ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 172
« First < 283435363738 394041424888138 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:39 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by NewChief:
New seasons of:
Black Mirror
The clear cream of the crop.

Sad thing is if you binge it's a very short season. I guess that BBC influence.

These creators need more $$$ and more eps and this may become THE show Netflix can hang it's hat on. It's that good.

Black Mirror does it right. There are nods to themes but nothing smashes you over the head with anything. It makes you think.

It honors the original Twilight Zone...
[Reply]
sully1983 10:51 AM 01-11-2018
^^^^
looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. Haven't even started Season 1 of Black Mirror yet so I will be binge watching it this weekend. I've only heard good things about it
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 10:52 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Yep, I'm 2 episodes in and really like it. Likely finish it this weekend.

I don't necessarily seek out foreign shows, but I do like how the subtitles command my attention.
Did you finish Frozen Dead?
[Reply]
Rausch 11:24 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by sully1983:
^^^^
looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. Haven't even started Season 1 of Black Mirror yet so I will be binge watching it this weekend. I've only heard good things about it
Season 1 is amazing. It really is a futuristic Twilight Zone done well.

Very well in fact.
[Reply]
Rausch 11:25 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Did you finish Bubba Ho Tep like I asked you to?...
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:44 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
I did. I thought it was a very good story that was well cast and filmed for a crime fiction series. The way the story unraveled and left off made for a nice appetizer for a 2nd season. Mostly though, I liked the French Pyrenees setting. Cool to see that part of the world, plus it felt warm here while watching it.
[Reply]
NewChief 02:48 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by sully1983:
^^^^
Just as a suggestion: skip s1e1 and start with s1e2. It’s an anthology series, so each episode is unrelated beyond the theme of dark near future so there is no harm in skipping around. . A lot of people have been turned off by first episode of series (I didn’t mind it) and stopped there.

Recommendation is usually to start with a different episode (take your pick) then watch S1E1 later.
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:02 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Rausch:
:-)
That's exactly what I would've said 48 hours ago.

I kid you not, I like more shows on CW right now than I do on ABC, CBS and Fox combined. They have some pretty good shit. Surprisingly.

I did catch the Callister ep of Black Mirror. Also good shit
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01-11-2018, 06:41 PM
This message has been deleted by Baby Lee.
mr. tegu 08:51 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Just as a suggestion: skip s1e1 and start with s1e2. It’s an anthology series, so each episode is unrelated beyond the theme of dark near future so there is no harm in skipping around. . A lot of people have been turned off by first episode of series (I didn’t mind it) and stopped there.

Recommendation is usually to start with a different episode (take your pick) then watch S1E1 later.

I have only watched the first season. I had no idea what the show was about or how it was set up and that first episode is definitely a big shocker.

I haven’t started season 2 yet but glancing at the episode descriptions they seemed quite odd. I’m guessing it’s pretty pointless to determine watching them based on those though.
[Reply]
kcpasco 12:58 AM 01-14-2018
Anyone watched or is watching Godless on Netflix? I’m about halfway through it and it’s really good if you like westerns.
[Reply]
blackkatesmiranda 07:25 PM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So I made it through all the Mad Men series. Fucking amazing. Great acting, plot keeps it's claws in you. Outfuckingstanding. It is absolutely refreshing. Not only is it an interesting and excellent concept, but it is amazingly executed and acted. It is really great.

In other news, I'm surprised (pleasantly) that it is successful. In the fucking trash-reality, ADD society we live in, it is not mindless entertainment. It is precisely the opposite of Michael Bay. And while I love the shit out of it, I'm surprised there is enough viewership that loves it too. Maybe there is hope (probably not)

I also caught Firefly. Some of the production was weak, but I really liked it. A lot. Damn disappointed it didn't get a second season.

Also about to finish House up. It is probably time for it to go, but I really like the the series. I think it will probably go down as one of my favorites.
Mad Men is truly outstanding.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:17 PM 01-17-2018
Here is one so cool looking, that I'm thinking of finding a way to cheat to watch it since I know next to nothing about Amazon

Jean Claude Van Damme plays a washed up action hero, who comes back to showbiz... but the comeback is only cover for his new career as a James Bond-type spy hero

Looks genuinely cool and hilarious IMO

[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:28 PM 01-17-2018
Speaking of Amazon, The Tick got a 2nd season renewal today.
[Reply]
Miles 05:52 PM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
Anyone watched or is watching Godless on Netflix? I’m about halfway through it and it’s really good if you like westerns.
Watched it over the holidays and enjoyed it as well. Some of the visuals and scenerry were really great. Particularly if you have 4K HDR.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:12 AM 01-20-2018
Anyone catch High Maintenance?

It's not 'must see' but it's pretty decent. It follows around a weed dealer in Manhattan, to serve as a surrogate/gatekeeper for the stories of his clients.

Season 2 premiered last night, and it's safe to say it made the best, most subtle [it doesn't even name the 'calamity' or the date or anything. It's treated as a 'generic' tragedy], use of the 2016 election by putting him as a fly on the wall as people were scarfing his product up with abandon the day after.

This is a short overview of the premise

And here's a teaser for the season to come

It used to be a web series before HBO bought it up, and the 2 seasons it was on youtube are archived here

https://mega.nz/#F!1VQm1DKA!rADF_L1buF77V8juTlnKAQ
[Reply]
Page 38 of 172
« First < 283435363738 394041424888138 > Last »
Up