ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Here's a grab bag of 2022 priorities I think we should pursue.
Direckshun 12:43 PM 11-19-2021
Here's some priorities I think the Chiefs should pursue. There's no logic to this thread, just some solutions as to what the Chiefs should do and why.

1. Re-sign Mike Remmers.

The Chiefs clearly are going to be hamstrung with Wylie at RT. Niang and Remmers are a decent one-two punch at the RT position, and Remmers is clearly superior. Niang is still going to be on the roster in 2022 so Remmers allows you another year of competition at the spot.

I'd like Schwartz to come out of retirement but that's not likely, nor is it likely we could afford him or any top-shelf RT option if he did. Remmers allows us a degree of competence at a good price.

2. Re-sign Melvin Ingram.

The Chiefs are going to cut Frank Clark unless he goes absolutely berzerker for the next couple of months, and the Chiefs are going to need to fix the DE position to make it more dependable with clear-cut starters, like they have right now. The best way they can do that is to ink Ingram for a couple more years and allow the Chiefs stability at the position that they're going to need while they transition to a younger DE corps.

Signing Ingram won't break the bank and it will allow the Chiefs to make a couple more splash moves, such as what I'd prefer: signing Von Miller and drafting a DE in the 1st.

3. Let Mathieu walk and invest at safety in the 1st or second round.

Mathieu is going to cost too much money that we simply aren't going to have. The Chiefs need to find a tertiary receiving threat, which is going to cost money, tag Orlando Brown, and land a splash defensive end. That's all going to cost money, and while Mathieu has been invaluable, he's simply priced out of our price range. This has been a top-heavy team for a while, and it needs to find a way to spread that cap wealth around more.

That being said, since the safety position is going to be barren, the Chiefs will need to make some midlevel signings and a high draft pick.

4. If a dynamic RB with good size falls to us on the 2nd day of the draft, the Chiefs should be way more interested than some might think.

The Chiefs offense is just losing too much dynamism at the RB position. And while it has some power with Williams/Gore, it's clear they don't have a ton of faith in them if they're willing to run Blake Bell on power downs.

5. The priorities for this team need to be WR, DE, and S (assuming Mathieu walks), but if the right LT falls to us in the first, I'd pull the trigger over all of them.

The most important job is to protect Mahomes. The Chiefs have a capable answer at LT in Brown for 2022, as they'll likely tag him. But RT is still only (competent) JAGs and solidifying that position would allow Mahomes to be Mahomes, and will give the Chiefs an important bargaining chip with Orlando Brown in 2023.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:13 PM 11-19-2021
1. Re-sign Mike Remmers.

I agree with signing a veteran, I just don't know that it's Remmers at 33. I kind of like Geron Christian as a swing-tackle backup at 26 years old if he's willing to take another cheap deal. There's plenty of other options out there too.

2. Re-sign Melvin Ingram.

If he's on board, I'm on board. The Chiefs need a few pass rushers in the offseason and a guy that will be familiar with the system, assuming Spags is retained, is beneficial.

3. Let Mathieu walk and invest at safety in the 1st or second round.

RE: Mathieu, I wouldn't let the door hit his ass fast enough.

As for a 1st round safety, he better be special and I don't know if I see that caliber of a player outside of Hamilton and he's going in the top 10 in all likelihood. There are some solid free agents and a pretty solid draft. Day 2 is going to be a sweet spot for some talent there in my opinion.

4. If a dynamic RB with good size falls to us on the 2nd day of the draft, the Chiefs should be way more interested than some might think.

Fuck that. Bigger priorities on this team. There will be some really solid options in FA. Take a shot late with one of their half-dozen 7th round picks if you want to fancy up the room.

5. The priorities for this team need to be WR, DE, and S (assuming Mathieu walks), but if the right LT falls to us in the first, I'd pull the trigger over all of them.

Agree on the LT front to a good extent. I firmly believe that, even though Brown isn't the worst LT in the world, he 100% doesn't fit the way Mahomes plays. If a guy like Nick Petit-Frere is there, I'm absolutely pulling the trigger. Do I think he's there? No. Do I think a good edge will be? Yes.

WR in 1 is fools gold IMO. I mean, if the Chiefs are picking 28 or later, I'm not going to bitch about the right guy. That said I really don't think I forsee a great fit as a #2 right there this year. Maybe, we'll see how it shakes out.

If it isn't LT or ER, then I'd be more inclined to say CB and move Sneed into a permanent role at S.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:20 PM 11-20-2021
It's going to be an interesting offseason to follow, for sure.

I think it's most likely they end up with a DE in the 1st, given where they're likely to pick.

Myjai Sanders is probably the best pure speed rush type to be available there, but I'm intrigued by Georgia's Trevon Walker. He's a bigger DE (6-6/270) but does have some bend and has been the key outside guy on an elite D. He also has enough fluidity to drop in coverage on occasion. Walker is a 1st/2nd round grade right now, but I'm thinking KC would have to take him in the 1st to have a shot.

I think there will be RB options in FA and late in the draft that would make sense for KC. I really like Chris Rodriguez, Jr. out of Kentucky. I see a lot of Kareem Hunt in him... thick guy, not a deep burner but has good initial quickness and GREAT contact balance.

Bernard Raimann out of Central Michigan is a LT I'm interested in for KC. He's from Germany and still a little raw, but very athletic and has drawn good reviews for his footwork and technique. More of a 3rd round grade right now.

I ran a Draft Network mock this morning for fun ... but don't place much stock in it because I don't believe the Chiefs are drafting 22nd, but here's where i landed:

1. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas. I like the fit if he's available to them. Don't expect that to happen.

2. Trevon Walker, DE, Georgia. Thoughts above, but he's versatile and fits what they do in this D well. Probably can play either end in this scheme; LE only in more traditional even schemes.

3. Bernard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan. I think he's a future top 10 NFL LT, if he gets good coaching for a year or so.

4. Bubba Bolden, S, Miami. This would be a dream. He's a great athlete and big hitter with box coverage ability. Would spruce up the dime set nicely, replacing Sorenson.

5. Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State. This is just a size/athletic ability/trait pick. He's got some I like.

6. Chris Rodriguez, Jr. RB, Kentucky. Thoughts above.

7a. CB depth, I forget who it was now.

7b. OL depth, I forget who it was now.

Like I said, too early to predict with any certainty what will happen, but I would be stoked if the Chiefs could do something like this (maybe swap the DE and WR picks and make it Myjai Sanders and George Pickens or Romeo Doubs, instead). KC would need to add veteran help at S and DE in this scenario (Melvin Ingram and a FA safety, in all likelihood, I think) but fun to move the pieces around and imagine it.
[Reply]
Direckshun 04:08 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
1. Re-sign Mike Remmers.

I agree with signing a veteran, I just don't know that it's Remmers at 33. I kind of like Geron Christian as a swing-tackle backup at 26 years old if he's willing to take another cheap deal. There's plenty of other options out there too.
You and I are looking for two different things.

You're looking for a cheap, affordable swing tackle. That's fine, and you're right that there are younger options that won't cost much.

But I'm looking for a starting RT we can play and not sweat too much, who won't cost us bank. And the answer to that question is in house right now.

Remmers is not reliable to start 17 games, but that's why you have Niang for 2022.

Originally Posted by kccrow:

**** that. Bigger priorities on this team. There will be some really solid options in FA. Take a shot late with one of their half-dozen 7th round picks if you want to fancy up the room.
That's all fine and dancy but that's been the approach we've taken at the position aside from CEH and it's left us with a RB room that's without gamebreaking talent.

I'm not saying we need a Jamaal Charles. But even a JK Dobbins opens this offense way up. Andy Reid doesn't trust anybody in that room right now.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:53 AM 11-22-2021
I'm fine with keeping Remmers and Ingram. I think Wanegho is your developmental swing tackle, if he can outplay Remmers then great.

I think at DE you need to sign a vet and draft one high.

In general, I'm a fan of doubling up at positions of need; sign a steady vet and draft a youngster with upside. This should raise your floor at that position.

At RB, I'm for a mid-round draftee.

At S, it's more about looking for specific traits if you're looking at a HB replacement. Those aren't traits that push a guy to round one; that's why HB himself wasn't a first rounder. Extremely high football intelligence is what you're looking for, not size and 40 time. That looks like rounds 3-4 to me.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:55 AM 11-22-2021
I believe HB was a first round talent but was flagged, rightly or wrongly, for character issues.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:22 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I believe HB was a first round talent but was flagged, rightly or wrongly, for character issues.
and for being too small, and not fast enough.
[Reply]
Up