ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Why are Rivers and Eli HOF candidates?
RunKC 04:30 PM 06-22-2021
Just hearing this garbage about these guys is annoying as hell. Why do they get to get in?

What has Rivers done besides stat padding?

Eli never had an all pro season, never had a QB rating higher than 94 and won all of his postseason games with defenses that gave up 21 or less points.

Is the HOF really going this soft? Will they literally let just anyone that’s played forever in?
[Reply]
tk13 06:04 PM 06-22-2021
Rivers lack of playoff success has to hurt him. Eli will never be in the convo among the real elite guys and is probably on the borderline. But the fact he has has two SBs, top 10 in passing TDs and yards. He's probably in. Plus his playoff runs were legendary. Beat an undefeated team for the first title, then the next title run he played great, beat Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau at the height of his powers when that team had won 21 of 22 games, then beat Brady a second time. He certainly didn't fluke his way to either of those championships. He beat some of the best QBs of all-time at the absolute peak of their careers.
[Reply]
Bump 06:08 PM 06-22-2021
Eli has 2 Superbowl rings and Rivers has stats
[Reply]
Halfcan 08:19 PM 06-22-2021
Rivers is the biggest choke artist in NFL history. He always found a way to lose the big game.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 08:24 PM 06-22-2021
The second half of Eli’s career with the Giants, 8 seasons after his second Super Bowl win were dreadful… 7 missed playoffs in 8 of those seasons.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:33 PM 06-22-2021
QB is by far the most important position. Are they really overrated in the media, in salaries or notoriety? Why would we think that?

I don’t put a huge premium on titles although I won’t say it’s wrong. NFL is a grind weekly so 10 wins for 15 years like Phillis had > Joe Flaccid’s title.

Do they deserve to be in? I’ll listen either way but were they faces of their franchise? Guys you’d watch? Guys who we are talking about today?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:38 PM 06-22-2021

[Reply]
ChiefGator 08:41 PM 06-22-2021
I honestly think Rivers should be in the HOF before Eli.. just too many bad years on Eli's resume.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:44 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
Rivers lack of playoff success has to hurt him. Eli will never be in the convo among the real elite guys and is probably on the borderline. But the fact he has has two SBs, top 10 in passing TDs and yards. He's probably in. Plus his playoff runs were legendary. Beat an undefeated team for the first title, then the next title run he played great, beat Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau at the height of his powers when that team had won 21 of 22 games, then beat Brady a second time. He certainly didn't fluke his way to either of those championships. He beat some of the best QBs of all-time at the absolute peak of their careers.
It’s so weird. Eli was almost the exact opposite of Peyton.

Eli was just an average regular season QB, but balled out in the playoffs.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:44 PM 06-22-2021
Rivers I was nothing but a choker. The guy had it all. He constantly had very talented teams and won next to nothing in his career.

Eli didn’t win those Super Bowl’s. He got lucky on the Tyree catch but aside from that it was obvious that the Giants defense is what won them those titles.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 09:46 PM 06-22-2021
Mahomes already has a better resume than both of them combined.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:54 PM 06-22-2021
They put Terrell Davis in the goddamn HOF.

Bill Cowher is in the hall in spite of only having one Super Bowl and having a paltry amount of career wins for a HOF coach.

I remember when Priest set the TD record, people were wondering about his chances of going to the HOF. Some of it was just talk about what more he would have to do, but it was largely agreed that the precedent set in place was career production above all else, so he would have needed a good handful of successful years following that record season in order to get in.

And now it's just, "Oh, you had a nice little run for a couple seasons? You're in! You're a QB who played 15 seasons? You're in!"

For fuck's sake, these days you could make a fucking argument that Alex Smith's injury recovery was so impressive and brilliant that he deserves to be in the HOF. I'm not saying he should, only that the new standards the NFL has allowed the HOF to become are pretty embarrassing. It's basically now if they like you, you're in.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:32 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
Eli has 2 rings.

Rivers is his generation’s Marino.

Pretty simple.
Oh, I wouldn't go that far with Rivers. He was no Dan Marino.

If Rivers gets in, the I guess the floodgates will open for other non-deserving QB's like Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford (at least to date - maybe he'll do something with the Rams but until he does, he's just another guy with a bunch of stats).

I really hope the writers are smart enough to see that while Rivers has big numbers, he was never able to put the Chargers on his back and will his team to a significant victory, even while playing next to two other Hall of Famers in Tomlinson and Gates.

As for Eli, the dude won two Super Bowls for the New York Giants. He's a shoo-in.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:36 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefGator:
I honestly think Rivers should be in the HOF before Eli.. just too many bad years on Eli's resume.
Terry Bradshaw had 212 TD's and 210 INT's. But he was the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who won 4 Super Bowl titles with him, so he's in the Hall of Fame.

Eli threw 344 TD's vs. 266 INT's and won two Super Bowl titles, one against an 18-0 team.

He's a lock, regardless of his down years.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:41 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
They put Terrell Davis in the goddamn HOF.

Bill Cowher is in the hall in spite of only having one Super Bowl and having a paltry amount of career wins for a HOF coach.

I remember when Priest set the TD record, people were wondering about his chances of going to the HOF.
What's sad is that Davis had a total of 8,887 yards and 60 TD's while playing next to the #1 overall pick in 1983 and a fellow Hall of Famer, while Priest Holmes had 86 TD's and 11,134 total yards while playing next to Trent Dilfer, Tony Banks, Damon Huard and a broken Trent Green.

If there's any organization that needs to clean house, it's the Pro Football Writers of America.

And what's a damn shame is that Terez is no longer here to talk some sense into those morons.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 11:02 PM 06-22-2021
FWiW

Marino - Rivers
240 - 240 - Games started
147- 134 - Wins
8-10 - 5-7 - Playoff record
61K - 63K - Yds
420 - 421 - TDs
252 - 209 - INT
59 - 64 - Comp %
86 - 95 - QB Rating

Some similar passing #s, although Marino played in an era when 3000 yards was a good season compared to 4000 for Rivers
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up