Page 406 of 934
« First < 306356396402403404405406 407408409410416456506906 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:33 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Part of me says not to either since investing over time should net me better gains.

Hard call though as paying off a house sooner sounds nice too.
Originally Posted by scho63:
If you can make your money grow faster % than the percentage of the loan, you invest it.

It rarely used to be that way when people had 10% mortgages and would only earn 5%-7%.
Maybe one can likely earn a higher return by investing, but it's not guaranteed. Paying off a mortgage is a 100 percent return on your loan rate, and it's guaranteed as a long-term return since it lowers your debt over the life of the loan. It also helps to guarantee that you'll never end up homeless, which brings significant psychic benefit, and it diversifies your wealth.

You obviously want to have some liquid savings, and you want to maximize your IRA, but the mortgage comes after that.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:37 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Maybe one can likely earn a higher return by investing, but it's not guaranteed. Paying off a mortgage is a 100 percent return on your loan rate, and it's guaranteed as a long-term return since it lowers your debt over the life of the loan. It also helps to guarantee that you'll never end up homeless, which brings significant psychic benefit, and it diversifies your wealth.

You obviously want to have some liquid savings, and you want to maximize your IRA, but the mortgage comes after that.
We have 50% equity on the house so the mortgage payment is super low now. Paying $100-200 extra a month wouldn’t hurt us and helps in the long run I think. I already max my ROTH IRA. Good points.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:55 PM 09-18-2020
We have 50% equity on the house so the mortgage payment is super low now. Paying $100-200 extra a month wouldn’t hurt us and helps in the long run I think. I already max my ROTH IRA. Good points.
Good on ya dude. Sounds like you really can't go wrong.

If I were you, I'd sock it away separately and see if you can get a different investment going. Maybe it's a side hustle, or a house to rent or something. Even if you just start a taxable investment account, I bet you can beat 2.5%.

But if you put money against the mortgage it'll pay it off faster, and unless you move, once it's paid off, that's material money you then get to keep.
[Reply]
scho63 09:39 PM 09-18-2020
Sounds like you're well on your way to an early retirement! :-)

Good luck and keep the pedal to the metal! :-):-)
[Reply]
philfree 12:14 AM 09-19-2020
How much a month is a comfortable retirement?
[Reply]
lewdog 07:34 AM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
How much a month is a comfortable retirement?
Depends on a lot of factors. You’re current lifestyle, cost of living in your area and a big one people miss, estimated healthcare needs as you age.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:36 AM 09-19-2020
Sounds like you're well on your way to an early retirement! :-)

Good luck and keep the pedal to the metal! :-):-)
I like your point too about investing extra cash. That’s normally my thinking too.

Sure would be easier if the wife would get a job! Has a single fucking kid 2.5 years ago and claims to be a homemaker now!
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:48 AM 09-19-2020
I like your point too about investing extra cash. That’s normally my thinking too.

Sure would be easier if the wife would get a job! Has a single ****ing kid 2.5 years ago and claims to be a homemaker now!
Why do women have to turn into assholes
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:12 AM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Why do women have to turn into assholes
Because you got fat.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:24 AM 09-19-2020

Sure would be easier if the wife would get a job! Has a single ****ing kid 2.5 years ago and claims to be a homemaker now!
I don't know why you guys just didn't marry a doctor , easy peasy.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:24 AM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Because you got fat.
Well, she got fat first!
[Reply]
scho63 05:55 PM 09-19-2020

Sure would be easier if the wife would get a job! Has a single fucking kid 2.5 years ago and claims to be a homemaker now!
That house better be spit shine clean, she better have dinner on the table and your slippers and pipe ready with a drink in her hand for you when you walk in the door.

And on Friday nights she better be wearing the French Maid outfit she just cleaned the house in to make sure you can relax properly after a long week of work providing for the family. :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:40 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I don't know why you guys just didn't marry a doctor , easy peasy.
I considered it, but it always seemed awkward to ask them out while they were palpating me.
[Reply]
scho63 04:52 AM 09-21-2020
NKLA dropping like a rock in pre-market. Down to $20 and CEO stepping down.

Holy shit if this really is fraud that may kill the stock.
[Reply]
Stewie 06:24 AM 09-21-2020
NKLA dropping like a rock in pre-market. Down to $20 and CEO stepping down.

Holy shit if this really is fraud that may kill the stock.
The CEO said they had proprietary battery technology among other new tech. The fund that called them out said they didn't. Now it's been revealed that they're using an outside battery source.
[Reply]
Page 406 of 934
« First < 306356396402403404405406 407408409410416456506906 > Last »
Up