every play. There is no cause at all for guys failing to get open against the worst secondary in the NFL yesterday. They just didn't come to play. Again.

And yeah, that falls on Andy to motivate them. But these are grown ass men and professional football players - they bear some responsibility for that as well.
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:29 AM 10-25-2021
This team is soft especially on defense. Players' coaches are successful for a while but then the discipline and players' accountability breaks down. As much as Reid may be popular with his players I think he's lost their respect and it shows in their efforts...and Spags is clueless. The coaches who are hard asses usually get the most out of their players on a more consistent basis.
[Reply]
kcxiv 10:47 AM 10-25-2021
Its simple, they aarent listening to Andy anymore. It may be time to move on get a fresh defensive coach and let Pat run the offense. He looks frustrated with Andy's playcalls imo.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 10:50 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by kcxiv:
Its simple, they aarent listening to Andy anymore. It may be time to move on get a fresh defensive coach and let Pat run the offense. He looks frustrated with Andy's playcalls imo.
Or how about going out and hiring a young, energetic, new age coach who embraces analytics and actually has some fresh ideas?

I'd be really intrigued to see Mahomes with Joe Brady or hell even Mike Kafka.

We just need some fucking fire and energy and this staff ain't providing it.
[Reply]
kcxiv 10:59 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Or how about going out and hiring a young, energetic, new age coach who embraces analytics and actually has some fresh ideas?

We just need some fucking fire and energy and this staff ain't providing it.
im ready to move on from Andy. I think Pat outgrew him. Im fine with a younger coach. This franchise needs some changes. People are just going through the motions.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:06 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Andy Reid was scheming guys into space when he had Donnie Avery and Sean McGrath out there.

And the Cover 2 shell concept has fallen out of favor in the NFL because it's actually pretty easy to dissect.

No, Andy Reid has not forgotten how to pick apart a defense that he was picking apart 20 years ago. There's no lack of 'counter-strategies'. And it's not a failure of talent because Reid has gotten far greater production from far lesser talents.

This is an issue of motivation. Week after week these guys walk out there thinking the game is won before kickoff and teams punch them in the mouth. Then they start to press and panic and make mistakes because they just haven't faced much adversity.

We saw the beginnings of this malaise last season when they kinda sleep-walked through games and turned it on late for the W. They're not able to do that now. Some of it's bad luck, but some of it's just bad focus.

The 53 man roster needs to take a cold, sobering look at themselves and ask themselves how hard they're really trying out there? Not just on Sundays, but at practice. In the filmroom. In the weight room. Have they put in the kind of dedication they needed to put in to be great? Patrick needs to ask himself what he needs to do differently to engage them. Andy needs to ask how to re-capture their attention.

There is MORE than enough talent and more than enough intelligence to weather this storm and get through it. I just question if there's enough drive at this point.

When you see Bolton go out there and play at 100% and he sticks out like a sore thumb, you see the difference. Hell, you can see Byron Pringle playing with a different energy level than Tyreek Hill. There are some guys who just aren't bringing it on every play. There is no cause at all for guys failing to get open against the worst secondary in the NFL yesterday. They just didn't come to play. Again.

And yeah, that falls on Andy to motivate them. But these are grown ass men and professional football players - they bear some responsibility for that as well.
Can I just say, excellent post!

I'd like to just add one thing. When you have played as many games (especially BIG games) as the Chiefs have over the last 3 seasons prior to this one, it has to be tough to maintain focus, motivation and effort. Dynasty's are tough to produce for a reason. Maybe getting punched in the mouth is what turns their season around? On O, I could certainly see that. But, on D.....there's something really bad going on there that doesn't look like a quick fix. That looks like a complete overhaul (including the D Coaches) is needed.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:20 AM 10-25-2021
:-)

Andy Reid on what their identity is

"I think we are still working through that right now"

— Cody Tapp (@codybtapp) October 25, 2021

[Reply]
tatorhog 11:26 AM 10-25-2021
Andy needs a Jim Johnson to maintain success.

We had a pretty good run because we caught the league by storm and it legit took that long to figure it out. Now we can't/won't adjust, and the D is an abortion with Spags not having anything that resembles a pass rush. If Spags can't blitz, Spags gets killed. And right now, he can't blitz.

So Andy needs a defensive mastermind like he had with Jim Johnson. But sadly, he'll hang onto Spags like he did with Buttons until he is forced to do something.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:27 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:

We just need some ****ing fire and energy and this staff ain't providing it.
If we're talking about a head coach, no. Agree we do need an innovative assistant. Andy embraces all those things. I dont think he's in the right headspace.

People must be forgetting how many young phenoms turn into busts. We are kissed by god with an elite coach and qb. We better be very very sure Andy is done before we move on. I don't think he's even close to done.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Up