ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 17
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Media Center>Bands you wish everyone else knew about.
Lprechaun 11:39 AM 01-19-2014
Every once in awhile someone somewhere will turn me onto a new band or group I hadnt heard of. Might be something older like Nat King Cole that you woldnt ever think you would like or something from your childhood that you just dont remember like Social Distortion that you have a new found respect for or a new band that you had to go find everything they had ever done.

Mine would be The Drowning Men, they were signed by Borstal Beat records after touring with Flogging Molly (BB is FMs label) the wife and I have seen them numerous times and its always a great show.
http://www.thedrowningmen.com/

My personal favorite song is "Rita". Enjoy

Im hoping to find some more good groups from this thread!
[Reply]
thabear04 12:40 AM 03-18-2015
Anybody said their name yet Pennywise

[Reply]
Coochie liquor 04:00 AM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by thabear04:

It seems like I've been listening to Pennywise my whole life. Always been a bi fan of theirs. But I think a lot of peeps know of them. I've seen them a few times and it's always a big crowd!
[Reply]
kcxiv 04:17 AM 03-18-2015

[Reply]
KCUnited 06:56 AM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by thabear04:

Every time I hear Pennywise, I think of The Other F Word. That documentary about punk rock dads. It features Jim from Pennywise dyeing his hair black in a hotel and he's basically like "I'm so tired of playing Bro Hymn, but that's what everyone came to hear. WHAT UP LOS ANGELES, THIS ONES CALLED BRO HYMNN!!!!" Fletcher on the other hand is like "fuck yeah, Bro Hymn!!".

Which is one of few reasons I don't get all jazzed to see older bands I liked as a kid, half the band have likely grown to hate the songs fans shelled out 50+ bucks a ticket to hear.
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:36 AM 03-18-2015
Here is a new track that I'm working on for one of my projects, if anyone is into Prog-Metal with an alternative vocal.

Dane?

kcxiv - I know you will dig this one.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03-18-2015, 10:15 AM
This message has been deleted by DaneMcCloud.
DaneMcCloud 10:17 AM 03-18-2015
Nice track! I have several notes regarding the production. I can either list them here or send a PM, whatever's best for you.
[Reply]
teedubya 10:29 AM 03-18-2015
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds... can't get enough of them in my ear holes.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4kTvhSlqEPc4lnEgrFZdkZ
[Reply]
eDave 11:33 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by teedubya:
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds... can't get enough of them in my ear holes.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4kTvhSlqEPc4lnEgrFZdkZ
Digging Ballad of the Mighty I a whole lot.

I'm always pimping My Morning Jacket. Best heard live.

The video below is long. Give it a chance. Picks up at 3:13. Nice back story on this one. Nice sax solo to close it out.

Personal favorites: Dontante, One Big Holiday, Steam Engine, Tyrone, Wordless Chorus, Touch Me I’m Going To Scream, Pt. 2. My new Zeppelin.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 12:03 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Nice track! I have several notes regarding the production. I can either list them here or send a PM, whatever's best for you.
Ooooo, do it here. I'd like to see your recommendations as a home recording hobiest myself.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:13 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
Ooooo, do it here. I'd like to see your recommendations as a home recording hobiest myself.
As it turns out, he only added the vocals. The band and recording were done separately and actually, internationally, so my comments wouldn't be of any use to him in terms of changing the mix.

But, that said, the production was a hodge-podge. The vocals were way too far back in the mix: Vocals should always be forward, but not on "top" of the mix.

The guitars were upper midrange heavy. I would have advised a notching around 1.4k 3-4 db with a wide Q. The kick drum was out of place in this genre, with too much thud and not nearly enough top end so I would have notched around 300 hz to start, with a wide Q and moved it around until I found the "Sweet" spot. It also needed a little top end, starting around 5k. The guitars were too dry and, IMO, needed a 1/4 note and 1/16th note tempo delay to give the track more "vibe".

But the most glaring issue, outside of the vocals, was the snare. There's too much "Ambient" mic. which is juxtaposed to the virtual dryness of the rest of the song. It's way out of place. I'd either pull back the room mics or choose a different snare that's more "intimate", thus fitting the overall sound much better.
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:25 AM 03-19-2015
As it turns out, he only added the vocals. The band and recording were done separately and actually, internationally, so my comments wouldn't be of any use to him in terms of changing the mix.

But, that said, the production was a hodge-podge. The vocals were way too far back in the mix: Vocals should always be forward, but not on "top" of the mix.

The guitars were upper midrange heavy. I would have advised a notching around 1.4k 3-4 db with a wide Q. The kick drum was out of place in this genre, with too much thud and not nearly enough top end so I would have notched around 300 hz to start, with a wide Q and moved it around until I found the "Sweet" spot. It also needed a little top end, starting around 5k. The guitars were too dry and, IMO, needed a 1/4 note and 1/16th note tempo delay to give the track more "vibe".

But the most glaring issue, outside of the vocals, was the snare. There's too much "Ambient" mic. which is juxtaposed to the virtual dryness of the rest of the song. It's way out of place. I'd either pull back the room mics or choose a different snare that's more "intimate", thus fitting the overall sound much better.
If I was mixing the entire track, I would surely apply your opinions and see how it compares.

I do have some new tracks I'm mixing completely myself I may need your expertise on Dane.
Maybe we need a Production thread that others like Gadzooks and everyone can share opinions and advice.
I know there are other forums for that, but we all have the AFCW in common, so that makes us special. =P
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:31 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by :
Vocals should always be forward, but not on "top" of the mix.
Curious Dane, did my vocals sit too much on top in this case?
What can I do to get them forward but not on top on this song? Is it a case of getting your instrumental fixes done first?

I sent off your suggestions to the band and they loved hearing them. (They are music students at college)
Hopefully we can use your critiques and make this thing better! =)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:53 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
Curious Dane, did my vocals sit too much on top in this case?
What can I do to get them forward but not on top on this song? Is it a case of getting your instrumental fixes done first?

I sent off your suggestions to the band and they loved hearing them. (They are music students at college)
Hopefully we can use your critiques and make this thing better! =)
Cool, man! Glad to help!

I thought your vocals weren't nearly loud enough and were competing with the distorted guitars for space. If the guitars had less midrange, the kick drum had less "thud" and the snare was tighter and less ambient, your vocals would likely need a db or 2 at most.

Personally, I like the vocals to a little more compressed, like Cornell's in Soundgarden and especially Myles Kennedy's in Alter Bridge. It just gives it more vibe and character but everyone hears things differently.

I'm super busy for the next 6 weeks or so but I have more than 100 rock and modern rock tracks that are like halfway completed because TV generally only uses 30-60 seconds, so it would be a waste of time to do a full 3-4 song with a bridge, solo section, etc. But I could send over some tracks for you to check out and maybe we can put together a song or two, which would be fun, and also to illustrate how I like to mix vocals.
[Reply]
Molitoth 11:12 AM 03-19-2015
Cool, man! Glad to help!

I thought your vocals weren't nearly loud enough and were competing with the distorted guitars for space. If the guitars had less midrange, the kick drum had less "thud" and the snare was tighter and less ambient, your vocals would likely need a db or 2 at most.

Personally, I like the vocals to a little more compressed, like Cornell's in Soundgarden and especially Myles Kennedy's in Alter Bridge. It just gives it more vibe and character but everyone hears things differently.

I'm super busy for the next 6 weeks or so but I have more than 100 rock and modern rock tracks that are like halfway completed because TV generally only uses 30-60 seconds, so it would be a waste of time to do a full 3-4 song with a bridge, solo section, etc. But I could send over some tracks for you to check out and maybe we can put together a song or two, which would be fun, and also to illustrate how I like to mix vocals.
:-)

I just got a hold of an LA-610 also, so I'm going to start re-tracking this one.
[Reply]
eDave 12:05 PM 03-19-2015
Cool, man! Glad to help!

Man. That is super nice. Don't sue him! :-)

Seriously, that's a cool thing.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 17
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up