ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 53 of 53
« First < 3434950515253
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
BigRedChief 11:16 AM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Lots of blooms happening with this mild AZ spring we've had. Most blooms I've had on the plumeria.

Iris

Pomegranate tree

Canna Lily

Are those from the Florida saplings?
[Reply]
lewdog 09:35 PM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Are those from the Florida saplings?
No, they are the same size as when you sent them! Plumeria only grow 1-2' per year, and towards the lower end of that here in the desert.
[Reply]
myselff77 07:02 AM 05-13-2024
That iris is really cool. Is it a particular kind?
[Reply]
tooge 07:57 AM 05-13-2024
Everything is in. 6 raised beds total. Three are fenced in to keep critters out. Those that aren't have onions, taters, asparagus, butternut squash and zuccini. Those that are fenced have tomatoes, peppers, okra, tomatillos, green beans, and carrots. Now just gotta wait.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:50 AM 05-13-2024
I built a raised bed for my tomatoes and peppers this year. I finally found a great spot in my front yard last year, the back is just too shady. But you hit clay fairly shallow in that area, so I built the raised bed to give me another foot or so of depth.

Now I just need to fill it in with dirt and other material so I can plant. I'm planning on some compost, manure and top soil to fill it in. I'll turn the existing soil into all that and should have a pretty good place to grow.

Any suggestions on what else to mix in with the soil that's good for tomatoes?
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:23 AM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I built a raised bed for my tomatoes and peppers this year. I finally found a great spot in my front yard last year, the back is just too shady. But you hit clay fairly shallow in that area, so I built the raised bed to give me another foot or so of depth.

Now I just need to fill it in with dirt and other material so I can plant. I'm planning on some compost, manure and top soil to fill it in. I'll turn the existing soil into all that and should have a pretty good place to grow.

Any suggestions on what else to mix in with the soil that's good for tomatoes?
I'd probably try to test the pH of the soil. I don't know what the acidity tolerance of tomatoes are, but I'm sure it's googleable.

If your pH is low, lime. If you have clay under there, organic matter is your friend. Id get into the clay as much as you're tough enough to do and mix in some 50/50 manure and something like sawdust and cedar chips. And then do your topsoil/manure whatever mix for your bed. Organic matter is your friend in clay.

I'd also plant some sort of brassica in the fall when you're done. If you can get roots to penetrate it, you'll gain a shitload of water infiltration in wet spells.

God fucking clay.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 11:21 AM 05-13-2024
Lewdog if you ever get the chance you need to see Monet's gardens in Giverny, France
[Reply]
srvy 01:07 PM 05-13-2024
Lake Mead's water level just dropped!

Thanks Lewdog
:-)
[Reply]
Page 53 of 53
« First < 3434950515253
Up