ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's all wildly speculate about playcalling.
Direckshun 08:58 AM 12-06-2021
So it has seemed that the playcalling is off this year, no question. It has led a lot of people to speculate that Andy Reid is not making all of the calls.

I personally was not in those ranks; I didn't think there was any chance the Chiefs, who just signed a franchise QB to a half a billion dollar contract, would change up playcalling during a Super Bowl window.

But I do think the Mahomes/Bienemy spat on the sideline gave the game away (because why yell at Bienemy if you hate the playcalls?). And just so you don't think I started a thread based on only my intuition, my suspicions were echoed by extremely sharp Chiefs analysts Tod Palmer and Nick Jacobs on their "4th & 1" podcast. They don't think Reid is calling all the plays.

There is some circumstantial evidence to that. The Chiefs have been run-happier-than-usual on 2nd & longs for much of the season.

We've also seen Mahomes demand plays coming in repeatedly this year, which I've suspected was a kind of angst or anxiety but I think what's happening there is Bienemy's playcalling rhythms may be slower than Reid's, with whom Pat's synced up with for years.

I think I read Mahomes' lips during the sideline spat, saying "call the fucking play" and "call it." Which could very well be a dispute over the playcalling itself, or really just the rhythm.

Either way, that may account for some wonkiness in Mahomes' play this year.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:54 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, I went back and watched that. Baffling to me we don't see that now it just tore up the Bills.
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
You would think a lot of that would be beneficial to a new line, like the quick strikes. But we havent done hardly any of it this season.
I watched a video a couple weeks ago where someone brought that up. IIRC, they claimed that teams have figured out the formula to our quick strike RPO game. They broke it down way better than i can recite, but the jist of it was that teams are sitting on some of the RPO/hot route concepts that the Chiefs used a ton of last season to dink and dunk, and now they have to come up with new ways to dink and dunk, as their shit from last year had been figured out and wasn't working this season.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:59 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I watched a video a couple weeks ago where someone brought that up. IIRC, they claimed that teams have figured out the formula to our quick strike RPO game. They broke it down way better than i can recite, but the jist of it was that teams are sitting on some of the RPO/hot route concepts that the Chiefs used a ton of last season to dink and dunk, and now they have to come up with new ways to dink and dunk, as their shit from last year had been figured out and wasn't working this season.
I dont buy it. Change up the RPO routes or something. Or, follow me, actually run out of it sometimes and keep them honest.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:01 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I dont buy it. Change up the RPO routes or something. Or, follow me, actually run out of it sometimes and keep them honest.
Better have a chat with Patrick about that - he's completely in control of the RPO.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:23 PM 12-07-2021
So, I don’t know if I buy the Bieniemy playcalling thing. A lot of our tendencies scream Andy Reid. But, maybe it reminds us of a time when our offense struggled mightily because it was rumored pederson took over playcalling as a tryout. Maybe some truth to bieniemy having a heavy hand in playcalling that will go largely back to Reid once we get deeper into this thing.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 05:27 PM 12-07-2021
It's hard to say that playcalling is a problem, when if you were to simply erase the drops, this team is scoring in the high 20s per game again.

Penalties have derailed some possessions, but if you just took all of the just utterly Bush League drops by this team and if you simply cut the tip drill picks by HALF, nobody is dogging the offense or playcalling except in the normal head scratching situations that can happen with Andy at times.

By and large, the gameplans and playcalling have been fine. Guys are getting open, and we either have a situation of a drop, catch/fumble, tipdrill pick, or a flat out misfire by Mahomes.

It cannot be overstated how much drops and volleyballs have hurt this offense. 8 volleyball interceptions. What's the record on that, if we dont hold it already?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:37 PM 12-07-2021
In the AFC Championship Buffalo played 2 deep and we destroyed them with our RPO game.

Teams are adjusting by playing the pass part of the RPO and keeping their linebackers back while jamming up our RPO passing windows.

In the KC Buffalo game this year that was Buffalo's adjustment. And Reid couldn't find the right counter while our defense was giving up 50 yard pass plays over and over.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 06:41 PM 12-07-2021
Eric is calling the plays only to throw off defenses. When we go to the Super Bowl Andy will resume playcalling.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:03 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
Eric is calling the plays only to throw off defenses. When we go to the Super Bowl Andy will resume playcalling.
I hope not. Even the SB win the offense wasn't very good. The loss speaks for itself.
[Reply]
tredadda 07:22 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
It's hard to say that playcalling is a problem, when if you were to simply erase the drops, this team is scoring in the high 20s per game again.

Penalties have derailed some possessions, but if you just took all of the just utterly Bush League drops by this team and if you simply cut the tip drill picks by HALF, nobody is dogging the offense or playcalling except in the normal head scratching situations that can happen with Andy at times.

By and large, the gameplans and playcalling have been fine. Guys are getting open, and we either have a situation of a drop, catch/fumble, tipdrill pick, or a flat out misfire by Mahomes.

It cannot be overstated how much drops and volleyballs have hurt this offense. 8 volleyball interceptions. What's the record on that, if we dont hold it already?
It's also hard to dismiss this as all a product of drops. No doubt that drops play a role in it, but that is too easy to chalk up as the reason for the offensive slowdown. Same with penalties. It's not like 2018-2020 these receivers had stick-um on their hands. They dropped balls then as well. Also a holding penalty was a way to pad Mahomes stats, while this year It's devastating. Lastly we look like the offense of old during the so called scripted plays at the beginning of each game. It's after that the offense seems to grind to a halt. Can't blame all of that on dropped passes or even turnovers. This offense went from one capable of scoring 28 in a quarter to being lucky to score that in a game.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:38 PM 12-07-2021
Remember the 2019 AFCCG against the Tits? We were killing them with the same play we should be running now. This drive alone was just amazing to watch, all short stuff, marched down the field on them and they couldn’t do anything about it.

1st & 10 at KC 27
(6:58 - 3rd) Dam.Williams right guard to KC 33 for 6 yards (R.Evans; K.Correa).
2nd & 4 at KC 33
(6:25 - 3rd) (Shotgun) Dam.Williams right tackle to KC 36 for 3 yards (K.Correa; K.Vaccaro).
3rd & 1 at KC 36
(5:47 - 3rd) Dam.Williams left guard to KC 41 for 5 yards (L.Ryan).
1st & 10 at KC 41
(5:09 - 3rd) (Shotgun) Dam.Williams up the middle to KC 42 for 1 yard (H.Landry).
2nd & 9 at KC 42
(4:29 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short left to S.Watkins to KC 49 for 7 yards (T.Brock).
3rd & 2 at KC 49
(3:49 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes scrambles left end ran ob at TEN 47 for 4 yards (K.Byard).
1st & 10 at TEN 47
(3:18 - 3rd) T.Hill right end to TEN 40 for 7 yards (J.Brown).
2nd & 3 at TEN 40
(2:31 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Thompson right end to TEN 33 for 7 yards (K.Byard).
1st & 10 at TEN 33
(1:46 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes scrambles left end ran ob at TEN 22 for 11 yards (L.Ryan).
1st & 10 at TEN 22
(1:13 - 3rd) Dam.Williams right end ran ob at TEN 18 for 4 yards (A.Jackson).
2nd & 6 at TEN 18
(0:38 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short right to T.Hill pushed ob at TEN 3 for 15 yards (W.Woodyard).
END QUARTER 3
1st & Goal at TEN 3
(15:00 - 4th) P.Mahomes pass incomplete short right to A.Sherman.
2nd & Goal at TEN 3
(14:50 - 4th) Damien Williams 3 Yard Rush H.Butker extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Winchester, Holder-D.Colquitt.

If we ran those plays when teams are in that 2 deep it would shred it. That exact set of plays even.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:46 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
It's also hard to dismiss this as all a product of drops. No doubt that drops play a role in it, but that is too easy to chalk up as the reason for the offensive slowdown. Same with penalties. It's not like 2018-2020 these receivers had stick-um on their hands. They dropped balls then as well. Also a holding penalty was a way to pad Mahomes stats, while this year It's devastating. Lastly we look like the offense of old during the so called scripted plays at the beginning of each game. It's after that the offense seems to grind to a halt. Can't blame all of that on dropped passes or even turnovers. This offense went from one capable of scoring 28 in a quarter to being lucky to score that in a game.
Not necessarily. Did you see the graph I posted in here? Tyreek and Kelce are 1 and 2 in players who have cost their team the most points with drops. Most teams only have one player on the list, our 2 best weapons are 1 and 2. That says a lot about what’s going on. The drops, and the tipped/batted interceptions are killing us.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:47 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Remember the 2019 AFCCG against the Tits? We were killing them with the same play we should be running now. This drive alone was just amazing to watch, all short stuff, marched down the field on them and they couldn’t do anything about it.

1st & 10 at KC 27
(6:58 - 3rd) Dam.Williams right guard to KC 33 for 6 yards (R.Evans; K.Correa).
2nd & 4 at KC 33
(6:25 - 3rd) (Shotgun) Dam.Williams right tackle to KC 36 for 3 yards (K.Correa; K.Vaccaro).
3rd & 1 at KC 36
(5:47 - 3rd) Dam.Williams left guard to KC 41 for 5 yards (L.Ryan).
1st & 10 at KC 41
(5:09 - 3rd) (Shotgun) Dam.Williams up the middle to KC 42 for 1 yard (H.Landry).
2nd & 9 at KC 42
(4:29 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short left to S.Watkins to KC 49 for 7 yards (T.Brock).
3rd & 2 at KC 49
(3:49 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes scrambles left end ran ob at TEN 47 for 4 yards (K.Byard).
1st & 10 at TEN 47
(3:18 - 3rd) T.Hill right end to TEN 40 for 7 yards (J.Brown).
2nd & 3 at TEN 40
(2:31 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Thompson right end to TEN 33 for 7 yards (K.Byard).
1st & 10 at TEN 33
(1:46 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes scrambles left end ran ob at TEN 22 for 11 yards (L.Ryan).
1st & 10 at TEN 22
(1:13 - 3rd) Dam.Williams right end ran ob at TEN 18 for 4 yards (A.Jackson).
2nd & 6 at TEN 18
(0:38 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short right to T.Hill pushed ob at TEN 3 for 15 yards (W.Woodyard).
END QUARTER 3
1st & Goal at TEN 3
(15:00 - 4th) P.Mahomes pass incomplete short right to A.Sherman.
2nd & Goal at TEN 3
(14:50 - 4th) Damien Williams 3 Yard Rush H.Butker extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Winchester, Holder-D.Colquitt.

If we ran those plays when teams are in that 2 deep it would shred it. That exact set of plays even.
Funnily enough, our previous drive stalled because of a Tyreek drop -- and then the Titans had an opportunity to take the lead. Our D held and got the ball back to KC for this drive.

And I loved that drive. It put the Titans in such a bad position because that drive took up 7 and a half minutes and that offense was now in need of a quick strike down by two scores and just had no feasible way to do it. It removed Henry from the game and made them have to rely on Tannehill's arm, and we saw how that went.

Patrick iced it the next drive with that 60 yard bomb to Sammy.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:54 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Not necessarily. Did you see the graph I posted in here? Tyreek and Kelce are 1 and 2 in players who have cost their team the most points with drops. Most teams only have one player on the list, our 2 best weapons are 1 and 2. That says a lot about what’s going on. The drops, and the tipped/batted interceptions are killing us.
I am not at all disagreeing that what you posted is part of the problem as it absolutely is. I am just saying that there is more than just drops. This offense is off this year and it's not just because of drops/INTs (which are a product in many cases of said drops).
[Reply]
scho63 10:08 PM 12-07-2021
It feels like Tyreek is upset he cant catch any deep balls and he's lost focus
[Reply]
ghak99 10:34 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Not so much playcalling, but play design:

What the fuck is this? Whatever this is was never going to work. Why the rolling pocket?

You only have one realistic option on this play and it's the receiver coming over the middle - but your rolling pocket is bringing the defenders with him.

Makes no sense.

The more I watch this play the more my wild speculation fits this thread.

Man, I don't like this play. Whatever, lets go.
1 is covered, 2 is covered, 3 is... Pressure.
Fuck this stupid play.
Chucks it in the dirt.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Up