ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 34 of 37
« First < 243031323334 353637 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2020-21 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread***
comochiefsfan 10:08 PM 12-02-2020
Apologies if someone else already started this, but thought I would get the conversation going if not.

Hell of a win tonight. Pinson is a stud. Tilmon looks to have finally learned how to defend without fouling.

Definitely a promising start to the season. 2-0 and looks like this has a chance to be the best team of the Cuonzo era up to this point.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:09 PM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I am.
I get that a little bit. But he's not a 1990s rockball devotee.

He's been successful recruiting high profile guys and also identifying kids who are going to develop.

I'd honestly prefer Kim English at this point because I do believe he would absolutely destroy the NIL stuff, and also because he's a man with a lot of pride. He may not be willing to talk to Mizzou again, and I think he's going to be a star.

Really, the problem is CuonzNO failing so epicly this year. If he had managed to such less and hang on for one more year, I think they make the jump to Kimmie.
[Reply]
warpaint* 06:23 AM 03-19-2022
While Sean Miller dances with SC. Another loser move from ol’ Mizzou.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:56 AM 03-19-2022
I mean I don't know much about Gates, but he's really young, 42 and seemed to turn around Cleveland State pretty quickly.

I'm torn, because I really respect both Duncan and DJ. So I'm not sure what Id think of this hire.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:00 AM 03-19-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I mean I don't know much about Gates, but he's really young, 42 and seemed to turn around Cleveland State pretty quickly.

I'm torn, because I really respect both Duncan and DJ. So I'm not sure what Id think of this hire.

His recruiting is also the reason Leonard Hamilton is still the coach at Florida State. They have turned down since Gates left.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:01 AM 03-19-2022
His teams played with average pace. McCasland from UNT played with the second slowest pace in the entire country.

I don't want to put my flag in the ground either way on this one. It seems as though he was involved in strong recruiting while at FSU, but we've seen supposedly strong seconds who were lauded as recruiters before (Haith) largely strike out in acquiring top end talent. All of Haith's guys were transfers. With that said, we've also seen the difference a good recruiter (Drink) can have on injecting life into a flailing program.

Cleveland State made pretty significant strides according to the metrics, but I've also never watched them play. They're also graduating eight seniors, so part of me does worry that this is a coach leaving when the timing is right for him rather than leaving because he's ready.

I've been apoplectic about hires that have failed before (Haith, Anderson), and I've been generally encouraged about hires that failed (Martin). The only constant is Mizzou. The hire will probably fail because it's Missouri and bad things always happen to them, but I don't know if I can flatly say that it's going to suck because of any real data I have about it being good or bad. I'm just used to being abused.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:16 AM 03-19-2022
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
His teams played with average pace. McCasland from UNT played with the second slowest pace in the entire country.

I don't want to put my flag in the ground either way on this one. It seems as though he was involved in strong recruiting while at FSU, but we've seen supposedly strong seconds who were lauded as recruiters before (Haith) largely strike out in acquiring top end talent. All of Haith's guys were transfers. With that said, we've also seen the difference a good recruiter (Drink) can have on injecting life into a flailing program.

Cleveland State made pretty significant strides according to the metrics, but I've also never watched them play. They're also graduating eight seniors, so part of me does worry that this is a coach leaving when the timing is right for him rather than leaving because he's ready.

I've been apoplectic about hires that have failed before (Haith, Anderson), and I've been generally encouraged about hires that failed (Martin). The only constant is Mizzou. The hire will probably fail because it's Missouri and bad things always happen to them, but I don't know if I can flatly say that it's going to suck because of any real data I have about it being good or bad. I'm just used to being abused.

There’s also a strong chance this ends up feeling like Tony Vitello, part 2, in five years.

That would involve Kim English being great at George Mason the next 2 years and landing at Tennessee when Rick Barnes retires. And then being amazing.

I kind of feel like if they ever want to hire Kim English and believe he’s going to be a star, this is the shot.

Either that, or you’re where KsU is right now with Underwood… making goo goo eyes and trying to line up an enormous payday to bring him “back.”
[Reply]
raybec 4 09:19 AM 03-19-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
His recruiting is also the reason Leonard Hamilton is still the coach at Florida State. They have turned down since Gates left.
I don't know if it's true or not but I read that not one of his current players at Cleveland State was a high school recruit. They're all Juco or D1 transfers.
[Reply]
Archie Bunker 09:52 AM 03-19-2022
If I know one thing this hire has taught me and that is Tigerboard has completely jumped the shark as a board. Not that it was ever great but wow. Hadn’t been there in a bit.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:59 AM 03-19-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
I don't know if it's true or not but I read that not one of his current players at Cleveland State was a high school recruit. They're all Juco or D1 transfers.

He took over an absolutely awful program. Completely making over the roster in a hurry was needed.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:22 AM 03-19-2022
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker:
If I know one thing this hire has taught me and that is Tigerboard has completely jumped the shark as a board. Not that it was ever great but wow. Hadn’t been there in a bit.
"Hire"?

Nothing's been made official, correct?
[Reply]
siberian khatru 10:27 AM 03-19-2022
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker:
I think Tigerboard has been like that for quite awhile.

Tigerboard and Rock M are awful in polar opposite ways.
[Reply]
raybec 4 10:30 AM 03-19-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
He took over an absolutely awful program. Completely making over the roster in a hurry was needed.
True, but in 3 years I would hope that he could find 1 worthy player coming out of high school. It's absolutely imperative that a coach recruit the transfer portal and Juco, but the high school kid who can give you 4 years is also imperative.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:41 AM 03-19-2022
High school recruiting below the MVC/MAC level I would recruit mainly JUCOs and transfers.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:53 AM 03-19-2022
Tigerboard is by far the worst forum I've ever seen. That layout is fucking atrocious.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:07 AM 03-19-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
True, but in 3 years I would hope that he could find 1 worthy player coming out of high school. It's absolutely imperative that a coach recruit the transfer portal and Juco, but the high school kid who can give you 4 years is also imperative.

There are freshman and sophomore players on the squad. He just went all JUcO and transfer in year 1 to remake the roster.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 37
« First < 243031323334 353637 >
Up