ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 105 of 171
« First < 55595101102103104105 106107108109115155 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Holladay 07:18 AM 02-17-2022
Just started watching "Arrested Development". I am finding it quite entertaining.

I am always the last guy to the dance.
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:21 PM 02-17-2022
I am looking for a haunting type of spooky series. I always go back to that Nicole Kidman flick The Others to describe the vibe I'm looking for. Though The Others is no masterpiece - it's a nice balanced spooky horror film that is one of my go-to's every so many yrs. Can anyone think of a series that may have vibes like The Others?

Another vibe I like is The Mothman Prophecies, of course I'm a big fan of The Mothman and am taking a solo vacation to stay at the Lowe Motel. But yes; The Mothman Prophecies is another film in which I go back to every so many yrs.

Something like those two, or similar vibes, or whatever....?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:57 PM 02-18-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
This COULD actually be brilliant, first premise is Arnett is an investigator who always gets assigned celebrities as sidekicks who are 'doing research' for a role, . . . second premise is, the celebrities go into the scene with no direction except be yourself and go with it. Could be a trainwreck, could be a masterpiece.

[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 02:56 PM 02-18-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Will Arnett makes me laugh til I cry in pretty much anything I’ve ever seen him in.

“I’m a millennial.”
[Reply]
Simply Red 02-18-2022, 09:33 PM
This message has been deleted by Simply Red.
Baby Lee 02-20-2022, 11:57 PM
This message has been deleted by Baby Lee.
Pepe Silvia 12:57 AM 02-21-2022
I did not expect that. Now I know why IMDB didn’t list who the adult Harmon was going to be.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:50 AM 02-21-2022
StartUp (Netflix) season 1 has sucked me in. Looks like it went 3 seasons before getting cancelled. I had never heard of it and took a flyer over the weekend.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:44 AM 02-21-2022
So did Inventing Ana on Netflix. I'm a sucker for Julia Garner so I gave it a go.

I was all in. Despite the writer being wholly unlikeable, and mostly Ana's character being unlikeable, the performances were good.

The performances were REALLY good. Garner killed it. She's pretty over the top in Ozark, but she plays a tremendously nuanced role here. She was really fucking good. But she's not alone. The writer was the weakest performance, probably. The lawyers and friends were really good.

While a bunch of the characters were unlikeable, the Neff character was outstanding. I don't know how close to the real thing that performance was, but she was really good and I was rooting for her, as flawed as she was. The other rootable characters are the "Scriberia" guys (I laughed every time they said it). I don't know how that whole dynamic went down in real life, but those 4 cats were tremendously compelling on screen.

I will preface this by being a sucker for these outrageous fraud bits. Some of this is somewhat fictionalized. Best I could tell it was name changes, quick googling - they hit most of the high points. But invariably there is some fiction/liberties. But I'm in for this shit. I listened to the books on Theranos (Bad Blood and Thicker than Water), the Jho Low Book (Billion Dollar Whale), a bunch of Michael Lewis books, Eight Men Out, and The Brothers book on the Dulles Brothers. I'm always into crazy fraud shit. It just blows my mind. Continually.

So that may influence my view of the show.

But give it a look. It's worth it.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 05:51 PM 02-21-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So did Inventing Ana on Netflix. I'm a sucker for Julia Garner so I gave it a go.
I'm halfway through it. I wouldn't have given it a shot except for Julia Garner, but she really is terrific and the NYC stuff is close to home.

I'm enjoying it but kinda wish it were just half the episodes. There's so much good TV out there right now and my feeling is there's overall more rewarding watches.

But again, if you like Julie Garner, she's gold.

And if you like fraud stuff, this should be very interesting:

[Reply]
DJJasonp 06:35 PM 02-21-2022
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I am looking for a haunting type of spooky series. I always go back to that Nicole Kidman flick The Others to describe the vibe I'm looking for. Though The Others is no masterpiece - it's a nice balanced spooky horror film that is one of my go-to's every so many yrs. Can anyone think of a series that may have vibes like The Others?

Another vibe I like is The Mothman Prophecies, of course I'm a big fan of The Mothman and am taking a solo vacation to stay at the Lowe Motel. But yes; The Mothman Prophecies is another film in which I go back to every so many yrs.

Something like those two, or similar vibes, or whatever....?
I'm pretty addicted to "Archive 81" on Netflix. More suspenseful than spooky, but does have a bit of spooky to it.

It's like an updated/modern "Rosemary's Baby" mixed with Donnie Darko vibes.

It doesnt move fast, but has a slow burn to it, and I'm addicted to the characters, etc. Nothing cheesy here either.

I think season 1 has 8 episodes. I'm on Ep 5, and enjoying it.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:45 AM 02-22-2022
Absolutely zero people on this forum are in the target demographic for “We Are Lady Parts” on Peacock, but it’s an unbelievably fast, witty show about a bunch of Muslim twentysomethings ad they struggle to create a punk band capable of winning a band contest.

The writing is extremely swift, the humor quirky and clever, and completely littered with great comedic acting from a bunch of actresses who (of course) none of us have ever heard of.

Fleabag is a better show, but if you enjoy Fleabag, We Are Lady Parts is right up in line there.

Edit: only 1 season, 6 episodes, 24 minutes each. But this show is begging to be renewed for a 2nd season
[Reply]
eDave 06:14 AM 02-24-2022
Skyfall resumed last night and is as excellent as ever. I'm ranking it up there with Breaking Bad, Ozark, and Saul.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:27 AM 02-24-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
StartUp (Netflix) season 1 has sucked me in. Looks like it went 3 seasons before getting cancelled. I had never heard of it and took a flyer over the weekend.
Finished season 1 and it was really good. Season 2 is off to a slower start but I'm hoping it picks up.

Picking up a bit of a Snowfall vibe from this. It takes place in Miami and involves a Haitian gang, Russians, a sociopath FBI agent, a try-hard millennial yuppie, and a crypto coder trying to take a life changing currency to market.
[Reply]
Danguardace 10:27 AM 02-24-2022
2 Great animated shows

Only 3 episodes in to Arcane but it is very immersive, great world building

Vox Machina a bit like Invincible

[Reply]
Simply Red 10:55 AM 02-24-2022
Originally Posted by Danguardace:
2 Great animated shows

Only 3 episodes in to Arcane but it is very immersive, great world building

Vox Machina a bit like Invincible

Nice do you watch a lot of anime?
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:57 AM 02-24-2022
flashing back maybe a year or so - did you guys ever watch Black Summer? I really enjoyed it. Pretty sure it's mentioned in this thread, much earlier.
[Reply]
Page 105 of 171
« First < 55595101102103104105 106107108109115155 > Last »
Up