ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Will the Chiefs finally have a top-10 defense in 2023?
Megatron96 10:45 PM 05-30-2023
Here's the deal:

Spags was brought in to retool the defense and do what he did two times in his career before joining the Chiefs in 2019, and that's simply to build a legit top-10 defense in KC.

Well, he's still trying to make that happen entering his fifth year as the Chiefs' DC.

In his favor, the defense has been retooled at all levels, sporting one of the best LB corps that KC fans have ever seen, and of course yet another solid DB unit that promises to be as fast and athletic as any in recent memory.

The question marks in 2023 are pretty much centered along the DL, though CJ is still the centerpiece and he's still one of the top-2 best DLs in the league. However, the rest of the DTs, including Nnadi, Shelton, Coburn (R), and Wharton may be little more than placeholders/rotational depth. Most of us believe that Coburn, drafted this spring, should quickly become a solid starter in KC, and be an able replacement for the departed Saunders.

The EDGEs look like a more capable group with more than three months to go before the first regular season game, with high expectations for Karlaftis' 2nd season, and both Omenihu (brought over from SF) and FAU also drafted in 2023 being key role players on the new DL.

So, as I said, expectations are high. Even PFN has predicted the Chiefs defense to begin the season no worse than 13th.

But can they do better, and finally achieve what Spags' defenses have been unable to claim since his hiring in 2019?

It won't be easy, btw. A look at the 2023 schedule reveals a tough opening two and a half months before the bye.

Week 1: DET

Week 2: @JAX

Week 3: CHI

Week 4: @NYJ

Week 5: @MIN

Week 6: DEN

Week 7: LAC

Week 8: @DEN

Week 9: MIA

Week 10: BYE

Six of those teams boast solid rushing attacks, a predicted weakness for the Chiefs defense, again in 2023. Six were among the top-10 ranked offenses. Three were ranked in the top-10 on defense.

Playoff predictions are almost foolish at this early date, but it looks like the Chiefs might face as many as five, or even six, playoff teams in the first ten weeks of the season.

So the question is, can Spags and his defense build on what they were able to accomplish last season and break into the ranks of the top-10 defenses in the NFL in 2023? Facing what could be a murders' row of playoff-bound teams one after the other until the bye on 11/5?

The first nine weeks of the 2023 season cold decide the post-season fate of the Kansas City Chiefs.
[Reply]
RedinTexas 06:32 AM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah, I don't expect to ever be top 10 in yards allowed and don't care.

Yards per pass
3rd down D
Scoring D
Takeaways
Sacks

^ The things I care about.

I think this team is going to be dramatically improved in the back end. Yes, they're losing Thornhill, but I think the upgrade Tranquill is going to provide on passing downs at LB is significant. I also think Cook and Edwards will prove to be a better combination than Thornhill and Cook were last year. and the CB room should be improved, too, just from experience.
Boiled down to brass tacks, the only thing that really matters is Scoring D.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 07:15 AM 05-31-2023
Caught a bit of Seahawks v Chargers from week 7 last season on NFLN yesterday and Drue Tranquill was flashing all over the place. Such a good pickup. Our LB group is gonna crush souls this season.

He and Omenihu are both outstanding additions to our defense.
[Reply]
scho63 07:39 AM 05-31-2023
If we finish between 8-14, we are easily SB bound again.

I would be happy with that.

Just want more sacks.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:47 AM 05-31-2023
unlikely because we always seem to give up a lot of garbage time yards and points, and simply having mahomes inflates our defensive numbers
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 08:31 AM 05-31-2023
I'd simply be happy with not surrendering a fucking touchdown every time an opponent steps one foot inside our redzone.

Shore that up, you got a scary unit. For whatever reason, once the opponent reaches our redzone, Steve just gets a big ol grin on his face, slaps his thigh with an " Aww Shucks" and just bends over and drops his little panties.

I still laugh at his superbowl presser where he lamented not getting the opportunity to close out the game because the offense just ran all the time out.

Shore up redzone and let the statistics be what they are.
[Reply]
Redbled 08:50 AM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME:
so the question is, Frank Clark or Deandre Hopkins? not sure there is enough space for both…
I don’t see us spending enough on Clark that we have to choose.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 09:37 AM 05-31-2023
I haven't been this excited about our defense since 1998.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:21 AM 05-31-2023
Interestingly, KC's defense was tied for 10th in points allowed last season.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:39 PM 05-31-2023
His defense was top 10 in points in 2019.

Rank well in points or turnovers and a defense is doing its job in today's NFL..
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:40 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Interestingly, KC's defense was tied for 10th in points allowed last season.
I think something like 48 out of 56 Super Bowl winners had a defense ranked in the top 10 for scoring.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 02:45 PM 05-31-2023
Points, turnovers and 3rd down percentage--be top ten in those and the rest is gravy.

Get the opponent off the field and the ball in Pat's hands.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:51 PM 05-31-2023

Yards per pass
3rd down D
Scoring D
Takeaways
Sacks

I think this team is going to be dramatically improved in the back end. Yes, they're losing Thornhill, but I think the upgrade Tranquill is going to provide on passing downs at LB is significant. I also think Cook and Edwards will prove to be a better combination than Thornhill and Cook were last year. and the CB room should be improved, too, just from experience.
I’ve come full circle on sacks. Used to think they were all that mattered, but then focused more on pressure without blitzing.

At the end of the day, they aren’t everything but they matter a lot.

Sacks straight up wrecked several on Cincy’s drives in the AFCCG. Pressure doesn’t stop guys like Burrow. Sacks do.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:01 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
I’ve come full circle on sacks. Used to think they were all that mattered, but then focused more on pressure without blitzing.

At the end of the day, they aren’t everything but they matter a lot.

Sacks straight up wrecked several on Cincy’s drives in the AFCCG. Pressure doesn’t stop guys like Burrow. Sacks do.

mmm, I'm not certain, but I'm fairly sure that both INTs in the AFCG were the result of pressure in Burrow's face.

Anyway, i think our defense might not be top-10 in yardage, not with the rules being what they are, as well as how every team plays KC like it's the SB.

But if they can be a top-10 defense in scoring, 3rd downs and turnovers it'll be enough.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:25 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Caught a bit of Seahawks v Chargers from week 7 last season on NFLN yesterday and Drue Tranquill was flashing all over the place. Such a good pickup. Our LB group is gonna crush souls this season.

He and Omenihu are both outstanding additions to our defense.
This right here excites me, We've never had a set of LB's like this. Tranquil was the finishing touch we needed.
[Reply]
crispystl 03:46 PM 05-31-2023

Yards per pass
3rd down D
Scoring D
Takeaways
Sacks

Should have a better pass rush too, with Karlaftis in his second year and adding Uzi.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up