ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 17
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Media Center>Bands you wish everyone else knew about.
Lprechaun 11:39 AM 01-19-2014
Every once in awhile someone somewhere will turn me onto a new band or group I hadnt heard of. Might be something older like Nat King Cole that you woldnt ever think you would like or something from your childhood that you just dont remember like Social Distortion that you have a new found respect for or a new band that you had to go find everything they had ever done.

Mine would be The Drowning Men, they were signed by Borstal Beat records after touring with Flogging Molly (BB is FMs label) the wife and I have seen them numerous times and its always a great show.
http://www.thedrowningmen.com/

My personal favorite song is "Rita". Enjoy

Im hoping to find some more good groups from this thread!
[Reply]
Lprechaun 09:51 AM 02-23-2014
Originally Posted by cdcox:
I have built in blue tooth in my Mazda 3 and use it for my phone, I just need to figure out how to configure it to play music.
IF you are using your phone you can say "Select Music Player" and pick your phone as that as well. The wife uses her S4 and we play Pandora through it all the time.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:55 AM 02-23-2014
In the metal world, I'd have to tout Priapus. Too good to be self released. They have Relapse/Willowtip and a world tour written all over them.
[Reply]
cdcox 02:53 AM 03-04-2014
The Mazda is fully Bluetooth enabled. Sound quality is a little compromised, even to my not-so-good ears. But being able to listen to music of my liking is huge.

I'm Alice falling through the rabbit hole. New-to-me bands I'm deep into:

Muse
Black Keyes
Carolyn Wonderland
Doyle bramhall
Arctic Monkeys

On deck:
Shannon Curfman
Swamp Cabbage
Dave Hole

Old bands in my que:

Dylan
Neil Young and CH
Queen

I have another 30 songs in my rotation that I never listened to until this thread.
[Reply]
jonzie04 03:50 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by rico:
Some bands I wish more people knew:

Toadies
Yeasayer
Grizzly Bear
Beach House
Screaming Trees
Rusted Root
Fred Neil (my God, listen to "The Dolphins." This guy wrote "Everybody's Talkin." I think Bob Dylan played harmonica for him when Dylan was starting out).
First Aid Kit (check out the song, "Emmylou."
Best Coast
Dry Kill Logic
The Dirty Heads
Rebelution
Iration
Slightly Stoopid
Pepper
Joy Division (although I realize, in Europe, they are VERY well known)
Sonic Youth
The Vines
Prong
Mad Season

There are a tone more.
definitely going to have to check some of these bands out. big fan of lanegan and the screaming trees, and he and layne staley in mad season. the song long gone day they did together blows my mind.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:49 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by cdcox:
The Mazda is fully Bluetooth enabled. Sound quality is a little compromised, even to my not-so-good ears. But being able to listen to music of my liking is huge.

I'm Alice falling through the rabbit hole. New-to-me bands I'm deep into:

Muse
Black Keyes
Carolyn Wonderland
Doyle bramhall
Arctic Monkeys

On deck:
Shannon Curfman
Swamp Cabbage
Dave Hole

Old bands in my que:

Dylan
Neil Young and CH
Queen

I have another 30 songs in my rotation that I never listened to until this thread.
I love Muse (although they're getting a little too pop for me) and The Black Keys.
[Reply]
Lprechaun 08:06 PM 03-25-2014
I have a couple more to add to this list for you all.
The Bunny Gang
and in New Orleans I met the first opening act for Flogging Molly, "Beans on Toast" I cant stop listening to the CD he had for sale.
From GB, he really had a good show.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 08:17 PM 03-25-2014
I think AWOLNATION is a band people should dig into a little more.

I mean, everybody knows "Sail", but that's about it.

They have a bunch of great songs. I caught a concert of theirs on Palladia and it was awesome. Made me want to see them live.
[Reply]
shitgoose 08:23 PM 03-25-2014
Older and far from unknown but I've been really into some Captain Beefheart lately. Townes Van Zandt too.
[Reply]
rico 08:30 PM 03-25-2014
Originally Posted by jonzie04:
definitely going to have to check some of these bands out. big fan of lanegan and the screaming trees, and he and layne staley in mad season. the song long gone day they did together blows my mind.
No doubt dude. That song is awesome, man!

I like the band, "Medicine." They sing that song, "Time Baby lll" in the movie, "The Crow."
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:38 PM 03-25-2014
Love rock with a little bit of soul. Here's a few:
The Walkmen
J Roddy Walston and the Business
Bad Books
Dr. Dog
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
Tallest Man on Earth (Dylan like sound)
[Reply]
rico 01:13 AM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Love rock with a little bit of soul. Here's a few:
The Walkmen
J Roddy Walston and the Business
Bad Books
Dr. Dog
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
Tallest Man on Earth (Dylan like sound)
EDWARD SHARPE AND THE MAGNETIC ZEROES!!!! WOO!!!!

I love that song on their newer album, "They Were Wrong."
[Reply]
patteeu 08:02 AM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by KcMizzou:
I think AWOLNATION is a band people should dig into a little more.

I mean, everybody knows "Sail", but that's about it.

They have a bunch of great songs. I caught a concert of theirs on Palladia and it was awesome. Made me want to see them live.
That whole first (only?) album is solid, IMO. "Sail" is one of my least favorites on it. I was surprised I liked the rest of it as much as I did.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:33 AM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I love Muse (although they're getting a little too pop for me) and The Black Keys.
So I was watching Muse on Palladia this weekend and noticed that they're headlining stadiums.

I realized I live in a fucking bubble - this "nitch" band I've been listening to the last 10 years or so has sold almost 20 million albums worldwide...
[Reply]
rico 09:44 AM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So I was watching Muse on Palladia this weekend and noticed that they're headlining stadiums.

I realized I live in a ****ing bubble - this "nitch" band I've been listening to the last 10 years or so has sold almost 20 million albums worldwide...
:-)

I saw them in concert as a headliner....at Lollapalooza....like 3-4 years ago. :-)
[Reply]
Oz_Chief 10:42 AM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by shitgoose:
Older and far from unknown but I've been really into some Captain Beefheart lately. Townes Van Zandt too.
I have been exploring Captain Beefheart lately as well. Interesting stuff. I have also been checking out:

Love
Fleetwood Mac (the first 3 albums: so good)
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Gov't Mule

In a totally different genre (exotica) I think everyone needs to own several albums by:

Les Baxter
Martin Denny
Arthur Lyman
[Reply]
Page 5 of 17
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up