ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 109 of 171
« First < 95999105106107108109 110111112113119159 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:04 AM 04-08-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
The season finale hasn't aired yet.

And regarding LOST, I would think it would be an entirely different experience now as opposed to when it aired. When it aired, there were so so so many little details that looked to be adding up to something. This is back when 'easter eggs' were still a fairly new draw for serialized television. People spent eons online hypothesizing and theorizing and drawing connections. And the big disappointment wasn't so much that the show itself sucked, or that the overall narrative was worthless, more that all of those details and the theories they gave birth to were all just red herrings.

If you watch the show now, with all those blogs breaking everything down disused or defunct, you'll more likely miss the details that were the draw for the show, but you'll also get to concentrate on the broader narrative without cluttering your mind with red herrings.

I have no way of knowing whether that will be a better or worse experience, but it is an interesting prospect.
Will give it a whirl to find out, but yeah; some of the past series haven't aged well or maybe what 'worked' then - doesn't now? Thanks for the info.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:06 AM 04-08-2022
From reminds me of The Mist (movie) or even Black Summer, I love these types.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 02:08 PM 04-08-2022
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I started to watch Barry during season 1 but I didn’t stick with it, is it really good?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:39 PM 04-08-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
I started to watch Barry during season 1 but I didn’t stick with it, is it really good?
It's tough to pin down, but I'd characterize it as well above average.

It's certainly unique, and it certainly has iconic scenes. I'd say it even has iconic episodes.

It can be a little frenetic and navel-gazing, but the multiple payoffs are worth the occasional eye-rolls.

It kind of stitches together a number of well-worn tropes into something fresh and new, if that makes sense.

Basically, 'Barry' is an American-made killing machine. . . A military-trained ops-man, who is a little at-sea, a little PTSD, after his discharge, so he teams up with a guy who farms him out for contract kills for typical underworld types back in-country.

In the course of a hit gone bad, he is looking for a place to hide out and happens on a shitty acting class run by a wannabe actor/teacher played by Henry Winkler.

Barry has an epiphany in that one class, hanging out, and now has a strong desire to change his life and become a thesbian, but his former contacts, and his former targets aren't as enchanted with his desire to change career trajectory.

The rest is dark comedy juggling his new friends in this acting class and the underworld folk who either want him to keep killing or want to kill him for prior killings.

I trust from that description you can suss out some of the inspirations, but like I said the quality of the show is the fresh take and the commitment to the bit.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:12 AM 04-11-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
Jessica Lowe is a cutie pie. She’s in Tacoma FD which is another decent show.
Starting out on Minx, promising thus far. Jake Johnson is perfect fo the role he's in. . . But thought of you and wanted to mention Jessica Lowe is a featured player in it as well.

[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 09:13 AM 04-11-2022
I saw that a few weeks ago, I don’t think I can watch it though, I don’t have HBO Max.

She looked really good in that trailer.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:41 AM 04-11-2022
Just burned through The Shield. I think I'll slot that one right behind Breaking Bad as my #2. The ending was perfection in the worst possible way.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 11:06 AM 04-11-2022
I’ve been binging the Breaking Bad marathon on AMC. Such a fantastic show. Kafkaesque.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 06:28 PM 04-11-2022
Just burned through The Shield. I think I'll slot that one right behind Breaking Bad as my #2. The ending was perfection in the worst possible way.
Did you try Gomorra or Suburra yet?
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:31 AM 04-12-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Did you try Gomorra or Suburra yet?
Gomorra is definitely on my list.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:09 AM 04-12-2022
Gomorra is definitely on my list.
That’s cool. We just finished Suburra : Blood on Rome. It’s on Netflix. Really good. The first season is good, but kinda sets up for seasons 2 and 3 to be full blown wild. Def suggest it as well. It’s not wuite as dark and gritty as Gomorra, but it has its moments. And they’re pretty powerful. There’s a movie that starts out the series, but you don’t have to watch it first. Also Gomorra has a movie that you should watch after the end of the series. It’s called The Immortal.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:57 AM 04-15-2022
I’m enjoying Tokyo Vice on HBO. Really solid Japanese underworld crime drama. Tokyo is such an amazing city.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 05:34 AM 04-16-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I’m enjoying Tokyo Vice on HBO. Really solid Japanese underworld crime drama. Tokyo is such an amazing city.
That’s next on my list, soon as I finish Top Boy.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:59 AM 04-16-2022
This isn't so much about a 'must see' as a bit of interesting* trivia about a 'decent enough' Thursday night sitcom.

On last night's Ghosts, they introduced a new ghost character, Stephanie Killed on Prom Night. Listen to the voice and see if it sound familiar. . . . Don't cheat with google-fu.

Hint - it's not so much 'her' voice that sounds familiar

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Buehler445 01:54 PM 04-16-2022
I’ve been old for quite awhile now, friend.
[Reply]
Page 109 of 171
« First < 95999105106107108109 110111112113119159 > Last »
Up