ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 17
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>Bands you wish everyone else knew about.
Lprechaun 11:39 AM 01-19-2014
Every once in awhile someone somewhere will turn me onto a new band or group I hadnt heard of. Might be something older like Nat King Cole that you woldnt ever think you would like or something from your childhood that you just dont remember like Social Distortion that you have a new found respect for or a new band that you had to go find everything they had ever done.

Mine would be The Drowning Men, they were signed by Borstal Beat records after touring with Flogging Molly (BB is FMs label) the wife and I have seen them numerous times and its always a great show.
http://www.thedrowningmen.com/

My personal favorite song is "Rita". Enjoy

Im hoping to find some more good groups from this thread!
[Reply]
DaveNull 12:54 PM 01-26-2014

Postmodern Jukebox
[Reply]
Rausch 01:12 PM 01-26-2014
I'm damned near 40 and didn't truly appreciate David Bowie until finishing Life On Mars.

He's like a Tom Petty that doesn't pretend to be straight in the 70's...
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:27 PM 01-26-2014
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I'm damned near 40 and didn't truly appreciate David Bowie until finishing Life On Mars.

I got into Bowie (and T. Rex and Mott the Hoople) in college. We used to play "Ziggy Stardust" in one of my bands as part of our standard set list.

Live at Hammersmith Odeon is a cool as shit concert, queer or not.

When I look at the full-length albums I own, I own more Bowie albums than any other artists save Pink Floyd, Motorhead, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath. I have 10 of his studio albums.
[Reply]
Cheater5 01:34 PM 01-26-2014
http://youtu.be/xgqEWJ8AC9o

And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead.
[Reply]
KChiefer 12:37 PM 01-27-2014
The problem with everyone knowing about a band you like is that'll get played out quick!

I read a blurb about Silversun Pickups...6 months later it's played out. Their predecessor Smashing Pumpkins, Gish was great, Siamese Dream was great but got played out.

That Goete song? I saw it here first, now that song's a joke.

So I'll play coy here and say I have a favorite and I'm going to "Keep It Like A Secret."
[Reply]
salame 12:39 PM 01-27-2014

[Reply]
salame 12:43 PM 01-27-2014

[Reply]
KChiefer 12:47 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Rausch:

Staying with me bitching about bands getting played out, Tom Petty tops my list. I hear him all the damn time to the point where I pull a Lebowski and say I hate fucking Tom Petty! I was at a house party long ago and put on Modest Mouse (another band that got played out) only to have a girl cut it and slap on Petty as if we hadn't spun that 30 million times.

At least Bowie's considered queer so you don't hear him 3-10 times a week if you listen to a radio/jukebox. In highschool my friends gave me shit for liking Bowie and I wear it as a badge of honor.
[Reply]
frankotank 03:35 PM 01-27-2014
while I know some of you will have heard of them....by and large most people haven't.
probably my favorite band.

Kings X
[Reply]
rico 11:13 PM 01-27-2014
Right there with you guys with Walk Off the Earth. I saw them perform at Lollapalooza 2012. Was real close for the concert. They played a lot of their original, non-cover stuff..."Summer Vibe" really stuck out. The chick crowd-surfed and when she got back on stage, she reamed the crowd for groping her private parts when she was trying to have fun with the crowd by crowd surfing. Called them rude and disgusting...it was unfortunate that there were some pervs who were doing that. She made it pretty far out there...my brother and I helped prop one of her legs up as we helped her surf. I did notice that there were some dudes rushing in trying to cop a feel...it was pretty disturbing. Lady Gaga did this the year before at the Semi Precious Weapons set...I was just passing by when they were playing...I imagine she was groped as well.

But yeah, I love those guys. Other than the chick being pissed at a few dudes in the audience (and rightfully so), she was so, so, so down to Earth and personable with the crowd. I was impressed with all of them.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:18 PM 01-27-2014

[Reply]
rico 11:20 PM 01-27-2014
Some bands I wish more people knew:

Toadies
Yeasayer
Grizzly Bear
Beach House
Screaming Trees
Rusted Root
Fred Neil (my God, listen to "The Dolphins." This guy wrote "Everybody's Talkin." I think Bob Dylan played harmonica for him when Dylan was starting out).
First Aid Kit (check out the song, "Emmylou."
Best Coast
Dry Kill Logic
The Dirty Heads
Rebelution
Iration
Slightly Stoopid
Pepper
Joy Division (although I realize, in Europe, they are VERY well known)
Sonic Youth
The Vines
Prong
Mad Season

There are a tone more.
[Reply]
Pablo 12:30 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by rico:
Some bands I wish more people knew:

Toadies
Yeasayer
Grizzly Bear
Beach House
Screaming Trees
Rusted Root
Fred Neil (my God, listen to "The Dolphins." This guy wrote "Everybody's Talkin." I think Bob Dylan played harmonica for him when Dylan was starting out).
First Aid Kit (check out the song, "Emmylou."
Best Coast
Dry Kill Logic
The Dirty Heads
Rebelution
Iration
Slightly Stoopid
Pepper
Joy Division (although I realize, in Europe, they are VERY well known)
Sonic Youth
The Vines
Prong
Mad Season

There are a tone more.
These are all artists I very much enjoy.

Although, Grizzly Bear's 'Shields' may be one of my favorite albums ever.
[Reply]
rico 12:56 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Pablo:
These are all artists I very much enjoy.

Although, Grizzly Bear's 'Shields' may be one of my favorite albums ever.
'Shields' is great...I've seen an interview with them where they heavily implied that they put a lot more effort into making that album when compared to their previous works, especially when it came to the lyrics.

That Sweden-folk music combo seems to work well...it does for First Aid Kit anyways...that band is unique as hell.
[Reply]
Pablo 01:03 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by rico:
'Shields' is great...I've seen an interview with them where they heavily implied that they put a lot more effort into making that album when compared to their previous works, especially when it came to the lyrics.

That Sweden-folk music combo seems to work well...it does for First Aid Kit anyways...that band is unique as hell.
Whatever they did, I really enjoy the album. I've always been a lyrics-first guy, maybe that's why I appreciate it so much.

I'm going to listen to it as soon as soon as I'm done with my Tame Impala binge.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 17
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up