ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 67
« First < 23456 789101656 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Nick Bolton Thread*****
Dante84 07:05 PM 04-30-2021
More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Bolton played in all 13 games as a true freshman (22 tackles, one sack) after earning Dallas Morning News first-team all-state honors at Lone Star High School (130 tackles, 16 for loss, five interceptions). He went from promising youngster to SEC star in 2019, earning first-team all-conference honors after leading the league with 8.9 tackles per game (107 total, 7.5 for loss), intercepting two passes and breaking up eight others in 12 starts. He was named second-team Associated Press All-American, first-team All-SEC and a Butkus Award finalist in 2020, leading his defense with 95 tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss (including two sacks), while breaking up five passes in 10 starts. Bolton's father, Carlos, played football at Louisiana Tech. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
When you think about strong, forceful inside linebackers, Bolton is the type of player you might be envisioning. He's going to fall below typical NFL starter standards from a size standpoint, but his rugged frame and forceful demeanor help make up for it. Play recognition and pursuit instincts help carry him to the football and he's a message-sending striker when he gets the runner squared up. He has functional short-area burst between the tackles but will struggle to run down the outside run if he's not close enough to the action. He will need to lean heavier on his instincts to help speed him up because of size and speed limitations. Bolton plays with good field recognition when dropping into zone and has a history of making plays on the football in coverage. He's a three-down linebacker who can make an immediate contribution on special teams and has the potential to become a future starter.
Strengths
  • Very tough with a physical edge.
  • Plays with demeanor teams look for in the middle.
  • Field-savvy with instincts to diagnose misdirection.
  • Identifies and communicates.
  • Heavy hands with good pop to take on blocks.
  • Pursues ball-carrier with patience and leverage.
  • Fluid alterations to his pursuit angles.
  • Excellent feel for attack timing downhill.
  • Meets runners with violent collisions in the hole.
  • Strikes like he's trying to send a message.
  • Great awareness and ballhawking as spot dropper.
  • Has enough man-cover talent to play on all three downs.
  • Thrived on kick- and punt-cover teams early in his career.
Weaknesses
  • Average lateral quickness traps him behind climbing blocks.
  • Inconsistent to strike and separate from blockers.
  • Needs to improve angles to elude box traffic.
  • Might need to take a few more chances as a pro.
  • Top-end speed appears below average.
  • Loses ground when pursuit flows wide.
  • Below-average lateral agility as open-field tackler.
  • Will have to play quicker to deal with NFL slashers.

.@_nickbolton2 gets the call from One Arrowhead Drive �� pic.twitter.com/1XgaCeBy8R

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 1, 2021

[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:47 PM 04-30-2021
Typical haters in here that wanted a receiver. We have 2 elite targets in HIll and Kelce and this new offensive line will make any #3 and #4 look good with Mahomes and the Defense not being able to drop 7-8 every down...
[Reply]
TEX 07:47 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Like haven't done my research, the dude is drag down tackler and is an average athlete.

:-)
Undersized and not real fast either. I dont like the pick but the Chiefs have time to coach him up. Im sure they know a lot more than me.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 07:47 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by Basileus777:
You're telling me they didn't get a guaranteed star with the 58th pick?

Minimize expectations, this kid isn't a freak like Thornhill.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:49 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by TEX:
Undersized and not real fast either. I dont like the pick but the Chiefs have time to coach him up. Im sure they know a lot more than me.
Andy Reid went out of his way to talk about how smart Bolton is.

He's going to be calling the defense once Hitchens is gone.

That's a really, really important piece.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 07:50 PM 04-30-2021
I just can’t get excited about this with basham still on the board. I get it, but I’m hurt.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:50 PM 04-30-2021
Here are the pro's from my draft guide, tell me whats not to like...

Bolton is a fast flowing LB who seems to thrive of collisions - either with the ball carrier or his blockers. His physical style and football character are off the charts. Diagnoses and attacks downhill, looking for the shortest path to the ball. He moves with a suddenness that often catches blockers on their heels. He has plenty of pop as a tackler despite his relatively small size. His pure speed allows him to get sideline to sideline as well as closing as a blitzer

Cons - mostly vague complaints about his short stature at 6'0, arm length, and ability to cover big TE's

Someone should've told Mike Singletary he wasn't big enough to whip ass...
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:50 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

^This^ we can't pay Hitchens money to a LB in 2022
[Reply]
carcosa 07:50 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Like haven't done my research, the dude is drag down tackler and is an average athlete.

:-)
Not seeing a lot of drag down tackles in his highlights... seems like a hard hitter in fact!!!!
[Reply]
staylor26 07:51 PM 04-30-2021
I don’t care about the 40 time and other measurables.

Dude FLIES around the field and hits like a fucking truck.
[Reply]
New World Order 07:53 PM 04-30-2021
I feel like we got a Derrick Johnsonish player here
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:55 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I just can’t get excited about this with basham still on the board. I get it, but I’m hurt.
Awwww....it will be ok boo boo.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:55 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
He got picked before us didn't he?

NM was thinking Creed sorry
[Reply]
kccrow 07:55 PM 04-30-2021
You guys are way overblowing LB athleticism. He ran a 4.59.

Fred Warner ran a 4.64
Lavonte David ran a 4.65
CJ Mosley ran a 4.64
Darius Leonard ran a 4.70
Eric Kendricks ran a 4.61

Not like you guys wouldn't take those guys on the team.

I'd have liked to see his jumps a little better, but its not bad or out of range too far from most of those guys. He can run just as well as them. And he hits like a truck.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:55 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Here are the pro's from my draft guide, tell me whats not to like...

Bolton is a fast flowing LB who seems to thrive of collisions - either with the ball carrier or his blockers. His physical style and football character are off the charts. Diagnoses and attacks downhill, looking for the shortest path to the ball. He moves with a suddenness that often catches blockers on their heels. He has plenty of pop as a tackler despite his relatively small size. His pure speed allows him to get sideline to sideline as well as closing as a blitzer

Cons - mostly vague complaints about his short stature at 6'0, arm length, and ability to cover big TE's

Someone should've told Mike Singletary he wasn't big enough to whip ass...
He's a natural middle linebacker, he's not going to cover TE's a whole lot at all.

That's kind of silly.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:55 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

It also bodes well for him getting on the field faster than Gay did last year.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 67
« First < 23456 789101656 > Last »
Up