ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Media Center>Ted Lasso is a good show
BWillie 10:26 AM 09-04-2020
It's on Apple TV so that is kind of a pain in the ass. I always give a watch to the guys who grew up around here (Sudekis, Rudd, Cheadle etc)

A feel good show that is better than I thought, albeit a little corny.

Story: Likable and optimistic D2 football coach gets hired to coach Premier soccer team in England.

[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:31 PM 06-02-2023
Nate's ending was a copout. Keeley's ending was a copout.

The rest was fine. I feel the show expanded out and lost itself a bit in Season 2 -- I don't think you give as much of the timecode to Nate and Sam unless you have a worthy ending in mind for those two -- and I don't think they did.

Overall, not a bad watch at all. Good show with some memorable moments.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:15 AM 06-03-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Nate's ending was a copout. Keeley's ending was a copout.

The rest was fine. I feel the show expanded out and lost itself a bit in Season 2 -- I don't think you give as much of the timecode to Nate and Sam unless you have a worthy ending in mind for those two -- and I don't think they did.

Overall, not a bad watch at all. Good show with some memorable moments.
When Ted said the book was never about him, that seems to suggest a spin-off is inevitable. Teds arc is the only one that’s complete. the main goal was to just end storylines in Teds orbit. Maybe that’s why they set the final part as a dream. Because that’s how Ted envisions those storylines wrap up but there’s probably quite a bit more story to tell with everyone else.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 11:35 PM 06-03-2023
I worry this will be similar to Michael Scott leaving the office. They'll go into a spinoff that will probably be pretty good out of the gate, but many of the actors are going to "grow out" of these roles (like Krasinski and Ed Helms) and want to move on (Brett Goldstein may already be there, Waddingham won't be far behind). That being said, I really hope they do it. This show helped get me through some pretty dark times in late 2020/2021 when my dad was dying of cancer.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:57 AM 06-05-2023
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
I worry this will be similar to Michael Scott leaving the office. They'll go into a spinoff that will probably be pretty good out of the gate, but many of the actors are going to "grow out" of these roles (like Krasinski and Ed Helms) and want to move on (Brett Goldstein may already be there, Waddingham won't be far behind). That being said, I really hope they do it. This show helped get me through some pretty dark times in late 2020/2021 when my dad was dying of cancer.
I think that's why Keeley pitched the women's soccer team. It helps them add more female characters and build new characters from scratch while focusing on the arc of building something new like ted originally did. Because I agree there's a great cast of characters still left and of course the intrigue of winning it all but maybe not enough juice left to carry the show on their own.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:52 AM 06-05-2023
Unless the female soccer players are as hilarious as the female hockey players on Letterkenny, I can't imagine that show keeping my attention.

They can either have 3400 fans in the stands and no national/local awareness of the existence of the team whatsoever, or they can just be unrealistic as hell.

Then again, I'm not sure how you can maintain a spin-off of Ted Lasso without that sort of feel-good DNA and I just don't know how a Roy-centric show can pull that off. Roy's prickly nature is what makes him entertaining. And honestly, HIS arc has largely wrapped up at this point, IMO.

Jamie, Sam, Nate, Keeley and maybe Beard have someplace to go at this point. Ted, Rebecca and Roy have reached a logical conclusion to their storylines. And I'm not sure Nate or Keeley are interesting enough to carry a show on their own.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:01 PM 06-05-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Unless the female soccer players are as hilarious as the female hockey players on Letterkenny, I can't imagine that show keeping my attention.

They can either have 3400 fans in the stands and no national/local awareness of the existence of the team whatsoever, or they can just be unrealistic as hell.

Then again, I'm not sure how you can maintain a spin-off of Ted Lasso without that sort of feel-good DNA and I just don't know how a Roy-centric show can pull that off. Roy's prickly nature is what makes him entertaining. And honestly, HIS arc has largely wrapped up at this point, IMO.

Jamie, Sam, Nate, Keeley and maybe Beard have someplace to go at this point. Ted, Rebecca and Roy have reached a logical conclusion to their storylines. And I'm not sure Nate or Keeley are interesting enough to carry a show on their own.
I don't think that survives on its own. It's a secondary arc to the main arc which is the men's team winning the whole damn thing. I just think it'll be hard to make that work on its own. A few hotties may help keep my attention.

I think arrowheadnation has it right that it's gonna be like The Office without Michael Scott. Which is a step down but at least it's still on. Unlike The Office I think introducing a side plot will keep the men's storyline from overexhausting story arcs that probably don't have a lot more you can do with it. I read a good point about The Office that one of the downfalls was that after they had exhausted their A plots, that's when you started to see the show become more about everyones personal lives which is where the show got less interesting.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:58 PM 06-05-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I don't think that survives on its own. It's a secondary arc to the main arc which is the men's team winning the whole damn thing. I just think it'll be hard to make that work on its own. A few hotties may help keep my attention.

I think arrowheadnation has it right that it's gonna be like The Office without Michael Scott. Which is a step down but at least it's still on. Unlike The Office I think introducing a side plot will keep the men's storyline from overexhausting story arcs that probably don't have a lot more you can do with it. I read a good point about The Office that one of the downfalls was that after they had exhausted their A plots, that's when you started to see the show become more about everyones personal lives which is where the show got less interesting.
Major League 2 is what happens when a band of plucky upstarts gets close, doesn't QUITE win it all and then you have a 'run it back' story where they finally get over the top.

That...wasn't great. All they could do was make most of the same central characters more hokey and slapstick while tossing in a couple of WAY over the top 'sidekicks' to freshen it up. Which doesn't work when you still have the original crew around who would really dominate that clubhouse.

What might've been really fascinating is having Roy go to back to Chelsea as the Manager and Nate/Beard stay at Richmond. Then you have a really good opening to introduce new characters, you see Roy without the crutch of his history at Richmond, you open up the story to let Jamie be more active in a leadership role at Richmond. You see if there's a way to put a 'distance relationship' element in there with Roy/Keeley. You see how much of Roy's new outlook is sustainable without Ted.

You can create an entirely new front-office dynamic with Roy and his boss. You can see how Nate/Rebecca manage each other and how Beard finds traction without Ted there.

You open the universe up a little more. And hell, maybe that would've been disastrous. But I think it might have a chance to actually succeed as well.

I'm just not sure there's a path forward where things sit at present.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 07:08 PM 06-09-2023
Hmmm...

Smells like potential. pic.twitter.com/yZY6lirebY

— Apple TV (@AppleTV) June 6, 2023

[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 09:16 PM 06-09-2023
Roy DID become a member of the Diamond Dogs.

Roof, Roof!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:33 AM 06-10-2023
Hmmm...

So they are going on with Lasso without Lasso? This is confirmed?
[Reply]
BWillie 02:56 PM 06-10-2023
Hmmm...

I sure hope not. Beard is an awful awful character.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:58 PM 06-10-2023
So did Ted Lasso really...

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:01 AM 06-11-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
So did Ted Lasso really...

Spoiler!
We don't know but I don't think so.

They left it open for interpretation.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:18 AM 06-11-2023
That wasn't my read either. He was returning for his kids and to be there in their lives.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Up