ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What Salsas are you guys running
Buehler445 09:37 PM 06-22-2021
What salsas are you animals eating?

I live in buttfuck nowhere and the salsa selection out here is fucking criminal. Especially given the Latino population out here. Regardless, the little Mexican grocery store I was using had to close down. So ultimately I’m looking for a good salsa I can order online.

I bought some dried peppers I intend to make some of my own, but it will be a couple weeks before I can get a look at it and I’m sure it will take my dumbass several batches before I can get it right.

What do you got?
[Reply]
srvy 06:48 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I think it’s a genetic thing. Baby Lee explained it all one time.
Cilantro is the Spanish word for coriander. Many people have the hereditary gene that makes you taste soap including me. I am told you can substitute fresh parsley leaves along with ground cumin. even basil leaves but may change the flavor a bit.
[Reply]
Sorry 01:38 AM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Dane try Vallarta supermarkets. We have it in the Central Valley and a lot of their shit is over priced but their salsas, homemade tortillas, and beans w/queso is actually pretty damn good. I was lucky that my wife recently stumbled upon how to make chipotle style guacamole but slightly better and way cheaper as their guacamole at Vallarta is ten got damn dollars lol
[Reply]
eDave 03:53 AM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Dane try Vallarta supermarkets. We have it in the Central Valley and a lot of their shit is over priced but their salsas, homemade tortillas, and beans w/queso is actually pretty damn good. I was lucky that my wife recently stumbled upon how to make chipotle style guacamole but slightly better and way cheaper as their guacamole at Vallarta is ten got damn dollars lol
There is one in N. Hollywood. Oxnard St., I believe. I used to buy flowers and plants for the my flower shops right around the corner on Vineland.
[Reply]
Boiled Chicken 05:31 AM 06-24-2021
Mama Soccoro’s is a good local KC maker

https://www.mamasocorros.com/our-story
[Reply]
scho63 10:25 AM 06-24-2021
Much more a fan of Pico de Gallo
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:08 AM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Dane try Vallarta supermarkets.
Originally Posted by eDave:
There is one in N. Hollywood. Oxnard St., I believe. I used to buy flowers and plants for the my flower shops right around the corner on Vineland.
Thanks, guys, Vallarta is my jam! I've been to their Burbank and N. Hollywood locations but N. Hollywood is the main location I visit because it's just one stoplight away from the new Business Costco.

I grab a couple of pounds of their seasoned chicken al carbon, fresh chips, 10 avocadoes for $5 bucks and several different salsas a couple of times a month. They're super cheap, even on common items found at Ralphs and so forth.

Their ceviche rocks, too. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:09 AM 06-24-2021
You don't "run" a salsa. The movements are much more exquisite than that...

[Reply]
banyon 12:04 PM 06-24-2021
What salsas are you animals eating?

I live in buttfuck nowhere and the salsa selection out here is fucking criminal. Especially given the Latino population out here. Regardless, the little Mexican grocery store I was using had to close down. So ultimately I’m looking for a good salsa I can order online.

I bought some dried peppers I intend to make some of my own, but it will be a couple weeks before I can get a look at it and I’m sure it will take my dumbass several batches before I can get it right.

What do you got?
Depends on what you like, but my extensive rankings of salsas available in the Dodge City area, not too far from you.

1. Tacos Jaliscos - Dodge City-(not the one in the mall, the one on Wyatt Earp) Very watery, and the temp rating can vary quite a bit per batch, but very tasty IMO. My favorite.

2. Tapias Mexican Restaurant- Belpre, KS (between Kinsley and Stafford)- Pretty good mix of tomatoes and sauce, VERY hard to find if you don't know it's there, but definitely worth the stop.

3. Tacos Chavas- Dodge City- This is a yellow food truck, they have Tacos Pastor that are some of the best tacos I've ever had in my life. It is usually parked around the Heartland IPA Grocery/Shell Station on Comanche St, I think its a salsa verde on the tacos, but I think you can get it on the chips too.

4. El Korita- Dodge City- Very cool $1 ala carte menu under glass 2 days a week (Wed and Thurs I think) mini tacos, flautas, decent red salsa with chips, a little salty.

5. Cant remember the name, and not on google maps, and i think the name changes like every couple of months, but South Dodge City burrito shop next to Johns auto bodyon S. 14th You have to specially request the green sauce, but they give it to you in a giant bottle and it is great on one of their super burritos.

6. El Charro- Dodge City- much thicker and tomatoey, but still decent. The portons here are usually larger than you can eat.

There is fantastic Mexican food there, it's literally the only thing I miss about living there. I sure don't miss the wind or the cattle smell. :-)

Note- It's been a few years since I lived there so some of these might have gone under. do not go to Casa Alvarez in DC, they are routinely cited for food and health violations.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:21 PM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
It's hard to gauge from person to person, but both the Pain is Good and the Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper, for me they're in that sweet spot where every bite is spicy, but it keeps you coming back for more. It's hotter than you get in most supermarket, but you can taste the flavors, and if the spice doesn't knock you out, you want another, and another, . . . hot, hot, hot!! Oh, just one more. . . If that makes sense.

It's not so hot you take one bite and are out of the spicy game for the afternoon, running around for milk or yogurt, like with pure hot sauces.
I was just trying out some ghost pepper hot sauce stuff from a local shop that's "crazy hot!" and what not, and the usual disappointment leads me to think companies need like an independent reputable taste test for such things.... so, you can actually say "Even [this guy] said it burned his face off!"... if not, of course, an official Scoville rating.

Of course, that's counter to the marketing scheme of saying things are crazy hot when it's really fairly mild relative to the serious stuff.

This is a great thread, I need to grab more of the Hatch Chile salsa and more Mrs Renfros, and try some others.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:50 PM 06-24-2021
There is a restaurant in the suburbs, far enough away I haven't bothered so far as to go back there and interrogate them, but they had a salsa I wish I could replicate. But I haven't really run into anything quite like it.

It was mostly clear, almost like it was thickened with cornstarch [though I'm sure that's not it], but basically a syrupy consistency with little bits suspended in it. The heat and flavor was fresh habanero and cilantro. But then it had these little . . . pearls . . . of garlic AND AVOCADO. Like the size of a quinoa or tabbouleh. The garlic was roasted, so it was very soft, and both the garlic and avocado kind of 'burst' like dipping dots when you ate it.

Very tasty, at first you get the heat of habanero and the snap of cilantro, then you get the burst of garlic and avocado that made it less spicy and a little creamy. Fascinating.

I really don't how how they got so fine a dice of things so soft without it turning to paste. I assume they went to the trouble of freezing them first.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:38 PM 06-26-2021
I ordered pretty much everything recommended here.

I ought to have something that doesn't suck to eat for awhile :-)

Sincerely appreciate the recommendations, guys.
[Reply]
gblowfish 05:58 PM 06-26-2021
I ordered pretty much everything recommended here.

I ought to have something that doesn't suck to eat for awhile :-)

Sincerely appreciate the recommendations, guys.
I hope the CP doesn't give you a chronic case of tangy asshole!
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:05 PM 06-26-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I hope the CP doesn't give you a chronic case of tangy asshole!
My GI tract can handle it but when I eat spicy stuff (which I love. Obviously) I sweat like a whore in church.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:10 PM 06-26-2021
My GI tract can handle it but when I eat spicy stuff (which I love. Obviously) I sweat like a whore in church.
Me eating the good stuff [you'd be surprised, . . . disgusted? how accurate that is]

[Reply]
Buehler445 08:06 PM 06-26-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Me eating the good stuff [you'd be surprised, . . . disgusted? how accurate that is]

You’re in good company my friend.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up