ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 26
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Dropped passes
frozenchief 10:05 PM 12-05-2021
Why can’t we catch the ball? Kielce, Pringle, and Tyreek all dropped catchable passes. those drops really screwed our offensive production. Tyreek’s ‘drop’ led to an interception.

What is going on? Are Kielce and Tyreek injured? What do we do for this season? Drafting or free agency are good answers for next season, not this one. the dropped passes aren’t such an issue with Denver but come playoffs, they will be really large.

I have no idea what is going on or why this is happening now and would love to hear any comments/suggestions.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:17 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Yeah Hill isn't used to having on top of him literally every time he catches the ball so he's anticipating it and losing focus. Kelce has less space too. Used to be he would catch the ball, do the 1 juke he ALWAYS does that somehow still works 100% of the time and get a few yards upfield. Now there's two line backers waiting to hit him soon as he gets the ball.

We desperately need to take some of the pressure off of them somehow.
Exactly.

Everyone talks about how the 2-high shell keeps defenders over the top and keeps us from getting deep. What they don't mention as part of that discussion is that it also has defenders coming downhill as the ball is caught. There's just not much space to work in and the WRs know it now.

And they're flinching a bit, IMO. They're not used to the contact and its impacting their focus.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:24 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
We are in the bottom half of the league in rushing attempts. We need to run the ball more when it's working. Passing last night was not working and running was but we continue to stop running. It's stupid.
Last night was the only time we needed to run the ball - and that was only due to the weather.

Mahomes avgs 7.2 yards per pass with a 65% comp pct. Why you would intentionally want to settle for 3.6 or 4.6 YPC with our running backs is beyond me. You only get so many possessions in a football game.

Run the ball in the 4th quarter with leads or 2nd or 3rd and short. That is it. That literally is it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:24 AM 12-06-2021
I simply can't understand why we abandon those sweep plays. Get the ball into Hills hands behind the LOS and let him do work.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 11:27 AM 12-06-2021
The one guy making the most sense in this thread has been downvoted into oblivion. The QB always takes some of the blame in any bad offense. I don't see how you can't see where Pat is hurting the offense. Bad reads on RPOs...bailing clean pockets.... tunnel vision. Bad passes. This is how he should have looked his first year starting.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 11:33 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Right now he's basically Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith.

Not horrible but not a guy that will win us a Super Bowl. If we're going to win a Super Bowl he has to play better. If he stays at this level into the playoffs then we don't have a prayer.
Then who do you think is just killing it week in and out in the AFC? We’re tied for the best record in the conference. The other teams are all having their own struggles too. There’s currently no dominant AFC team. But I’m sure Chiefs are among the teams most don’t want to face in the playoffs. But go ahead and tell me which teams in the AFC you’re seeing as the ones who we should fear. I don’t see any.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:35 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
The one guy making the most sense in this thread has been downvoted into oblivion. The QB always takes some of the blame in any bad offense. I don't see how you can't see where Pat is hurting the offense. Bad reads on RPOs...bailing clean pockets.... tunnel vision. Bad passes. This is how he should have looked his first year starting.
There are very few people saying Mahomes bears no responsibility.

But this view that he is mostly responsible for problems with the offense is absurd.

Anyone who watched last night and thought it was mostly Mahomes is out of their mind. There was one game before our winning streak where I thought Mahomes looked like a bottom end starter. One game.
[Reply]
treeguy27 11:47 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Yeah Hill isn't used to having on top of him literally every time he catches the ball so he's anticipating it and losing focus. Kelce has less space too. Used to be he would catch the ball, do the 1 juke he ALWAYS does that somehow still works 100% of the time and get a few yards upfield. Now there's two line backers waiting to hit him soon as he gets the ball.

We desperately need to take some of the pressure off of them somehow.
There's a lot of truth in this theory. Hill is used to being over the top of the defense and using his speed to outrun the safety after the catch. Now he is running underneath and intermediate routes that have 3 defenders coming downhill at him after the catch. Similar with Kelce. Although he is used to working the middle of the field, the middle is much more congested with defenses forcing us to keep everything underneath. It seems like we are playing right into the defense's hands by only working the underneath stuff where the field is congested. As much as I don't trust him, we need to have Hardman run deep crosses and go routes on every play to take a couple of defenders with him and open up the middle of the field to give Hill and Kelce a little more space.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:52 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Exactly.

Everyone talks about how the 2-high shell keeps defenders over the top and keeps us from getting deep. What they don't mention as part of that discussion is that it also has defenders coming downhill as the ball is caught. There's just not much space to work in and the WRs know it now.

And they're flinching a bit, IMO. They're not used to the contact and its impacting their focus.
Great observation.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:13 PM 12-06-2021
I don’t understand why Cornell Powell isn’t getting an opportunity here? Kemp is terrible, Pringle is hot and cold and Robinson is a JAG.

If guys are dropping balls get him out there, even if only for a few plays while he learns
[Reply]
excessive 12:17 PM 12-06-2021
"The throws were off."

Collinsworth made a good point last night about Mahomes' mechanics, specifically, dropping his arm to 3/4s when it wasn't necessary. His point was Mahomes increases the degree of difficulty instead of just making the throw which is there.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:18 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by excessive:
"The throws were off."

Collinsworth made a good point last night about Mahomes' mechanics, specifically, dropping his arm to 3/4s when it wasn't necessary. His point was Mahomes increases the degree of difficulty instead of just making the throw which is there.
Winners do what they want.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:18 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I don’t understand why Cornell Powell isn’t getting an opportunity here? Kemp is terrible, Pringle is hot and cold and Robinson is a JAG.

If guys are dropping balls get him out there, even if only for a few plays while he learns
Did you watch Cornell Powell at all during the pre-season? He made Fountain look like Moss out there.

Powell is a long LONG way from contributing and had he not been drafted where he was, he probably wouldn't even be on a PS right now. The fact that nobody in the NFL has sniped him off the practice squad says something about his ability to meaningfully contribute.
[Reply]
davewan 12:30 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
If those aren't dropped and his stat line was 24-32, 270 2 TD's total are you still freaking out?
Well, that wasn't his stat line, so your question is irrelevant. And I'm not freaking out. I'm simply stating an observation.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:57 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Rainbarrel:
The common denominator is PMII. Hill and Kelce didn't forget how to catch at the same time.They removed the frustration of Hardman, not enough yet. Maybe form a barbershop quartet after practice.
I think drops are contagious - and we have a team-wide outbreak right now. One or two drops get Mahomes out of rhythm, so he throws it out of sync and a little off-target, which creates more drops, etc.

Hopefully they get over it before the playoffs.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:02 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by davewan:
I have resisted this conclusion all season, but we're at a point where it has become undeniable. Mahomes is as much a problem as are the drops. Last night he was 15-29 for less than 200 yards, an INT and no touchdown passes. For the third game in a row, the Chiefs offense scored an early TD, only to go an extended stretch without so much as sniffing the end zone again. Telling series? The Chiefs get a turnover and start a drive inside the Denver 10 yard line and come away with FG.

The offense is a steaming pile of canine feces right now. And the sad part is, they keep talking about fixing it. Let's face it, the offense is what it is. We're 12 games in. The offense simply won't look like the 2018 or 2019 version for more than a game here or there this year. It's broken and won't get fixed this season.
2 games ago Mahomes threw for the 10th most yards in Chiefs history. If Smiff was having a season like Mahomes is right now we'd be jumping for joy.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 26
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up