ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Gravely Mower 991166 60" ZT
Holladay 01:03 AM 05-28-2023
This is for a old couple I am trying to help.

Newer model ~5 yro. He used to be an everything mechanic. Navy vet in Vietnam. They have a small acreage down the road from my place. Alzheimer sucks.

Message on the small LCD readout that shows number of hours used, states "oil filter" error. I changed the oil filter. "air filter" error message. I changed the air filter. Oil level is fine.

It runs for 10 min then stops. Then the same error messages pop up and the mower stops. I am not sure that if just running the mower or if the PTO engages for the blades that causes the message. The local mechanic said to check fuses or some 2 wires someplace. (I didn't talk to him, wife did). He charges $50/hr and has been up to their place many times.

If that was the case, the fuses or the wires the mower wouldn't start in the first place.

I am thinking a computer reset button/code that I replaced both filters, that I didn't reset. Kind of like when I get my oil changed in my car...I reset the oil used % back up to 100%. Or error codes for a O2 sensor. Though a code for oil/air filter could shut down the mower to prevent engine damage.

When I changed both filters, the computer doesn't know, therefore shuts down after a few minutes not to damage the engine?????

They paid ~$5k for the mower and another $3k on the dumb stuff that he has inflicted on the mower over the last few years.

It is a nice mower, 60" deck, 24 hp Kawasaki motor, low hours. She wants just to sell the damn thing and not sink in anymore money into it. My wife will mow their place for them, but he is getting aggressive (Alzheimer's) and doesn't what her to touch the darn thing.

Sad.

Is there an easy fix? Reset the error codes on the mower? I maintain my riding mower/do basic stuff on the cars/ know enough to be dangerous (Like Russell).

Not my mower and don't want to sign into a Gravely Forum for hopefully an easy fix.

Thoughts or advice to what avenues to pursue?
[Reply]
Holladay 08:08 PM 05-28-2023
I don't know. Good question. After checking correct fuel filter and gas, plugs were going to be my next/last thoughts.

I haven't messed with the gas cap, as mentioned earlier.

It has 259 hrs, bought new 5 yr ago.

I have officially named this Gremlin Richard, as in Dick:-)
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 08:15 PM 05-28-2023
Drain the gas and put fresh petrol in. It sounds like you have the basics going like air, fuel and spark. Bad gas is just what we call it. BAD.
[Reply]
Holladay 08:30 PM 05-28-2023
Yup, and an easy fix.

BTW, that mower is a BEAST. It has been awhile since I have driven it.

Flat ground with few pot holes, dog mole digs it would be fine. Jees, I was bouncing all over the place on their 2 acre lawn.

Their daughter, who was a hotty with big tiddies, mowed their place a number of times, would have black eyes.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:37 PM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by Holladay:
I don't know. Good question. After checking correct fuel filter and gas, plugs were going to be my next/last thoughts.

I haven't messed with the gas cap, as mentioned earlier.

It has 259 hrs, bought new 5 yr ago.

I have officially named this Gremlin Richard, as in Dick:-)
The plugs shouldn't be bad after that many hours. I ask because the engine needs spark and fuel to run. If the plugs are wet after the motor dies it could be fuel but most likely is a spark issue, meaning something is shutting the motor down electrically and I mean some kind of sensor, not the plugs themselves.

Check your new fuel filter again to see if it is discolored. We had an old metal fuel can that we used for 20 years and it eventually started flaking metal which clogged the filter. But if your neighbor is using a plastic gas can that probably isn't it. You can try draining the fuel and replacing with new, but if the new fuel filter looks clean I doubt that's what it is.

The fact it was throwing out error codes at the start makes me suspect an electrical issue that requires diagnosing by someone more intelligent than me.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:44 PM 05-28-2023
The other thing you could do is to figure out how to take the plastic motor covering off assuming it has one. One winter I had a mouse climb up under it and chew the magneto wire almost off. My two cylinder motor ran like shit after that until I figured it out and replaced the magneto.
[Reply]
Holladay 08:58 PM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by :
someone more intelligent than me
Nail meet head. After these last few items, I am out.

I understand the air/spark/fuel thought process.

I did check the new fuel filter after it shutting down the limited time it ran. Clean. The old one was quite brownish.

The error codes were before I changed the filters. As I mentioned before, the codes were for the H oil (hydraulic fluid hour limit) and air filter-hour limit. I changed the filters, air/fuel/normal oil filter (not H oil), but the codes stated "change NOW". So I reset the H oil and air codes back to factory settings ie 400 hrs and 100 hrs reset.

After I cleared those codes, it threw no error codes before I replaced the fuel filter. It still seemed to be "running out of gas" with the new filter.
[Reply]
Holladay 09:06 PM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by :
magneto
Wasn't he the villain in the Marvel Comics?

I kinda know what that is, but I am starting to get that 1000m stare....
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:11 PM 05-28-2023
Nail meet head. After these last few items, I am out.

I understand the air/spark/fuel thought process.

I did check the new fuel filter after it shutting down the limited time it ran. Clean. The old one was quite brownish.

The error codes were before I changed the filters. As I mentioned before, the codes were for the H oil (hydraulic fluid hour limit) and air filter-hour limit. I changed the filters, air/fuel/normal oil filter (not H oil), but the codes stated "change NOW". So I reset the H oil and air codes back to factory settings ie 400 hrs and 100 hrs reset.

After I cleared those codes, it threw no error codes before I replaced the fuel filter. It still seemed to be "running out of gas" with the new filter.
Have you tried putting new gas in? The guy has Alzheimers. Maybe he put some water in it or something and so now the gas is bad.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:15 PM 05-28-2023
https://ck5.com/forums/threads/grave...unning.340769/

Here are some ideas.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:27 PM 05-28-2023
Wasn't he the villain in the Marvel Comics?

I kinda know what that is, but I am starting to get that 1000m stare....
You're a good man for helping an old couple out and I commend you for it.

I only know the small engine basics and what I've run into. Without looking at it I lean towards an electrical issue, not gas. Open up the air filter unit to make sure it is getting air. After replacing the gas I'd suggest having them take it in to a mech.
[Reply]
Holladay 09:59 PM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by :
suggest having them take it in to a mech.
Naw If I can't fix it, they are just going to park it.

That is one of the next steps. New gas and ensure the new fuel filter is correct.

I appreciate all the help. I told Vicky about the smooches. She giggled and said "Sure"
[Reply]
Holladay 09:19 PM 05-29-2023
I talked to a friend of mine that does a lot of engine work. He agrees to check proper fuel filter and bad gas.

He also stated about the seal on the gas cap lid. The timing of 75' running then starving of gas might be because there is a suction/vacuum build up and not venting that keeps the gas from getting to the carb.

All 3 easy options. After that it is a Townsend moment.

I appreciate the feed back.
[Reply]
neech 07:20 AM 05-30-2023
Yup, and an easy fix.

BTW, that mower is a BEAST. It has been awhile since I have driven it.

Flat ground with few pot holes, dog mole digs it would be fine. Jees, I was bouncing all over the place on their 2 acre lawn.

Their daughter, who was a hotty with big tiddies, mowed their place a number of times, would have black eyes.
I've had my mower bounce up and down so much that over time the spark plugs would shimmy out of the socket. I thought my mower was messed up and figured out it was an easy fix.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:41 AM 05-30-2023
Also, once you drain the gas and fill it back up with non corncob gas, add some sea foam to the gas, to clean things up. It works well. When he stores anything with gas in it for an extended amount of time, like over the winter, add some and run the engine for a few minutes to work the gas/sea foam mixture through the system. It will stabilize the fuel for a year.

[Reply]
Holladay 09:55 AM 05-30-2023
Good idea.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up