View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 184 of 343
« First < 84134174180181182183184 185186187188194234284 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:13 AM 09-29-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Exactly.

Last year it was about the situation, the draft picks, and the franchise tag. All of that was pretty much worth it for what we got last year.

This year it's about justifying his asking price. Not worth it. At all.
The Hardman and Brown moves were stress moves. Hardman was drafted to be the closest thing they could find to replicate a player they thought would be possibly black balled from the league.

Brown was by far the best they could get at the time after Trent Williams fell through. But thank god we didn’t sign Williams bc he has already been hurt twice in 19 possible regular season games since he got that contract.

I really don’t mind the trade compensation. That doesn’t seem to matter when you get a top 10 ILB, top 10 C and top 10 RG with your other draft picks in that draft class.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:15 AM 09-29-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
The Hardman and Brown moves were stress moves. Hardman was drafted to be the closest thing they could find to replicate a player they thought would be possibly black balled from the league.

Brown was by far the best they could get at the time after Trent Williams fell through. But thank god we didn’t sign Williams bc he has already been hurt twice in 19 possible regular season games since he got that contract.

I really don’t mind the trade compensation. That doesn’t seem to matter when you get a top 10 ILB, top 10 C and top 10 RG with your other draft picks in that draft class.
I don't disagree.

I don't have a problem with the trade, the compensation, or the tag. I only have a problem with making him one of the, if not THE, highest paid OT's in the league.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:30 AM 09-29-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't disagree.

I don't have a problem with the trade, the compensation, or the tag. I only have a problem with making him one of the, if not THE, highest paid OT's in the league.
Agreed.

As I've said from the moment the terms of the trade were announced, by FAR the most critical part of that trade wasn't the compensation in a vacuum. Rather it was that the compensation was low enough that we weren't pot committed to the guy {cough}FrankClarkFuckingSucks{coughcough}.

If the guy goes down tomorrow and never plays another snap for us, the trade was....fine. We got a really cheap year from him last season when we were in really rough shape against the cap and needed to find that kind of solution. We got back a 2nd round pick in the deal that we used to draft a guy who could be one of the top players in the draft when all is said and done.

There is no 'loss' to be had in the trade itself at this point, no matter how it works out from this point forward. So we should stop even considering it in the calculus.

Now the question is strictly one of "is this guy worth what he wants to re-sign here, yes or no?"

Because right now that answer appears pretty obvious. And worse, had there been a fundamental change in his athleticism/approach, we'd have seen it by now. So I'd say last season's 'slightly above average' level is probably all we can ever truly expect from him even if he brings it back around.

Probably wanna keep an eye on Matt Pryor this season, the Colts LT. He's a pending FA and this is his first real season as a starter. The Colts drafted Raimann and seem to be working him in with the 1st team when they can to prepare him to take over at LT long-term. He's flashed in previous seasons as a solid backup all over the line - there's some talent there, if not a ton of ceiling. Maybe Isiah Wynn? Though I suspect the Patriots will move on from Trent Brown and re-sign Wynn to play on the left side.
[Reply]
O.city 09:35 AM 09-29-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Agreed.

As I've said from the moment the terms of the trade were announced, by FAR the most critical part of that trade wasn't the compensation in a vacuum. Rather it was that the compensation was low enough that we weren't pot committed to the guy {cough}FrankClark****ingSucks{coughcough}.

If the guy goes down tomorrow and never plays another snap for us, the trade was....fine. We got a really cheap year from him last season when we were in really rough shape against the cap and needed to find that kind of solution. We got back a 2nd round pick in the deal that we used to draft a guy who could be one of the top players in the draft when all is said and done.

There is no 'loss' to be had in the trade itself at this point, no matter how it works out from this point forward. So we should stop even considering it in the calculus.

Now the question is strictly one of "is this guy worth what he wants to re-sign here, yes or no?"

Because right now that answer appears pretty obvious. And worse, had there been a fundamental change in his athleticism/approach, we'd have seen it by now. So I'd say last season's 'slightly above average' level is probably all we can ever truly expect from him even if he brings it back around.

Probably wanna keep an eye on Matt Pryor this season, the Colts LT. He's a pending FA and this is his first real season as a starter. The Colts drafted Raimann and seem to be working him in with the 1st team when they can to prepare him to take over at LT long-term. He's flashed in previous seasons as a solid backup all over the line - there's some talent there, if not a ton of ceiling. Maybe Isiah Wynn? Though I suspect the Patriots will move on from Trent Brown and re-sign Wynn to play on the left side.
If you want a legit LT, it's the draft. Or trade, but likely the draft.

They dont' seem to want to just patchwork it up.

Although, I suspect we see OBJ signed to a long term deal this offseason
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:39 AM 09-29-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:

The time to do that was a year or two ago.

I think they're gonna have to patchwork it up if Brown doesn't prove he's worth the money. And that's seeming increasingly unlikely.

Sign Pryor on a 3 year deal w/ the idea of drafting a rookie and potentially moving Pryor over to RT if/when the rook can take the job at LT. Probably need to bring Wylie back for another year as well.

It's just asking a ton for a 1st round LT to come in and play as a rook. I just can't see it happening.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:15 AM 09-29-2022
Agreed.

As I've said from the moment the terms of the trade were announced, by FAR the most critical part of that trade wasn't the compensation in a vacuum. Rather it was that the compensation was low enough that we weren't pot committed to the guy {cough}FrankClark****ingSucks{coughcough}.

Hard to see Ballard letting a competent LT get away for a rookie, cap space be damned.

The best thing is probably drafting a 1st rd LT and giving up additional assets to do it. Just hope you don’t give up a 1st to move high enough.

Lot of people didn’t like the Bryan Cook pick bc of a pass rusher but man Abraham Lucas and Nicholas Petit-Frere have looked really good as RT’s thus far.
[Reply]
O.city 10:26 AM 09-29-2022
The time to do that was a year or two ago.

I think they're gonna have to patchwork it up if Brown doesn't prove he's worth the money. And that's seeming increasingly unlikely.

Sign Pryor on a 3 year deal w/ the idea of drafting a rookie and potentially moving Pryor over to RT if/when the rook can take the job at LT. Probably need to bring Wylie back for another year as well.

It's just asking a ton for a 1st round LT to come in and play as a rook. I just can't see it happening.
Why? We see 1st rounders come in and play LT right away.

Just gonna have to trade up for one.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:30 AM 09-29-2022
Why? We see 1st rounders come in and play LT right away.

Just gonna have to trade up for one.
And about 1/2 of them kinda suck at it. Including guys taken in the top 10.

They're not gonna take that chance with Mahomes. Until they can get a guy in here and get a good look at him for a full season, I don't think they're going to entrust him with Patrick's blind side. That or he has to have demonstrated the ability to do it at the NFL level elsewhere (like Pryor).

They're just not gonna plug in a rookie LT, IMO. The stakes are too high.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:34 AM 09-29-2022

Seems hard to see OBJ in a Chiefs uniform next year if he disappoints and his stock is lower after the season. He isn't going to lower his price, and there are always teams that would overpay for a potential starting LT, even if he's not elite.
[Reply]
O.city 10:49 AM 09-29-2022
And about 1/2 of them kinda suck at it. Including guys taken in the top 10.

They're not gonna take that chance with Mahomes. Until they can get a guy in here and get a good look at him for a full season, I don't think they're going to entrust him with Patrick's blind side. That or he has to have demonstrated the ability to do it at the NFL level elsewhere (like Pryor).

They're just not gonna plug in a rookie LT, IMO. The stakes are too high.
Wouldn't that be the same as some other teams castoff though?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:08 AM 09-29-2022
Wouldn't that be the same as some other teams castoff though?
Not if it's someone like Pryor who's demonstrated competence but may get displaced by a draft pick.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:54 PM 09-29-2022
The frustrating thing is Brown probably is the best LT in terms of consistency over a period of time. If you had last year's version and he wasn't asking silly money just, I dunno, top 5-10, you could swallow it and hope it's a down year. But regression plus insane salary demands? Nope, no thanks.

I like Pryor and Wynn, there might even be a small reclamation project like Dilard who looked OK last year in patches. There's actually some decent RTs floating about next year and I wonder if it's not possible to improve on both spots AND draft there. If Brown is playing this poorly for the rest of the year it's not impossible to see us replacing both OTs and for a reasonable cost.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:56 PM 09-29-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Hard to see Ballard letting a competent LT get away for a rookie, cap space be damned.

The best thing is probably drafting a 1st rd LT and giving up additional assets to do it. Just hope you don’t give up a 1st to move high enough.

Lot of people didn’t like the Bryan Cook pick bc of a pass rusher but man Abraham Lucas and Nicholas Petit-Frere have looked really good as RT’s thus far.
Yep, I would've happily taken a DT, DE, WR or OT for that pick.
[Reply]
poolboy 02:57 PM 09-29-2022
I think the Prince or Christian needs a shot if it keeps going like it has
Defense are always going line up and hit your weakness'
Look how Jones was moving around, they were going for matchups
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:57 PM 09-29-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
The frustrating thing is Brown probably is the best LT in terms of consistency over a period of time. If you had last year's version and he wasn't asking silly money just, I dunno, top 5-10, you could swallow it and hope it's a down year. But regression plus insane salary demands? Nope, no thanks.

I like Pryor and Wynn, there might even be a small reclamation project like Dilard who looked OK last year in patches. There's actually some decent RTs floating about next year and I wonder if it's not possible to improve on both spots AND draft there. If Brown is playing this poorly for the rest of the year it's not impossible to see us replacing both OTs and for a reasonable cost.
Yup - that's exactly the problem.

I'd certainly prefer the Chiefs have elite LT play. But with a strong interior line and a QB that thrives in a moving pocket, I'm fine getting a guy who's simply solid and reliable if that's available to us.

But that's gotta be the price tag. If Brown insists on being compensated like he's something he's not, we have to look elsewhere.
[Reply]
Page 184 of 343
« First < 84134174180181182183184 185186187188194234284 > Last »
Up