5 Erick Pena, OF
6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 11:22 AM 03-29-2021

Here's how we're taking the field for our final Cactus League game.

��: https://t.co/f8itFMu0qK #RoyalsST pic.twitter.com/TQqcbw1PEd

— Kansas City Royals (@Royals) March 29, 2021

[Reply]
BWillie 01:33 PM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Their firs real game is Thursday. They are playing a Spring Training game on Monday. Why? Do we really need this many Spring Training games? Do we?
[Reply]
nychief 02:23 PM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Their firs real game is Thursday. They are playing a Spring Training game on Monday. Why? Do we really need this many Spring Training games? Do we?

Its idiotic.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:38 PM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by nychief:
Its idiotic.
I get that pitchers need time to get stretched out, but you can do that on your own time. Spring Training is by far the longest and dumbest preseason ever. It is 80% too long. I feel for these baseball players, they are traveling and playing games like 70% of the year and alot of them get paid peanuts.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:15 PM 03-29-2021
I get that pitchers need time to get stretched out, but you can do that on your own time. Spring Training is by far the longest and dumbest preseason ever. It is 80% too long. I feel for these baseball players, they are traveling and playing games like 70% of the year and alot of them get paid peanuts.
Spring training is the same length as NFL training camp and preseason.
[Reply]
tk13 08:23 PM 03-29-2021

As others have reported, the Mets have offered Francisco Lindor a 10-year deal worth $325 million. It is their final offer.

A source says Lindor's camp is still seeking $385 million over 12 years.

— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) March 30, 2021

[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:29 PM 03-29-2021
10 yrs for 27 year old SS? He’ll be negative War at 34.

Right now, ZiPS projects that a Lindor extension ought to be something in the neighborhood of nine years and $279.7 million

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mapping-...dor-extension/
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:13 AM 03-30-2021
https://theathletic.com/2477098/2021...tseason-picks/

2021 MLB season predictions: Keith Law’s win totals for every team, plus awards and early postseason picks

Originally Posted by :
• The Twins made just two moves of note this winter, re-signing Nelson Cruz and adding Andrelton Simmons. The latter could be one of the most significant signings of the year if he gets back to the player he was in 2018, prior to two injuries to the same ankle that appear to have cost him on the field and at the plate. Minnesota’s pitching staff misses a lot of bats and they’re not very groundball-oriented, so his impact might have been higher elsewhere, but a healthy Simmons on defense could do more to improve their run prevention than any pitcher the Twins were likely to sign.

• I thought this might be the year to predict a big White Sox jump into the 90-win range or more, but they had a few questions before Eloy Jiménez was lost for all or most of the season and they don’t have an easy answer for that new one. They have a high variance around that 86-win prediction, depending more than anything on how good the rotation is.

• Cleveland has really squandered an opportunity now that ownership chose to trade Francisco Lindor without using the money saved to address the gaping wound that is their current outfield. They still have one of the league’s best pitching staffs, even without Carlos Carrasco, but they were third from last in the AL in run scoring last year and will be in a race for the bottom in 2021.

• Both the Royals and the Tigers are in the “bad, but in a fun way” category, as both teams are likely to bring up a lot of prospects and to really let them play, either to start the year or by mid-June. The Royals are further along in their building process and have more interesting young hitters in their lineup already, while both have waves of starting pitching coming.
Originally Posted by :
AL Central Standings:
Minnesota: 92-70
Chicago WS: 86-76
Cleveland: 81-81
Kansas City: 73-89
Detroit: 64-98

[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:19 AM 03-30-2021
https://theathletic.com/2484948/2021...-how-to-pitch/

How the AL Central’s starting pitchers stack up, with input from players around the division: ‘They know how to pitch’
by
The Athletic MLB Staff

Originally Posted by :
Royals

Rotation: Brad Keller, Mike Minor, Brady Singer, Danny Duffy
Others: Jakob Junis, Kris Bubic, Daniel Lynch, Jackson Kowar
Key stat: 7. Somehow, this is the number of Royals pitching prospects from the 2018 MLB Draft who have a chance to pitch this season in the big leagues. Singer, of course, is starting out of the gate. Behind him, though, are Bubic, Lynch, Kowar, Austin Cox, Jonathan Bowlan and Jon Heasley. The Royals selected all of them in one draft. They all competed in this year’s big-league spring training. And each is coming quickly — with others behind them.

What their division opponents are saying

White Sox outfielder Adam Engel on Kris Bubic: “He’s a really good young arm. He’s got a really good arsenal of pitches. I think he uses them pretty well. I didn’t even know until today that he went from A ball to the big leagues last year. If somebody would have asked me last year if this guy came from A ball, I would’ve been like no way. This guy’s got a good idea of how to locate all of his pitches, which isn’t normal for an A-ball (pitcher). I wasn’t facing guys in A ball that could do that. Really good young pitcher, plus change-up. In my opinion, I think his change-up is his best pitch. Really good young arm and I think he saw that he got optioned today (March 19), which is always tough as a young guy. But I’m sure he’ll be fine. I’m sure he’ll bounce back and start throwing some meaningful innings for Kansas City.”

What the Royals are saying about their rotation

Keller, who pitched only 165 1/3 innings in 2019: “The way my body feels right now and arm feels, I feel pretty going into the season. My goal is to get to 200-plus innings. And I personally think I can get there.”

Singer on this spring training versus debuting last year: “It felt completely different. It felt a lot better, knowing we’re going to start in April and play 162. I feel like I knew what I needed to do. We added veterans this spring, so there were more people to lean on and talk to. There was a lot to learn. And that’s what I want to do every spring training. Keep learning.”

What our writers are saying

Alec Lewis, Royals beat writer: The Royals are hoping that Keller, deemed one of the most interesting pitchers in baseball because of the spin axis on his pitches, continues to progress. Consistency will be a focus, as will his ability to throw close to 200 innings, if possible. Royals officials call Keller “a horse.” This will be the 25-year-old’s season to show why. In 2020, he posted a 2.47 ERA in 54 2/3 innings. He’ll lead off, with Minor, whom the Royals signed this offseason, following suit. As with Keller, the Royals want to see Minor, a veteran lefty, pitch 200 innings. Singer, who debuted last season, is next in line. Though Singer’s change-up remains a question mark, the Royals trust his competitiveness and pinpoint ability to land his fastball and slider to all four quadrants the way he did in a near no-hitter last season against Cleveland. Rounding out the four-man rotation (to start the season) will be Duffy, who is entering the final season of his contract. It wouldn’t be surprising to see Duffy slide to the bullpen at some point this season, but his ability to throw innings makes him a lock in this spot to start. Then, as the Royals hit the many back-to-back-to-backs, others such as Junis, Bubic and Lynch could be in line for starts in a No. 5 role or a potential six-man rotation down the line.

[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:24 AM 03-30-2021
Really interested to see how Isbel does if he gets the nod to start in RF full time. Could affect a LOT of other decisions for the Royals, including when to bring Witt up.

IMO, you want Witt at SS or 3B long term, but could start him out at second. But if Isbel plays up in RF or has success there, then you have no where to move Merrifield, as he will be playing second. SS is Mondesi (at least for this year) still and 3B is Dozier for now and they just gave him a 4 year extension so he's not going to NOT be starting somewhere, and 1B is not an option, due to Santana being here for the next 2 years. So, again, that leaves right field . . . . . . .

Kind of crazy to think how much hinges on RF and what Isbel does with the opportunity out there, but it will affect a LOT of other things and plans going forward this year.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 08:33 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Really interested to see how Isbel does if he gets the nod to start in RF full time. Could affect a LOT of other decisions for the Royals, including when to bring Witt up.

IMO, you want Witt at SS or 3B long term, but could start him out at second. But if Isbel plays up in RF or has success there, then you have no where to move Merrifield, as he will be playing second. SS is Mondesi (at least for this year) still and 3B is Dozier for now and they just gave him a 4 year extension so he's not going to NOT be starting somewhere, and 1B is not an option, due to Santana being here for the next 2 years. So, again, that leaves right field . . . . . . .

Kind of crazy to think how much hinges on RF and what Isbel does with the opportunity out there, but it will affect a LOT of other things and plans going forward this year.
If Isbel is good, then what about moving Merrifield to CF and Witt to 2B? That gives you a pretty exciting 1-9 batting order.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:34 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:

Isbel has been lacing the ball. Watched him last night and he had a nice hit and then a really hard hit ball right at the CF. Org has always loved him. He did hit .219 in his last stint at Milb but that was the same league where Matias, Pratto and Melendez couldn't even touch a baseball with a bat.

I guess if the situation comes to fruition, I guess you have to trade Whit Merrifield or I'd put Whit at 2B and Witt at SS. I'd rather have Mondesi in OF than Whit in the OF. Unless Whit has spent all off season with Alex Gordon, he's just not very good at it. There is always put Witt at 3B and move Dozier to OF but I don't know why you would waste defensive talent like that.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 08:40 AM 03-30-2021
Isbel has been lacing the ball. Watched him last night and he had a nice hit and then a really hard hit ball right at the CF. Org has always loved him. He did hit .219 in his last stint at Milb but that was the same league where Matias, Pratto and Melendez couldn't even touch a baseball with a bat.

I guess if the situation comes to fruition, I guess you have to trade Whit Merrifield or I'd put Whit at 2B and Witt at SS. I'd rather have Mondesi in OF than Whit in the OF. Unless Whit has spent all off season with Alex Gordon, he's just not very good at it.
I heard Rany compare Isbel to David Dejesus. Not a star but a nice complementary player.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:45 AM 03-30-2021

I guess if the situation comes to fruition, I guess you have to trade Whit Merrifield or I'd put Whit at 2B and Witt at SS. I'd rather have Mondesi in OF than Whit in the OF. Unless Whit has spent all off season with Alex Gordon, he's just not very good at it. There is always put Witt at 3B and move Dozier to OF but I don't know why you would waste defensive talent like that.
Isbel broke his hand (hammate bone) early in 2019. He was red-hot before, came back pretty quickly from it, and struggled. He was good in the fall league that year, as I recall, once it got healthy.

That's really the only time he has failed to hit since becoming a pro.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:52 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
If Isbel is good, then what about moving Merrifield to CF and Witt to 2B? That gives you a pretty exciting 1-9 batting order.
You could, but I know the Royals really like Taylor out there for right now. He gives you a sort of Lorenzo Cain lite with his range and athletic ability. Whit doesn't offer that type of defense in CF. Also, I think this argument might have carried more weight had Taylor really struggled offensively in ST, but he apparently made some changes to his batting stance and was really smoking the ball in ST making the Royals feel that much better about having him as their everyday CF'er (at least for this year).

Whit is still your jack of all trades and can play CF, RF, and 2B and probably will at least a bit at different points this season (injuries, day off, etc.), but he is best suited at 2B full time. You want someone with really good range and anticipation covering Kauffman stadium CF on a regular basis, and Whit, while competent in the OF, is not that.
[Reply]
Page 51 of 440
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101151 > Last »
Up