ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Gravely Mower 991166 60" ZT
Holladay 01:03 AM 05-28-2023
This is for a old couple I am trying to help.

Newer model ~5 yro. He used to be an everything mechanic. Navy vet in Vietnam. They have a small acreage down the road from my place. Alzheimer sucks.

Message on the small LCD readout that shows number of hours used, states "oil filter" error. I changed the oil filter. "air filter" error message. I changed the air filter. Oil level is fine.

It runs for 10 min then stops. Then the same error messages pop up and the mower stops. I am not sure that if just running the mower or if the PTO engages for the blades that causes the message. The local mechanic said to check fuses or some 2 wires someplace. (I didn't talk to him, wife did). He charges $50/hr and has been up to their place many times.

If that was the case, the fuses or the wires the mower wouldn't start in the first place.

I am thinking a computer reset button/code that I replaced both filters, that I didn't reset. Kind of like when I get my oil changed in my car...I reset the oil used % back up to 100%. Or error codes for a O2 sensor. Though a code for oil/air filter could shut down the mower to prevent engine damage.

When I changed both filters, the computer doesn't know, therefore shuts down after a few minutes not to damage the engine?????

They paid ~$5k for the mower and another $3k on the dumb stuff that he has inflicted on the mower over the last few years.

It is a nice mower, 60" deck, 24 hp Kawasaki motor, low hours. She wants just to sell the damn thing and not sink in anymore money into it. My wife will mow their place for them, but he is getting aggressive (Alzheimer's) and doesn't what her to touch the darn thing.

Sad.

Is there an easy fix? Reset the error codes on the mower? I maintain my riding mower/do basic stuff on the cars/ know enough to be dangerous (Like Russell).

Not my mower and don't want to sign into a Gravely Forum for hopefully an easy fix.

Thoughts or advice to what avenues to pursue?
[Reply]
Stewie 01:12 AM 05-28-2023
Running for a while and dying. Is the gas tank venting properly?
[Reply]
Holladay 01:35 AM 05-28-2023
Not sure. But why the error codes for oil/air filters? Would not venting cause the codes?

How do I check if the tank is venting? Keep the gas lids cracked while running?

Vicky asked tonight at our BBQ if it might be a carbonator issue. Not sure. It is not an old mower and gas now days are clean running. I replaced the gas filter last year.

This is not my '48 Ford 8N tractor (used 2x/yr) that you need to be careful of what fuel and carb issues over time not being used.
[Reply]
Stewie 01:49 AM 05-28-2023
The tank vents thru the gas cap. The vent holes can get plugged or the cap has gone bad. This creates a vacuum and fuel won't flow after a while.

Run it without the cap and see if it still dies. You can also keep the cap in place but very loose to allow the tank to vent.
[Reply]
Rasputin 02:09 AM 05-28-2023

[Reply]
Holladay 04:23 AM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by :
Run it without the cap and see if it still dies. You can also keep the cap in place but very loose to allow the tank to vent.
Got it. Would not have thought about that. Will try.

Though still does not explain the codes.
[Reply]
TribalElder 05:45 AM 05-28-2023
disconnect battery reset the maintenance clock?
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 06:05 AM 05-28-2023
Fetzer valve? This place is slipping.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:53 AM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
Fetzer valve? This place is slipping.
Don't tell me my business boy... It's all ball bearings these days...
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 11:27 AM 05-28-2023

[Reply]
Holladay 02:00 PM 05-28-2023
BINGO:-)

That is what I was looking for.

Vicky will give you a smooch if it works. Keep in mind she is 78 yro.

I will report back later.

Again, thanks. GO CP.
[Reply]
ping2000 03:27 PM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Don't tell me my business boy... It's all ball bearings these days...
John Cocktoasten agrees.
[Reply]
Holladay 04:30 PM 05-28-2023
Did a reset on H Oil and Air Filter. Those were the 2 flags. Strangely no code for normal oil nor fuel filter.

It ran for 75 feet then petered out. There were no error codes displayed. This being the first time I have driven it, it sounds like it running out of gas. I will replace the fuel filter tonight.

I checked my Land Pride mower, which is a knock off from Gravely. There is no reset button by the hour display. Goofy.
[Reply]
Holladay 06:57 PM 05-28-2023
I am getting stumped more and more. Yes, the old fuel filter needed changing. Vicky went to O'Reilly's with the Model of the mower. She didn't bring in the old fuel filter, thus they weren't sure of the exact because they didn't have the number from the old one.

I plugged it in and it fits. Ran it 100 yds and died like from lack of fuel.

Is a fuel filter a fuel filter? The old one was dirty. Need to ensure the correct part number?

Bad gas? She didn't know how old the gas was in the gas can. I smelled it and seems fine. Like I know.

So, to sum up: ensure proper fuel filter and empty gas tank and re-fill with new gas.

That's all I got....
[Reply]
mlyonsd 07:19 PM 05-28-2023
When it dies after being started are the plugs still wet or dry?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up