ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Gravely Mower 991166 60" ZT
Holladay 01:03 AM 05-28-2023
This is for a old couple I am trying to help.

Newer model ~5 yro. He used to be an everything mechanic. Navy vet in Vietnam. They have a small acreage down the road from my place. Alzheimer sucks.

Message on the small LCD readout that shows number of hours used, states "oil filter" error. I changed the oil filter. "air filter" error message. I changed the air filter. Oil level is fine.

It runs for 10 min then stops. Then the same error messages pop up and the mower stops. I am not sure that if just running the mower or if the PTO engages for the blades that causes the message. The local mechanic said to check fuses or some 2 wires someplace. (I didn't talk to him, wife did). He charges $50/hr and has been up to their place many times.

If that was the case, the fuses or the wires the mower wouldn't start in the first place.

I am thinking a computer reset button/code that I replaced both filters, that I didn't reset. Kind of like when I get my oil changed in my car...I reset the oil used % back up to 100%. Or error codes for a O2 sensor. Though a code for oil/air filter could shut down the mower to prevent engine damage.

When I changed both filters, the computer doesn't know, therefore shuts down after a few minutes not to damage the engine?????

They paid ~$5k for the mower and another $3k on the dumb stuff that he has inflicted on the mower over the last few years.

It is a nice mower, 60" deck, 24 hp Kawasaki motor, low hours. She wants just to sell the damn thing and not sink in anymore money into it. My wife will mow their place for them, but he is getting aggressive (Alzheimer's) and doesn't what her to touch the darn thing.

Sad.

Is there an easy fix? Reset the error codes on the mower? I maintain my riding mower/do basic stuff on the cars/ know enough to be dangerous (Like Russell).

Not my mower and don't want to sign into a Gravely Forum for hopefully an easy fix.

Thoughts or advice to what avenues to pursue?
[Reply]
Holladay 02:16 PM 05-31-2023
Welp, I done. Correct new fuel filter, turns out the gas was only 2 weeks old. Loosened gas cap....runs a bit, then sputters some, then dies. It lasted 3 min.

I didn't put in any Seafoam. It starts back up fairly quickly...drive a bit, rinse and repeat.

The other day I ran it in the barn idling. I sat there for 10 min, seemed fine. Started driving it and didn't get very far. Dunno.

I will put some Seafoam in, then idle it fast for an hour.

See what happens.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:23 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by Holladay:
I will put some Seafoam in, then idle it fast for an hour.

See what happens.
These are pearls they're giving you boy
[Reply]
TLO 03:06 PM 05-31-2023
$800 drone
[Reply]
ping2000 04:47 PM 05-31-2023
Time to give up and just set it on fire.
[Reply]
TribalElder 09:56 PM 05-31-2023
time to make up a fake profile and sell that thing on craigslist
[Reply]
Stewie 04:43 AM 06-01-2023
This would be my next attempt. An inexpensive and easy replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Karbay-Carbur...ws_feature_div
[Reply]
Stewie 06-01-2023, 04:48 AM
This message has been deleted by Stewie. Reason: Dupe
Holladay 11:26 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by :
This would be my next attempt. An inexpensive and easy replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Karbay-Carbur...ws_feature_div
I will look into it.

My wife ran the mower on fast idle for 45 min in the barn this yesterday afternoon. Ran fine.

I took a friend over to look tonight. His thoughts were water in the gas. Since the gas is only 2 weeks old, I think not. I added a bunch of Seafoam and as I ran around, I think that will take care of that. It will help knock off some light tarnish in the carb. But not heavy.

Thus your idea is prolly the solution.

I ran it around on low idle. It did well. Ramped it up a bit, still OK. Fast not quite as well. Engaged the blades, lasted 2 min. So, it seems, under load, is the problem.

Since I replaced all the filters, new gas, cleared the computer, Seafoam to help over time, my next step was to address the fuel pump. It is an easy try.

But in the end, yes, a new carb for $33 is the answer. It might be a bit much to bite off on though. Google is your friend.
[Reply]
Pablo 12:05 PM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by George Brett Statue:
$800 drone
Whoa whoa whoa it's $800.00
[Reply]
Stewie 12:08 PM 06-01-2023
It's not the fuel pump. It wouldn't run for 45 minutes if that were the problem. Those fuel pumps are very simple. They pump using the pulse of the engine. Not much to go wrong, especially a mower that new.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to replace that carb. It's removing 2 screws, the choke cable, fuel line and solenoid wire. Just reverse the process to install. Make sure the mating surfaces on the engine and carb are clean when installing. Use the new gaskets.
[Reply]
Holladay 01:02 PM 06-01-2023
Keul

I like easy.

Thanks.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 06:31 PM 06-01-2023
I'd say run it hard until it quits. Right away pull the plugs and check if they are bone dry or are wet. If they are wet it probably isn't the gas or carburetor since the gas is new. More likely an electrical issue. Which is what it seems to me now. Something like the seat or operating in reverse sensors. The fact it will sit at idle for 45 minutes with no problem but when you engage the blades and get things vibrating makes me think that.

Take my yokel advice with a grain of salt. In any case you're a good person for helping out your neighbor.
[Reply]
Holladay 10:47 PM 06-01-2023
Doing the best I can. Robert, husband, Alzheimer issues, stood in the doorway the whole 30 min I was testing the mower thinking I was going to steal HIS mower.

Sad.

When I was done trying, I went inside to shake his hand and he was hostile.

Imagine, Vicky having to live with that.

He is a Navy Vet that served in Hawaii and told me about the filming of "Tora, Tora, Tora" while they lived there. The actor planes running "dive" missions over the island etc. He was a goldsmith and did a lot of custom jewelry. A gun nut:-) that served as a Board Member of Front Sight: Front Sight Firearms Training Institute, also known as Front Sight and as Front Sight Resorts, was founded in 1996 by Dr Ignatius Piazza.

He was a friend of Sam Walton. If you know who that guy was.

Sad to say, they, Vicky and Robert, don't have a pot to piss in. He blew his back out years ago (don't know the circumstances) with a ton of medical bills. Daughter, Tiffany, beautiful, not that matters, was Trust Fund Baby was found in a bath tub in Los Vegas, almost OD'd on drugs. So bad that she had to have her legs amputated from the knees down, almost got her hands as well. They spent a boat load of money on her. She died a few years ago, aged 38. She was also a neighbor. She did "gigs" at Harvard and such about the perils of drug use.

Vicky is in a living hell.

So, that is the background story. You can't make this stuff up:-)
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:58 PM 06-01-2023
Doing the best I can. Robert, husband, Alzheimer issues, stood in the doorway the whole 30 min I was testing the mower thinking I was going to steal HIS mower.

Sad.

When I was done trying, I went inside to shake his hand and he was hostile.

Imagine, Vicky having to live with that.

His is a Navy Vet that served in Hawaii and told me about the filming of "Tora, Tora, Tora" while they lived there.

He was a friend of Sam Walton. If you know who that guy was.

Sad to say, they, Vicky and Robert, don't have a pot to piss in. He blew his back out years ago (don't know the circumstances) with a ton of medical bills. Daughter, Tiffany, beautiful, not that matters, was Trust Fund Baby was found in a bath tub in Los Vegas, almost OD'd on drugs. So bad that she had to have her legs amputated from the knees down, almost got her hands as well. They spent a boat load of money on her. She died a few years ago, aged 38. She was also a neighbor. She did "gigs" at Harvard and such about the perils of drug use.

Vicky is in a living hell.

So, that is the background story. You can't make this stuff up:-)
Man, that really sucks. Sounds like she's going to have to get help pretty soon. Must be a terrible thing seeing the person you've spent your life with turning into a different person right in front of your eyes.
[Reply]
Holladay 11:07 PM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by :
Sounds like she's going to have to get help pretty soon
From who? No family around. Son is too busy down at the Lake of the Ozarks being a musician and an IT guy to be of any help.

That's the problem. What can she do. She is captive. They don't have enough money to put him into adult care facility. She has to live with him as an aggressive, no short term memory life. Can't do Long Term Care insurance. Not in his condition.

I am researching what the VA can do. Thus far, not much.

Man, I am hoping that I go like my Dad did a few months back, die in my sleep.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:37 PM 06-01-2023
From who? No family around. Son is too busy down at the Lake of the Ozarks being a musician and an IT guy to be of any help.

That's the problem. What can she do. She is captive. They don't have enough money to put him into adult care facility. She has to live with him as an aggressive, no short term memory life. Can't do Long Term Care insurance. Not in his condition.

I am researching what the VA can do. Thus far, not much.

Man, I am hoping that I go like my Dad did a few months back, die in my sleep.
She can get him on Medicaid for the elderly and then she can get him in a nursing home. He will be eligible for Medicare/Medicaid. She's not captive at all.

This is a resource regarding protecting assets when she gets him in a place

https://dss.mo.gov/fsd/spousi.htm

This is about Medicaid for the elderly and nursing home coverage. Sounds like he is eligible.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/revie...3-57d06d3eb7b1

She's not stuck and can get help.

Edit

They're in Missouri, correct?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up