ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Netflix Series: The Last Kingdom
wazu 02:49 PM 06-21-2021
Anybody else watch this? It's kind of a wannabe Game of Thrones, but in an actual historical setting in 9th-10th century England. That time period includes the rise/reign of Alfred the Great, which coincides with full-scale invasion by Vikings. It's a mix of fictional and historical figures, with the main character being fictional. The Vikings, known in the show as the "Danes" are pretty savage. In GoT probably most comparable to House Bolton. Just finished Season 4, and sounds like Season 5 is in the works, so I can't be the only one who watched.

Would recommend for anybody who enjoys learning about history. The show could probably stand on it's own just fine if it was completely fictional, but the fact that it's not adds a lot for me. Just looking at some expert blog posts about accuracy they do take liberties to make it more Hollywood, but did not completely de-rail from what is historically known. For me watching a series on a historical period burns in the timeline and the key players, forces, and themes to memory better than just spending an hour surfing through wiki pages would. Curious what others think on this one.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:21 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Solid 8.5 out of 10, filled my weird itch for GoT styled TV series. Sucks they had to stuff 3 series worth of material into one season at the end but at least we got a proper finale.

Absolutely worth a watch and the guy playing Uhtred is killer.
There is nothing groundbreaking here, but the first part isn't a bad watch. At the end he reads famous lines as Uhtred. I laughed my ass off. If you're interested.

[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 11:55 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
There is nothing groundbreaking here, but the first part isn't a bad watch. At the end he reads famous lines as Uhtred. I laughed my ass off. If you're interested.

That part at the end was great! Thanks for posting.
[Reply]
A8bil 12:37 PM 03-29-2022
That was fun...reminds me of a schtick I watched of Penn Badgley doing his "You" character narrating some random text...pretty funny when the voice and character are so familiar.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:53 PM 04-03-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Yes, if you want the full continuity. The Last Kingdom slightly overlaps with the "Vikings"narrative

Um...OK. So I watched season 1 of Vikings. It was...OK...I guess. I watched the first 2 eps of season 2 and just decided I didn't give a shit about these characters. Ragnar is not some forceful well rounded character. He mostly just smiles smugly and doesn't have much to say. He's surrounded by a cast that is well acted (I suppose) but there's not much to these people either. I mean, the way Rollo swapped right at the end of season 1...then within literally 10 minutes of season 2 is defeated in battle was just...what?? Then we see Ragnar has his son with the Big Teeth broad, his first son leaves with his wife, and Rollo is a mess...then suddenly Ragnars 2nd son with Big Teeth shows up, quite literally after the commercial break...

This show is all over the place. They are not developing characters, in my opinion. They are just moving along. The Last Kingdom was such an excellent example of character arc...Vikings just...sucks...sorry. I probably would have liked it better had I not already seen TLK.

Then my wife read that Valhalla Vikings takes place 100 years after Ragnar's death, so yeah, its SORT OF a follow up to Vikings, but hell, it is more of a follow up to TLK. I'm 2 eps in and I like it so far. It's not great, but it's better than Vikings. JMO.

I don't think you need to waste your time on Vikings to watch this one...better to watch TLK to get a feel for the times the show is about.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:16 PM 08-27-2022
Just finished season 4. This series is a solid thumbs up. Quality writing, acting and producing IMO.
[Reply]
kevrunner 09:31 PM 04-15-2023
Netflix has the conclusion of The Last Kingdom available now, it’s called “Seven Kings Must Die”.

[Reply]
Buehler445 07:12 AM 04-16-2023
Originally Posted by kevrunner:
Netflix has the conclusion of The Last Kingdom available now, it’s called “Seven Kings Must Die”.

IN.
[Reply]
RustShack 07:03 PM 04-16-2023
I watched two or three seasons. It’s been a few years. I liked it a lot but definitely behind I believe there’s been some new seasons since.
[Reply]
morphius 07:12 AM 04-18-2023
Picked it up again, always struggle with it as it so overlaps Vikings that it feels like almost the same show with different faces. So I've just struggled to connect with it. But I saw that the movie was released, so I figured I'd finish it before watching that.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:18 PM 04-18-2023
Seven Kings Must Die is pretty goddamned satisfying.

I've never held this up as the best series ever, and especially not historically accurate, but it is enjoyable. And the movie had me sucked in as per usual.

And it has the added benefit of reminding me that I don't call enough people assling in my life.
[Reply]
kevrunner 11:08 PM 04-18-2023
Seven Kings Must Die is pretty goddamned satisfying.

I've never held this up as the best series ever, and especially not historically accurate, but it is enjoyable. And the movie had me sucked in as per usual.

And it has the added benefit of reminding me that I don't call enough people assling in my life.
I enjoyed Seven Kings Must Die, it would have been more satisfying if we had gotten a final season instead but at least Netflix gave us this movie. I’m surely going to miss Uhtred of Bebbanburg.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:44 AM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by kevrunner:
I enjoyed Seven Kings Must Die, it would have been more satisfying if we had gotten a final season instead but at least Netflix gave us this movie. I’m surely going to miss Uhtred of Bebbanburg.
Certainly. It felt like the first part was rushed like it had been written for 8 or 10 episodes.

Eh. They got the important parts right and they spent some money on the battles.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 09:13 AM 04-19-2023
Certainly. It felt like the first part was rushed like it had been written for 8 or 10 episodes.

Eh. They got the important parts right and they spent some money on the battles.
if you're going to rush a conclusion, they did it about as well as you can. Take Note Game of Thrones.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 05:13 PM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Which makes sense. I never got to Vikings, was just mentioning to the wife the other day that we should look into that one, though it does have a lot of seasons, so a lot to catch up on. Do I need to watch Vikings to understand Valhalla?
To me Vikings was waaaaay better than Valhalla. Loved Vikings, and Last Kingdom! Didn’t like the movie that much though.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up