ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 223
« First < 121819202122 232425263272122 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:33 PM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I felt good enough today to get out my Weber Smokey Mountain and do a little smokin'. Did some baby back ribs, a turkey breast and a couple sausage ropes; made pit beans and "Dirty Deviled Eggs."

I use a combination of rubs from Three Pigs, Gates and some of my own stuff. Soaked the ribs overnight in apple juice and apple cider vinegar, used a mustard base to hold the dry rub. On the turkey I brined it overnight in kosher salt, sugar, soy sauce and water. I use Arthur Bryant's rub with canola oil to hold it on; beans are a secret recipe, sorry, won't share that.

All done in the Weber over hickory. Shared a lot of it with my neighbor who's going through some rough times right now. It was good to be able to get outside and do something fun again.

The eggs are not smoked, but I use this seasoning called "Todd's Dirt" over the top. I like to use that or Old Bay. The key ingredient to good deviled eggs are miracle whip, dry mustard, pickle juice, garlic powder and salt/pepper.

Today did not suck!
Great news. And I'll be honest, when I break-out the smoker, especially the big one, I make plenty for the neighbors too. I find it to be one of the best ways to bring the hood together. A group text goes out to the people the day before (for requests and to let them know the smoker will be in effect). Some just make a requests and I try to honor them, others bring their own meat hot have smoked. Hey, it's not a huge side-smoker, but it'll do plenty.

You've inspired me, if the weather looks good this weekend, that might happen.
[Reply]
Buzz 08:33 PM 08-07-2016
I felt good enough today to get out my Weber Smokey Mountain and do a little smokin'. Did some baby back ribs, a turkey breast and a couple sausage ropes; made pit beans and "Dirty Deviled Eggs."

I use a combination of rubs from Three Pigs, Gates and some of my own stuff. Soaked the ribs overnight in apple juice and apple cider vinegar, used a mustard base to hold the dry rub. On the turkey I brined it overnight in kosher salt, sugar, soy sauce and water. I use Arthur Bryant's rub with canola oil to hold it on; beans are a secret recipe, sorry, won't share that.

All done in the Weber over hickory. Shared a lot of it with my neighbor who's going through some rough times right now. It was good to be able to get outside and do something fun again.

The eggs are not smoked, but I use this seasoning called "Todd's Dirt" over the top. I like to use that or Old Bay. The key ingredient to good deviled eggs are miracle whip, dry mustard, pickle juice, garlic powder and salt/pepper.

Today did not suck!

Good for you George, sounds awesome.
[Reply]
gblowfish 08:34 PM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by jspchief:
Local grocery has whole loins on sale. Considering giving one a go in the smoker.
I smoke the smaller pork loins all the time. The meat tastes like BBQ ribs, only no bones! And the left overs go great in beans. You can shred them up in a food processor, put them in beans and tastiness occurs....
[Reply]
Buzz 08:36 PM 08-07-2016
I smoke the smaller pork loins all the time. The meat tastes like BBQ ribs, only no bones! And the left overs go great in beans. You can shred them up in a food processor, put them in beans and tastiness occurs....

Are you smoking the beans? :-)
[Reply]
gblowfish 08:39 PM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by Buzz:
Are you smoking the beans? :-)
I did today. I have a cast iron bean pot that works great. I put them on the bottom rack, and cover the top with foil, with a small opening to let the smoke in. Usually about three hours in the Weber is enough. If you cook them too long they can dry out and get gummy. Today's batch came out perfect.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:49 PM 08-07-2016

Today did not suck!
Good on you for helping the neighbor. There needs to be more guys like you.
[Reply]
jspchief 09:31 PM 08-07-2016
Loin or tenderloin? There's a difference, which is made even more confusing by the fact that breaded "tenderloin" sandwiches are cut from the loin, not the tenderloin.

I'm talking about the big 8-10 pound whole loin. Never smoked one before, not sure how it will come out. Doubt it will pull, but I think if I foil it early enough it will slice and stay moist.
[Reply]
|Zach| 11:35 PM 08-10-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:

Looks damn tasty.
[Reply]
MTG#10 04:07 PM 08-19-2016
I consider myself a damn fine pitmaster but I need some advice.

I have a 9 lb pork loin. Kids want pulled pork. Ive made pulled pork out of loin before in a crock pot that came out well, but it slow cooked in a baste/mop mixture.

Is there any way to smoke a pork loin without drying it out too much for pulled pork? I thought about wrapping it in bacon, but Im afraid that will prevent a good smoke ring.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:14 PM 08-19-2016
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
I consider myself a damn fine pitmaster but I need some advice.

I have a 9 lb pork loin. Kids want pulled pork. Ive made pulled pork out of loin before in a crock pot that came out well, but it slow cooked in a baste/mop mixture.

Is there any way to smoke a pork loin without drying it out too much for pulled pork? I thought about wrapping it in bacon, but Im afraid that will prevent a good smoke ring.

I don't know how you'd make pulled pork out of loin.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:20 PM 08-19-2016
Why fuck up a perfectly good loin? They're kids, fuck em.

***That's a figure of speech, don't actually fuck them.
[Reply]
MTG#10 04:24 PM 08-19-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I don't know how you'd make pulled pork out of loin.
Google slow cooker pulled pork, there's about a hundred recipes that call for loin.

Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Why **** up a perfectly good loin?
I dont even really like pork loin. Only good pork loin Ive had was the kind I made pulled pork out of in a crock pot. It was given to me.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:09 PM 08-26-2016
So Im going to try out my new smoker this weekend and want to smoke some ribs. Ive made ribs on my WSM at least 100 times the same exact way since I bought it back in 2005 and they've always came out great but since Im using a new smoker I want to try something different.

What I normally do is apply the rub, wrap in saran wrap and let them sit overnight in the fridge.

This time I'm thinking about soaking them in an apple juice/apple cider vinegar/Sprite mixture overnight then applying the rub the next day right before I put them in. Anyone ever tried anything similar to this?

Something else I was pondering...applesauce. Some people use mustard as a "glue" to help the rub stick. Since pork and apples go together like beef and potatoes, I was thnking about trying applesauce as a "glue" for the rub instead of mustard. Has anyone tried this or is it a horrible idea? There has to be some use for applesauce with ribs.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:12 PM 08-26-2016
Leave it unwrapped. The fridge cool air will help the meat form a pellicle, which helps for smoke sticking to it.

I think there's too much water in applesauce, but never tried it.

Generally speaking, I'd recommend you do it exactly the way you have done it previously to help set yourself a baseline for the electric.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:17 PM 08-26-2016
You're probably right about doing it the same at least the first time. How do you prep your ribs? Do you rub/sit in fridge overnight? I found the apple juice/cider vinegar/sprite idea in my pellet smoker guide but it says to do that for a butt. Wondering if there's any benefit to marinading ribs.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 223
« First < 121819202122 232425263272122 > Last »
Up