ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 03:03 AM 03-09-2014
I just watched more Megadeth...yeah, so coming from a die hard Metallica fan, I'm humbled to say Megadeth is so much better. Why I didn't get into them earlier I have no idea. Even their equivelant of Metallica's "Black album" (Symphony of Destruction) smokes Metallica.

Never thought I'd say this blasphemy

Side note......Friedman's shit makes Hammet's shit look like child's play.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 03:48 AM 03-09-2014
Can't agree with you.

Megadeth had one album I really liked.

Metallica had four.

I really couldn't care less about what either of them are doing now.
[Reply]
Dayze 04:09 AM 03-09-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Can't agree with you.

Metallica had four.

Yeah. I can totally relate. for sure.
i was just listening to Mustaine's melodies and what not, and thought they were so much intricate than Hetfields.

don't get me wrong.......they're both amazing. like a ribeye or KC strips.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:20 PM 03-09-2014
Originally Posted by Dayze:
Yeah. I can totally relate. for sure.
i was just listening to Mustaine's melodies and what not, and thought they were so much intricate than Hetfields.

don't get me wrong.......they're both amazing. like a ribeye or KC strips.
Yeah, I mean it was just so long ago now. I haven't listened to most of the band's mentioned on this page in like 5 years. :-) When it comes to technical proficiency, Metallica isn't really that great. I love their songs. MoP is still one my all time favs.

The whole reason there's so much damn music is because people like so many different things. I used to be that guy who ran around saying 'this sucks' or 'this is shit' if I didn't like something, but then I grew up and realized what an asshole that makes me. Yanno, like who the hell am I to call someone's artistic self expression 'shit'? Who the hell am I to define that? What have I done to put my own self out there?

There are too many critics in the world and not enough appreciators. Megadeth never kept my attention beyond the 90's. That doesn't matter, because Mustaine is still a metal legend. I'm just some asshole. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:57 AM 03-10-2014
Megadeth never kept my attention beyond the 90's.
They didn't even hold my attention that long. Of course, Metallica didn't keep my interest beyond the 80's. :-)

One thing I can say about Metallica though is that, for me, at least the Black album was transitional. It could have been a musical brick wall like "Risk".
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 01:17 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They didn't even hold my attention that long. Of course, Metallica didn't keep my interest beyond the 80's. :-)

One thing I can say about Metallica though is that, for me, at least the Black album was transitional. It could have been a musical brick wall like "Risk".
Yeah well, I was 9 when the 80's ended. :-)
[Reply]
Dayze 08:09 AM 03-10-2014
Yeah, I mean it was just so long ago now. I haven't listened to most of the band's mentioned on this page in like 5 years. :-) When it comes to technical proficiency, Metallica isn't really that great. I love their songs. MoP is still one my all time favs.

The whole reason there's so much damn music is because people like so many different things. I used to be that guy who ran around saying 'this sucks' or 'this is shit' if I didn't like something, but then I grew up and realized what an asshole that makes me. Yanno, like who the hell am I to call someone's artistic self expression 'shit'? Who the hell am I to define that? What have I done to put my own self out there?

There are too many critics in the world and not enough appreciators. Megadeth never kept my attention beyond the 90's. That doesn't matter, because Mustaine is still a metal legend. I'm just some asshole. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Lzen 09:02 AM 03-10-2014

Bravo. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:54 AM 03-10-2014
Can't agree with you.

Metallica had four.

"Rust in Peace" is better than anything Metallica has ever released, IMO. But I'm also a musician and was a big fan of Friedman and his style before he ever joined Megadeth. His addition, for me, took Megadeth beyond thrash/speed metal and into something much more complex and fulfilling. At the same time, Metallica went the other direction, simplifying their formula and making it more consumable.

It's easy for me to understand why people like Metallica more. I just don't agree.

I too couldn't care less about what they're doing now.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 01:15 PM 03-10-2014
"Rust in Peace" is better than anything Metallica has ever released, IMO. But I'm also a musician and was a big fan of Friedman and his style before he ever joined Megadeth. His addition, for me, took Megadeth beyond thrash/speed metal and into something much more complex and fulfilling. At the same time, Metallica went the other direction, simplifying their formula and making it more consumable.

It's easy for me to understand why people like Metallica more. I just don't agree.

I too couldn't care less about what they're doing now.
Friedman is ridiculous.

Mustaine's vocals annoys me. That's really the only thing about them that was ever off-putting to me.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 05:45 PM 03-10-2014
Nah
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:24 PM 03-12-2014
And for the record, I personally feel like Sabbath, while heavier and darker, was still a heavy blues band like Zeppelin and others during the 70s. A lot BETTER IMO, but still a British blues band at the core. They weren't a "metal" band until Ronnie arrived.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 02:04 PM 03-12-2014
And for the record, I personally feel like Sabbath, while heavier and darker, was still a heavy blues band like Zeppelin and others during the 70s. A lot BETTER IMO, but still a British blues band at the core. They weren't a "metal" band until Ronnie arrived.
Agreed.

It was tuned down, slowed down, and of course Ozzie had unique imagery in his vocals... but yeah that's pretty much on point. They doomed it up. That's why I love 'em.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:09 PM 03-12-2014
Agreed.

It was tuned down, slowed down, and of course Ozzie had unique imagery in his vocals... but yeah that's pretty much on point. That's why I love 'em.
I like Ozzy immensely. Don't get me wrong, for me Dio Sabbath is 1a and Ozzy Sabbath is 1b (and Dio and Ozzy solo are 1c and 1d really). There's not a ton of separation.

But like I said, I like a lot of classical music and those types of arrangements. Tony Iommi said it best:

"Dio would sing across the riff, whereas Ozzy would follow the riff, like in "Iron Man". Ronnie came in and gave us another angle on writing."
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 02:33 PM 03-12-2014
I like Ozzy immensely. Don't get me wrong, for me Dio Sabbath is 1a and Ozzy Sabbath is 1b (and Dio and Ozzy solo are 1c and 1d really). There's not a ton of separation.

But like I said, I like a lot of classical music and those types of arrangements. Tony Iommi said it best:

"Dio would sing across the riff, whereas Ozzy would follow the riff, like in "Iron Man". Ronnie came in and gave us another angle on writing."
Again, Ronnie is/was very talented.

It's just that I find what he does annoying. It's the pitch of his voice... that whole style of singing. I can't stand it. I know it's hard and I know they're hitting high notes and their voice is an instrument and part of the arrangement. It's simply that it annoys the ever lovin' hell out of me. :-)

To the guys in Sabbath (except Geezer) simply wanted a better singer than Ozzy. He was, for the most part, uninvolved in the entire process. I mean Geezer wrote the lyrics. Ozzie just did the vocal melodies. Ozzie had no input on the song structure or arrangement, whereas Ronnie did.

Ronnie was far more talented than Ozzy, but even knowing that his voice is still annoying as hell to me.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up