ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 67 of 361
« First < 17576364656667 6869707177117167 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***
BigRedChief 12:29 PM 03-17-2015
Seems like we need one on here to talk cars, mods and the coolness of your or their car.

Interested? Chime in
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:16 AM 06-14-2015
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
It came in today. Still has the packing and plastic on it until Monday when I can get it into the hands of Gary Dean.
Congrats, saw one around KC yesterday, parked at a tint shop.

:-)The crap I got for even thinking of putting fake hood pins on my car would pale by comparison to a bumper sticker.

Today was my first day with the car, Keeping it below 3500 RPM's was hard to do. The car is screaming at you....come on, lets go, what are we doing here, okay we are ready, crap what happened to the power? I could have stayed parked in the garage and ran faster than this.
Hmm, think it says to keep it under 4500 in my manual... which in the 'comfort mode' isn't hard to do... hell, it's it's 3rd gear by the time I finish a left turn through an intersection. I slowly started getting into it and using sport mode about 700 miles in... there's just so much debate over whether a break-in period is really needed, and like you said it just screams to go. If I get on it and then let off, it'll sit at ~3k... bring it, give me more damnit! It's awesome. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:25 AM 06-14-2015
Originally Posted by Bearcat:

Hmm, think it says to keep it under 4500 in my manual... which in the 'comfort mode' isn't hard to do... hell, it's it's 3rd gear by the time I finish a left turn through an intersection. I slowly started getting into it and using sport mode about 700 miles in... there's just so much debate over whether a break-in period is really needed, and like you said it just screams to go. If I get on it and then let off, it'll sit at ~3k... bring it, give me more damnit! It's awesome. :-)
I know nothing about news motors but I haven been around several rebuilt ones and a break in period is necessary.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:42 AM 06-14-2015
I just drove them like I stole them from the get go.

If i WAS going to break one in I would have the computer reset after.

I had an old lady that owned a mustang gt and it was the biggest dog ever. Until I would reset the computer during her lof's. She could notice the difference just in the way she drove. I could notice the power difference just pulling it out of the shop.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:45 AM 06-14-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I know nothing about news motors but I haven been around several rebuilt ones and a break in period is necessary.
The one argument against that makes the most sense to me is that people say you should drive it like you plan to drive it... not necessarily beat the hell out of it from the first mile you put on it, but don't baby it for hundreds of miles and then become a more aggressive driver. The thought is to vary the RPMs as opposed to making sure it never reaches a certain point.

I didn't do it strictly by the book, but did keep it under the recommended 4500 RPM for the first several hundred miles, with only a few exceptions. The sad thing is between a short commute, all the hours at work, and a vacation, I haven't even hit the recommended 1200 miles yet and I've had it almost 3 months. It seems to be loving sport mode as much as I am though. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:51 AM 06-14-2015
The one argument against that makes the most sense to me is that people say you should drive it like you plan to drive it... not necessarily beat the hell out of it from the first mile you put on it, but don't baby it for hundreds of miles and then become a more aggressive driver. The thought is to vary the RPMs as opposed to making sure it never reaches a certain point.

I didn't do it strictly by the book, but did keep it under the recommended 4500 RPM for the first several hundred miles, with only a few exceptions. The sad thing is between a short commute, all the hours at work, and a vacation, I haven't even hit the recommended 1200 miles yet and I've had it almost 3 months. It seems to be loving sport mode as much as I am though. :-)
The new motors are probably better. Especially the higher end cars but you need the parts to wear together at low RPMs with break in oil so the rings will set in the Pistons and it will get proper compression and not burn oil. But like I said the new motors are probably different than overhauled ones.

It could be they do it in the factory. I believe the factory does it with tractors.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:02 AM 06-14-2015
The new motors are probably better. Especially the higher end cars but you need the parts to wear together at low RPMs with break in oil so the rings will set in the Pistons and it will get proper compression and not burn oil. But like I said the new motors are probably different than overhauled ones.

It could be they do it in the factory. I believe the factory does it with tractors.
I've read that, too, but then the argument against it is "well, it's in the manual...". I know the true //M cars are supposed to be taken in after the break-in period for an oil change, but they said mine doesn't require it.

I am glad mine had 3 miles on it when I got it, as opposed to 50 or 100 miles of test drivers beating the shit out of it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:13 AM 06-14-2015
I've currently got the only one in the Southeast. I'm taking tonight to Gary Dean for detailing, color correction and sealing the paint. He will have it for 2 days and then its off to the Tint Shop for a day.

My manual say..
0-100 <3500 rpm
100-300 <5000 rpm and less than 55 mph
300-500 <5000 rpm and less than 70 mph
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:44 AM 06-14-2015
My manual say..
0-100 <3500 rpm
Sounds reasonable, except for the 55mph part.... that's just crazy talk.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:57 PM 06-14-2015
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Not certain I will make it to Blue Springs but I am going to try to make it to Mokan on the 11th.
I missed okc yesterday. So I'm gonna try to make kc. Might be the opposite make blue springs but not mokan. But I'm gonna try to take a few days off and catch a royals game while I'm there and take my son to oceans of fun or something.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:28 PM 06-14-2015
Guy at work just bough a 2015 SRT Challenger. Awesome light blue color.

What's the difference between the SRT and Scat Pack BRC bought?
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:42 PM 06-14-2015
I've currently got the only one in the Southeast. I'm taking tonight to Gary Dean for detailing, color correction and sealing the paint. He will have it for 2 days and then its off to the Tint Shop for a day.

My manual say..
0-100 <3500 rpm
I can't do the first two. I am physically incapable of going <55. Cannot do. Especially for 200 miles.
[Reply]
Tombstone RJ 05:39 PM 06-14-2015
Originally Posted by mac459:
So I found a good deal on a 97 Jeep Wrangler..it's got fairly low miles on it for almost 20 years old..just over 100,000..it's a 5 speed which is exactly what I want

My question for you guys is do any of you have experience with the 4.0 inline 6 that it has under the hood..from what I read it is really reliable but is under powered and heavy as a fat girl after a free trip to the buffet

Any input would be great..yes I taste tested the antifreeze and it is good in case anyone was wondering
Fantastic engine, the 4.0L straight six with a 5 speed is pure gold. The engine has good torque too for only having 190hp. It's not underpowered for a 3600lbs Cherokee (the Wrangler is even lighter). You can do some basic stuff to get it up over 200hp like a cat back system and a cold air intake. But don't do anything stupid like put headers on it, it's expensive and does not really help and it hurts reliability.
[Reply]
Tombstone RJ 05:46 PM 06-14-2015
It came in today. Still has the packing and plastic on it until Monday when I can get it into the hands of Gary Dean.
:-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:48 PM 06-14-2015
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
I just drove them like I stole them from the get go.
You are a different type of driver. You are an expert at diagnosing and repairing cars. I screw something up, I end up paying guys like you bank.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:41 PM 06-14-2015
I can't do the first two. I am physically incapable of going <55. Cannot do. Especially for 200 miles.
Yeah its hard. I so want to see what it can do.:-)

And then on top of it, I delay even the mileage clock to start ticking for another 3 days for paint sealant and tinting.

Where can I buy some more patience?
[Reply]
Page 67 of 361
« First < 17576364656667 6869707177117167 > Last »
Up