ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>2022 Draft: Who should we be watching on Saturdays?
Dante84 10:30 AM 10-07-2021
Admittedly, I don't really dig in deep on college football players until the season ends. For me, there's just too much noise, too many teams, too many players to really gauge anything beyond the obvious 1st round guys, especially when my attention is already super invested in the Chiefs & NFL.

That said, as I watch the Chiefs, my interest in thinking about our next draft gets me excited, so much to the point that I'm interested in carving out time mid-week (Wednesdays?) to try and watch some highlights.

So, who are you watching that would be a good fit for this roster next season? First round talent is great, but also some under the radar guys would be cool to get an early jump on.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:43 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It’s likely one of Metchie, Jameson Williams, Garret Wilson or Chris olave will be available to the Chiefs at 32.

Not sure all end up being worth a pick that high. Metchie is most likely to be available, but he has struggled against man press this year, so…
Good news is if they're in man, Hill and Kelce will RAPE
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:16 PM 11-30-2021
Brugler has Hutchinson going #1 overall.

So at least I can say I knew him when...
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:58 PM 11-30-2021
Drake London should probably be a consideration if they go WR in the 1st, as well. He's a Michael Pittman/Chase Claypool type of guy. Would be a nice complement to work the middle of the field, and he's got experience working from the slot as well as outside (unlike a lot of HULK-sized WR).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:24 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Drake London should probably be a consideration if they go WR in the 1st, as well. He's a Michael Pittman/Chase Claypool type of guy. Would be a nice complement to work the middle of the field, and he's got experience working from the slot as well as outside (unlike a lot of HULK-sized WR).
I think the need for a 'big' WR is overstated. What we need is a smooth, technically sound, smart WR.

Mahomes isn't going to throw contested balls. Frankly he's just too good to need to do that and we have Kelce for the next few years at least if he ever feels compelled to.

All the hems and cries over losing DK Metcalf just don't sound for me because that's not who Mahomes will truly get the most out of. But that's why losing Terry McLaurin kills me - Mahomes would make magic with McLaurin in the X. It's why I wanted Brandon Aiyuk so badly.

For me the guy in this draft with those traits is Chris Olave. He's polished, he's smart, he's smooth. He's a good player. Maybe not the ceiling of a long-term Z, but a turnkey X, IMO. Obviously I like Wilson but he won't be there. I really like Metchie a lot and if him and Olave were both somehow available, I think I'd trade some of Olave's polish and floor for the potential and explosion that Metchie could provide as well.

I just have little use for hulking WRs. That's not the offense we run, nor should it be. Very few of those kinds of guys truly turn into a Mike Evans type. Most just kind of fade away.
[Reply]
Dante84 03:55 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think the need for a 'big' WR is overstated. What we need is a smooth, technically sound, smart WR.

Mahomes isn't going to throw contested balls. Frankly he's just too good to need to do that and we have Kelce for the next few years at least if he ever feels compelled to.

All the hems and cries over losing DK Metcalf just don't sound for me because that's not who Mahomes will truly get the most out of. But that's why losing Terry McLaurin kills me - Mahomes would make magic with McLaurin in the X. It's why I wanted Brandon Aiyuk so badly.

For me the guy in this draft with those traits is Chris Olave. He's polished, he's smart, he's smooth. He's a good player. Maybe not the ceiling of a long-term Z, but a turnkey X, IMO. Obviously I like Wilson but he won't be there. I really like Metchie a lot and if him and Olave were both somehow available, I think I'd trade some of Olave's polish and floor for the potential and explosion that Metchie could provide as well.

I just have little use for hulking WRs. That's not the offense we run, nor should it be. Very few of those kinds of guys truly turn into a Mike Evans type. Most just kind of fade away.
I just want a dude who can be moderately fast, have elite route-running skills, and elite hands. I don't need him to have the biggest arms in the world like DK, but I'd also prefer him to not have toothpicks like Hardman.

Gotta fight through the press and also hold onto the ball. I think aside from the bone-head stuff that Hardman does, one of the low-key most irritating things to me is that he didn't use his first 3 years to build up his arm strength.

EDIT: You know what? I went and looked to see what his bench was at the combine, and he did a better than average 17. McLaurin only did 18, DK did 27 (lol). So, what gives? Is just a lazy fuck, or what?
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 04:04 PM 11-30-2021
I thought a big type receiver was what this offense needed to. Now not so much, we just need receivers that can get open and catch the ball. That being said...idk if WR is a priority for me with the first pick or even the second.

I still think Chase Claypool would have been a monster in this offense though
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 04:09 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
I just want a dude who can be moderately fast, have elite route-running skills, and elite hands. I don't need him to have the biggest arms in the world like DK, but I'd also prefer him to not have toothpicks like Hardman.

Gotta fight through the press and also hold onto the ball. I think aside from the bone-head stuff that Hardman does, one of the low-key most irritating things to me is that he didn't use his first 3 years to build up his arm strength.

EDIT: You know what? I went and looked to see what his bench was at the combine, and he did a better than average 17. McLaurin only did 18, DK did 27 (lol). So, what gives? Is just a lazy ****, or what?
You guys underestimate Hardman and have lofty expectations on him at the same time. Hardman is a tough runner so he's obviously not weak.....at the draft was scouted as lacking in a lot of the technical aspects of playing WR. I think either he doesn't have it between the ears, or he just isn't dedicating himself the the game like he needs to
[Reply]
Dante84 04:10 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
I thought a big type receiver was what this offense needed to. Now not so much, we just need receivers that can get open and catch the ball. That being said...idk if WR is a priority for me with the first pick or even the second.

I still think Chase Claypool would have been a monster in this offense though
Yeah, Claypool has really been fantastic in Pitt, would have loved to see him with Mahomes.

Do you think in this draft that Edge #5-7 will be more impactful than WR #4-6? Obviously we're all making guesses here, but I just wonder about positional value + BPA for our late pick.

Who knows if Safety #3 might be there as well...?

I gotta dig in on the players pretty soon. Gettin' the itch.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:11 PM 11-30-2021

Yeah, I generally agree and hadn't really been thinking about him. When I saw him mocked to KC by Brugler, I took a second look.

I don't think he's "Just" a big WR. He worked out of the slot a lot at USC and won both by being big/physiacal and also by running good routes and making plays after the catch.

I like Olave a lot but see his stock rising unless he runs slow or something. I like Metchie but am not convinced he will be able to beat man coverage consistently. Same thing with Jameson Williams.

I could see London fitting into what KC likes to do while also bringing something new to the table.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:36 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
You guys underestimate Hardman and have lofty expectations on him at the same time. Hardman is a tough runner so he's obviously not weak.....at the draft was scouted as lacking in a lot of the technical aspects of playing WR. I think either he doesn't have it between the ears, or he just isn't dedicating himself the the game like he needs to
Huh?

I've seen a half-dozen occasions this season where he could've tried to finish a run for a first down or TD and coasted OOB or allowed himself to be stood up by a DB. He alligator armed a pass over the middle in Dallas as well.

He's not a tough runner. Sometimes his speed brings with inertia with it that allows him to get through weak contact, but if someone has an angle on him, he'll either duck it or get smoked.

Tough is pretty much the last label I'd attach to him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:45 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Yeah, Claypool has really been fantastic in Pitt, would have loved to see him with Mahomes.

Do you think in this draft that Edge #5-7 will be more impactful than WR #4-6? Obviously we're all making guesses here, but I just wonder about positional value + BPA for our late pick.

Who knows if Safety #3 might be there as well...?

I gotta dig in on the players pretty soon. Gettin' the itch.
I'll be honest - Brugler's draft has Demarvin Leal going right after we pick. If he's on the board and we took a WR, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Leal would be a godsent to this defensive line. Extremely powerful at the point of attack, very good athleticism and solid bend. He has plus technique and a heck of a punch. And at 290 lbs, if Ingram were to re-sign and someone like Kaindoh developed, Leal would be a true inside/outside possibility. You could put a NASCAR package with him in the middle alongside Jones and destroy creation.

This guy is a born SDE in this system. He's not a wide-9 sort of LEO pass rusher, but he can give you 8-10 sacks/season as he gets up to speed, IMO.

Long-term he could be a Calais Campbell/Cameron Jordan sort of player, IMO. He has that kind of ability.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:47 PM 11-30-2021
At some point we need to recognize that when you have the highest paid QB in football, it's on him as well to turn some mid/late round picks into contributors.

You can't just keep throwing assets at skill position players to make life easier on your half a billion dollar QB. Oh sure, throw assets at his OL to keep him healthy, but he needs to be making his WRs better.

He can't do a damn thing to help his DL, but he should be able to get some productivity out of 2nd and 3rd round WRs (who aren't braindead; Hardman's on Veach). So if there's a close call on players, I'm simply going to go with the position that the baddest man on the planet can't do much to elevate. So it's unlikely I'd be in favor of a 1st round WR.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 05:11 PM 11-30-2021
Huh?

I've seen a half-dozen occasions this season where he could've tried to finish a run for a first down or TD and coasted OOB or allowed himself to be stood up by a DB. He alligator armed a pass over the middle in Dallas as well.

He's not a tough runner. Sometimes his speed brings with inertia with it that allows him to get through weak contact, but if someone has an angle on him, he'll either duck it or get smoked.

Tough is pretty much the last label I'd attach to him.
I don't think I've seen a dozen opportunities for Hardman period. But in the games I've seen where he does get one he either drops it or makes a bonehead play. But I have seen make some pretty tough yards after the catch for a 180lb receiver as well
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:01 PM 11-30-2021
I'll be honest - Brugler's draft has Demarvin Leal going right after we pick. If he's on the board and we took a WR, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Leal would be a godsent to this defensive line. Extremely powerful at the point of attack, very good athleticism and solid bend. He has plus technique and a heck of a punch. And at 290 lbs, if Ingram were to re-sign and someone like Kaindoh developed, Leal would be a true inside/outside possibility. You could put a NASCAR package with him in the middle alongside Jones and destroy creation.

This guy is a born SDE in this system. He's not a wide-9 sort of LEO pass rusher, but he can give you 8-10 sacks/season as he gets up to speed, IMO.

Long-term he could be a Calais Campbell/Cameron Jordan sort of player, IMO. He has that kind of ability.

I feel the same way about Travon Walker. Inside/outside guy who is a rare athlete for a dude his size. Either one would be an exciting round 1 add.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:03 AM 12-01-2021
How about a compromise between Olave and London.

Doesn't Treylon Burks seem like something of a middle ground between the two? Seems a little more agile than London, a little bigger and more explosive than Olave.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up