Page 846 of 934
« First < 346746796836842843844845846 847848849850856896 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:29 PM 03-16-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
Interesting article- stock pickers consistently can’t beat the S&P.

No surprise. Index funds FTW.
[Reply]
eDave 01:59 PM 03-16-2022
Originally Posted by petegz28:
1/4 point rate hike...Fed sees 6 more coming this year. Market had sold off but is trying to bounce back here.....
My other investment vehicle reacted exactly like I predicted, though I took no action.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:03 PM 03-16-2022
Hell of a session today. Almost too good.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:06 PM 03-16-2022
Puts on any techs+5% today if yous a real one
[Reply]
petegz28 02:08 PM 03-16-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
No surprise. Index funds FTW.
Most people can't outperform the market most of the time.

I read a book that went back and quantified all the expert predictions, etc., and it was like an 80% fail rate.

I mean unless you do a shit ton of research and understand what you are actually reading, and then concentrate your holdings and then hold them for a long period of time, then I agree, index funds and ETFs.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:34 PM 03-16-2022
Most people can't outperform the market most of the time.

I read a book that went back and quantified all the expert predictions, etc., and it was like an 80% fail rate.

I mean unless you do a shit ton of research and understand what you are actually reading, and then concentrate your holdings and then hold them for a long period of time, then I agree, index funds and ETFs.
Most say 90%+ fail rate on individual investors beating the market.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:42 PM 03-16-2022
If only the stock pickers were members of CP
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 03:54 PM 03-16-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I've come to the conclusion that a big part of this is the massive tech stocks that are so heavily weighted. The only way to beat the S&P for the past several years is to overweight yourself in the FAANGs,
A lot of US large cap funds are closet index trackers. You make money as a percent of assets under mgmt. If some portfolio manager has his client in Rainman Large Cap US fund and it's down 14% heading into their 1Q financial review, he can just point to the S&P 500 down 13%. Tough year for markets, war, inflation, etc. To beat the market, you have to deviate from it which means sometimes multi-year periods where you underperform even though your strategy is good. People move their funds

Which leads to the second problem, if you're actually consistently good then money will pour in. To continue your strategy, you may need to limit incoming money by closing your fund to new investors or even money from existing investors. That kind of goes against making more money though which most people and businesses want. I think the first active mgmt. Vanguard Primecap fund doubled the S&P 500 by it's 30 year anniversary. Can't get into them as new investors though
[Reply]
Halfcan 08:34 PM 03-16-2022
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
This looks like a great way to diversify your portfolio and hedge inflation. Just started my account and am impressed with their portfolio.

Save on fees with this link. http://fundrise.com/r/1lev88
Very impressed so far. Already have dividends and appreciation on my investment.

They seemed to be buying new cash-flowing properties every few weeks.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 09:10 PM 03-16-2022
Very impressed so far. Already have dividends and appreciation on my investment.

Interesting. What kind of fees are we talking about?

Wont the housing/real estate market take a hit with rising interest rates?

Inflation would also effect buying power in a negative manner.

It sounds good at first glance but I definitely have some questions. 2021 was an exceptionally good year for this kind of thing but big changes are on the way. Does that concern you?
[Reply]
petegz28 06:52 AM 03-17-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Most say 90%+ fail rate on individual investors beating the market.
This wasn't a success rate of beating the market. This was things like economic forecasts, market forecasts, etc. And all the experts, the ones that get on tv every day and tell us what the market is going to do and what the economy is going to do are wrong the vast majority of the time.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:52 AM 03-17-2022

I've been looking into them for a while but never pulled the trigger. You are happy with it?
[Reply]
scho63 07:11 AM 03-17-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
I'm going to take about 10-12K and start to nibble at small positions of good stocks that have been beaten down.

I need to run some screens...
I only put about $6,500 to work before the market took off. I did buy $3,500 worth of Meta (FB) and $3,000 of Ford (F)

I really was looking hard at Alibaba but was afraid the Russia sanctions might spillover to China and they were making a lot of bad moves up until a day or two ago.
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:06 PM 03-17-2022
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
Interesting. What kind of fees are we talking about?

Wont the housing/real estate market take a hit with rising interest rates?

Inflation would also effect buying power in a negative manner.

It sounds good at first glance but I definitely have some questions. 2021 was an exceptionally good year for this kind of thing but big changes are on the way. Does that concern you?
Fees are pretty low, especially for a REIT investment fund. If you click the link you get 90 days fee free.

Interest hike will eventually hurt buyers- but I don't think it will hurt their funds. They are adding new property portfolios every few weeks. They also have loans they have made on properties that pay a straight income stream.

If you need instant liquidity- then this probably would not work for you. It takes a while to cash out.

Here are the fees.

What are Fundrise’s fees?
Account fees
We charge 0.15% in annual advisory fees for managing your account through our online platform. We do not charge any transaction fees, sales commissions or additional fees for enabling features on your account, such as dividend reinvestment or auto-invest.

There may be costs associated with redeeming depending on when the request is made.

Fund fees
We charge 0.85% in annual management fees for managing the real estate funds (eREITs/eFund) that make up a Fundrise portfolio.

In addition, we could potentially charge other fees, such as development or liquidation fees, for our work on a specific project.

Dividends earned are net of any fund fees.

To learn more about fees at Fundrise, read our full blog post.
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:14 PM 03-17-2022
I've been looking into them for a while but never pulled the trigger. You are happy with it?
I have only been in a few weeks- but have dividends and appreciation. I set a target of 100k value for my account by 2042 (20 years) and am on track to hit the goal.

I had 1 sign-up off FB so I received 90 days without fees.

They have purchased 3 new properties portfolios since I have been on. It is pretty interesting seeing the progress and returns on all of their investments.

I have a stock account, and other accounts- but was looking for REIT's and found this. So far so good. Not a get rich quick like Bitcoin-lol

BTW- my COIN account has been total shit- LOL I wish I would have put it all into Fundrise instead.
[Reply]
Page 846 of 934
« First < 346746796836842843844845846 847848849850856896 > Last »
Up