ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Why is Andy deferring the coin flip or choosing to play our defense first?
BigRedChief 07:05 PM 10-24-2021
Andy refused to answer this question at the presser tonight. What do you always defer even if you win the coin flip?

Maybe it made sense when the offense was clicking and the defense was middle of the pack. But now…….

I don’t understand this with our defense. We get the ball. Go down and score. Momentum has began. If we somehow get a stop, then score again, that’s ball game.

Starting down 7-0 immediately takes away all the momentum. So why doesn’t Andy change?
[Reply]
Bwana 08:16 PM 10-24-2021
As shitty as both sides of the ball are playing, does it really matter.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:22 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Bwana:
As shitty as both sides of the ball are playing, does it really matter.
Ultimately, this.

I actually agree with his decision but, if he wanted to mix it up and go the opposite direction for a game just to try some thing different I would yell at him for it (nor will I yell at him if stays status quo… on this specific issue).
[Reply]
-King- 08:23 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I’m just saying we need to change up something. We are repeating the same mistakes. In general, yes, deferring is the smart move. But, not even considering it when we are playing like shit is not considering all options to get us out of this sinking hole. Why not give it a try? See if devoting first matters.
WE NEED TO CHANGE SOMETHING! LETS CHANGE WHAT WE PICK AFTER THE COIN TOSS! :-)
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:43 PM 10-24-2021
Deferring makes sense. It’s an opportunity for an extra possession. There’s no issue here.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 10:10 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Deferring makes sense. It’s an opportunity for an extra possession. There’s no issue here.
Normally I would agree.

Lately all it does is have the offense walk on to the field already down by 7. Could this add to why Mahomes is pressing? Sure it could.

I agree with BRC, this sounds like a small change but maybe starting the Game UP by 7 instead of DOWN by 7 gives the team a little confidence and a little momentum.

We need to try something! I like this thought and right now, nothing should be off the table.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:26 PM 10-24-2021
Starting down 7-0 immediately takes away all the momentum.
I think momentum is largely a fan narrative, but how can it be taken away (I assume from the offense) if they haven't possessed the ball yet?

There would also need to be some kind of correlation....

Browns - Browns scored first on the first possession of the game, Chiefs win.
Ravens - Chiefs score on a pick 6 on the first possession of the game, Ravens win.
Chargers - Neither team score in their first 4 possessions, so didn't matter who got the ball first.
Eagles - Eagles scored on the first possession of the game, Chiefs win.
Bills - Chiefs score on the first possession of the game, Bills win.
WFT - WFT punts on the first possession of the game, Chiefs win.
Titans - Titans score on the first possession of the game, Titans win.

So, this is actually the first time the Chiefs have given up the first score of the game and lost.... and have also lost the only two times where they scored on the first possession of the game (and beat WFT being the first team to score).
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:48 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
WE NEED TO CHANGE SOMETHING! LETS CHANGE WHAT WE PICK AFTER THE COIN TOSS! :-)
How about this change…….attacking a two high safety defense with some throws to the middle of the field?

RGR did a segment tonight and pulled up Kelce’s routes and Mahomes throws. Very few and far between. It’s like they are being given the 10-15 yard pass plays but they are still trying to push the ball up the field into the teeth of the defense.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:16 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
Normally I would agree.

Lately all it does is have the offense walk on to the field already down by 7. Could this add to why Mahomes is pressing? Sure it could.

I agree with BRC, this sounds like a small change but maybe starting the Game UP by 7 instead of DOWN by 7 gives the team a little confidence and a little momentum.

We need to try something! I like this thought and right now, nothing should be off the table.

Cool so our offense comes out first, fucks up, then goes down 7-0 and doesn’t get the ball to start the 2nd half.

See how none of this matters?
[Reply]
tk13 11:18 PM 10-24-2021
With this team you have to wonder if you should take the ball first. But the good thing about getting the back-to-back at halftime is by the 3rd quarter you've adjusted a bit to what the other team is doing. The Chiefs had been pretty good at that, but not so much this year.
[Reply]
oldman 01:29 PM 10-25-2021
I can't remember the last time we didn't defer. Why is this a problem today? Why do you think Mahomes is pressing down 7 in the 1st? Hell, we've seen him cool and collected in the 3rd and 4th down by double digits.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:32 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Cause then you have a chance of scoring at the end of the half and then scoring again the first possession of the 2nd half. Could be a 14 point swing.
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Deferring is always best IMO.

Youre either building on a lead youve built, or youre getting the ball first to start digging out of a hole.
100%. It's always best to defer.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 01:54 PM 10-25-2021
We lost the toss to Buffalo and got the ball first...and they still kicked our ass.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 02:08 PM 10-25-2021
.... So why doesn’t Andy change our defense stop anybody?
FYP

Non issue.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up