ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>J.J. Abrams' Star Wars vs Star Trek reboot?
sully1983 11:51 AM 06-22-2021
Hey folks I am very curious to know which sci fi franchise you think JJ did a better job on?

I will admit that I throughly enjoyed his Star Trek reboot (Star Trek 2009 & Star Trek Into Darkness) much much more than his Star Wars movies (The Force Awakens & The Rise of Skywalker) .

Star Trek (2009) was a total blast (solid reboot imo) and had such a superior cast of new actors/ characters in it. The chemistry between all the actors/actresses was great and felt totally natural. Also, major kudos to JJ for casting Chris Pine as Kirk! He was born to play that role.

Then there is the bad. I was actually stoked about The Force Awakens after seeing the 1st teaser trailer but was totally let down by it after seeing the film in theaters. I don't even know where to begin haha. I guess I'll start with the new younger cast members who were all lackluster and had zero chemistry together. Plus, Adam Driver as the emo Darth Vader fanboy was pretty fucking terrible/cringeworthy. Couldn't stand him in that role at all. IMO Eric Bana (as Nero) and even Benedict Cumberbatch (as Khan) were much better villains .

I'll probably be in the minority here regarding this topic but I'd love to hear your thoughts . Thanks!
[Reply]
Frazod 02:45 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Another bonus, he was nails as Bones. Hell I thought Chris Pine did great as a young and brash Kirk. They all hit their roles.
Urban was the best of the bunch. It felt like he was channeling DeForest Kelly.
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:46 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:

Another thing I liked about JJ's Star Trek reboot was the casting of Karl Urban as Bones. Urban flat out rules in pretty much everything I've seen him in and he had great comedic timing in those Star Trek films.
There's only one Leonard McCoy:

...uh...but occasionally there are two James T. Kirks:

[Reply]
Donger 02:47 PM 06-22-2021
I didn't see why old Spock needed to be in the movie, but other than that, it was good. Fantastic score, too.
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:49 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
I didn't see why old Spock needed to be in the movie, but other than that, it was good. Fantastic score, too.

It gives the continuity obsessed nerds in the fan base an excuse to believe that everything all still fits together.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:24 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
It gives the continuity obsessed nerds in the fan base an excuse to believe that everything all still fits together.
The story wouldn't have worked without older Spock, so I completely disagree with your premise.

Shatner was originally intended to be in the reboot as well but Abrams ended up cutting that scene.
[Reply]
unlurking 03:49 PM 06-22-2021
They all sucked. :-)
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:24 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The story wouldn't have worked without older Spock, so I completely disagree with your premise.

Shatner was originally intended to be in the reboot as well but Abrams ended up cutting that scene.

What I'm saying is is that they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. On the one hand they want to do a reboot, but on the other they want to draw in as many of the old fans as possible. So instead of having a clean reboot, you say "Actually this is a divergent timeline - all the old stuff still exists." This kind of distinction is very important to some Trek fans.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:54 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
What I'm saying is is that they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. On the one hand they want to do a reboot, but on the other they want to draw in as many of the old fans as possible. So instead of having a clean reboot, you say "Actually this is a divergent timeline - all the old stuff still exists." This kind of distinction is very important to some Trek fans.
"They" are JJ Abrams, not Paramount.

I went to the premiere of the film at Arclight Hollywood back in 2009. At least half the audience was dressed in original series uniforms and everyone seemed to have a great time but of course, any fan base is going to have criticisms from the hardcore fans because it's just impossible to make everyone happy.

I didn't really have a problem with the 2009 reboot and IIRC, the third movie was pretty decent. But they could have trotted out the entire original cast and people still would have been pissed off.

Again, it's impossible to make every fan happy.
[Reply]
sully1983 07:02 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Another bonus, he was nails as Bones. Hell I thought Chris Pine did great as a young and brash Kirk. They all hit their roles.
Hell yeah man Pine was great as Kirk (IMO he is one of the best actors that were born in the 80s ). Sure he has been in some panned clunkers over the years but he impressed me in quite a few films since he got the role of Kirk in Star Trek. (he held his own starring in Unstoppable with Denzel Washington which is not an easy task at all. Great dramatic work in Hell or High Water and thought he was pretty badass as Robert the Bruce in Netflix's Outlaw King. His accent was solid for the most part)
He also has a key uncredited role in the 2014 zany comedy called "Stretch". Flat out awesome/darkly funny performance in that. Highly recommend checking it out to anyone that hasn't seen it yet.
[Reply]
Molitoth 10:03 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by :
(Kirk dumped off the ship, only to find an older Spock and a young Montgomery Scott for starters)
For some reason I thought that Spock KNEW he was going to run into Kirk there, because he knew the past/future or something.

I dunno, time travel stuff.

If it was just coincidence, then yeah... that is dumb.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:13 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
For some reason I thought that Spock KNEW he was going to run into Kirk there, because he knew the past/future or something.

I dunno, time travel stuff.

If it was just coincidence, then yeah... that is dumb.
I rewatched it the other night while on the treadmill and Spock was definitely surprised to see Kirk, just as he was surprised to find Montgomery Scott at the Federation base that was like only 7 kilometers away.

:-)

So, Spock was in an ice cave and some how built a fire to keep away those dragon-type monsters, yet Scotty was less than 3 miles away, and could have just beamed him over had he known they were there. How could Spock's ship have landed so close to that base yet Scotty was unaware?

I swear, JJ Abrams must think he's the smartest man in the world because his narratives are just plain stupid.
[Reply]
Molitoth 10:18 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I rewatched it the other night while on the treadmill and Spock was definitely surprised to see Kirk, just as he was surprised to find Montgomery Scott at the Federation base that was like only 7 kilometers away.

:-)

So, Spock was in an ice cave and some how built a fire to keep away those dragon-type monsters, yet Scotty was less than 3 miles away, and could have just beamed him over had he known they were there. How could Spock's ship have landed so close to that base yet Scotty was unaware?

I swear, JJ Abrams must think he's the smartest man in the world because his narratives are just plain stupid.
Yeah, I remember Spock looking surprised to see Kirk... but I thought he was just trying to play it off.

I suppose I gave JJ too much credit.

Would be an interesting interview question to ask him...

"So uhhh Mr. Abrams, do you realize how _______ this coincidence is?"
[Reply]
Fish 10:24 PM 06-22-2021
Turd burger, or shit sammich sir?
[Reply]
DanBecky 10:22 AM 06-23-2021
My favorite thing about 2009 Star Trek was Karl Urban. His Bones was great. That movie is really rewatchable for me. Never did watch Star Trek growing up at all, even though I knew most of the characters in the show.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:49 AM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by DanBecky:
Never did watch Star Trek growing up at all, even though I knew most of the characters in the show.

2/3 of the original series sucks, but there are some good episodes too; you should check some out. At least watch City on the Edge of Forever, it's a classic.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up