ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>We shouldn't sleep on John Ross.
Direckshun 10:50 AM 05-25-2023
I keep coming back to something, because I see in all these threads we are making assumptions about the approaching WR depth chart.

Toney
MVS
Moore
Rice

The above four are locks. I think we can agree that Justin Watson is not a lock but is close to one, as the Chiefs love the depth he offers and his special teams work as well.

The Chiefs will carry 6 WRs on the roster, maybe 7, and the talents left are:And John Ross.

To remind all of you, Justin Ross is 27 years old, was drafted 9th overall by the Bengals in 2017. Prior to that, he set the Combine record for the 40 yard dash, running a 4.22, including an elite 1.49 10-yard split (only two receivers beat that split at the Combine this year, and -- oddly enough -- Rashee Rice actually tied that).

Ross went on to be a colossal bust, recording exactly one touch his rookie season, which he fumbled. He has battled injuries and a decent Bengals depth chart to record 62 receptions for 957 yards in his career so far, recording a completion on merely 43% of his targets. He's also recorded three fumbles, which means 5% of his touches, he's fumbling. He was a Giant for the 2021 season, and spent the 2022 season out of football until the Chiefs signed him in January.

This is a pretty grisly career, but I think he's got a chance to be a sleeper for the Chiefs roster, but only if the Chiefs choose to roster 7 WRs -- which they rarely do, especially when they have four TEs already that they really like.

Ross may be worth the 7th slot, however.Now, I don't think John Ross can replicate even what Mecole Hardman did.

But ask yourself: can he replicate what De'Anthony Thomas did? I think the answer to that is yes.

I think he's a wild gamble, and as such I wouldn't take him over Richie James for the #6 spot. But hey, if the Chiefs elect to roster a 7th WR, he's got an advantage over the other WRs in that there is a clear need that, in theory, he alone can fill at this time.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:57 AM 05-25-2023
Ya know, you can post these threads in the lounge.

This is starting to feel real "Safe spacey".
[Reply]
staylor26 11:07 AM 05-25-2023
You forgot about Watson...
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:17 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
You forgot about Watson...
I threw Watson in there.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:34 AM 05-25-2023
Ngl it would be epic to have John Ross help us end the Bengals season again after they took him the pick before Mahomes
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:38 AM 05-25-2023
Anyone notice our collection of former Giants receivers?

Our WR group is comprised of players that many considered the two worst receiving groups in all of football two seasons ago; the Giants and Packers.

MVS -Packers
Toney - Giants
James - Giants
Ross - Giants
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:51 AM 05-25-2023
Heh. I didn’t catch that at all.

That’s pretty fascinating. I guess there’s a ton of overlap between our schemes.

There’s a lot of overlap with our defenses as well.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:13 PM 05-25-2023
I dont get the Remigio love but really who tf knows
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:57 PM 05-25-2023
McCluster and Thomas weren't fast, they were just small. They were small and slow.
[Reply]
Why Not? 02:38 PM 05-25-2023
Kick returns are obsolete now so that doesn't really matter. James is making the roster so there is one spot left for the Ross bros and the other dudes to battle for. John has a shot, just like they all will.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:57 PM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
McCluster and Thomas weren't fast, they were just small. They were small and slow.
They were quick and shifty. Not really straight line fast.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:22 PM 05-25-2023
It's wild to think how John Ross was drafted one spot BEFORE Mahomes.

I think he's going to get IR'd at the end of preseason and we'll see what plans they have for him in '24 with MVS' status sort of unknown.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:53 PM 05-25-2023
Statistically, he's Hardman lite. And considering his injury history, I'd be surprised if he played in more than 7 games or caught more than 15 balls.

But we acquired him for a bag of chips so let's see if there's any juice there at all before he inevitably blows a hammy or whatever and goes on IR.
[Reply]
Bump 05:23 PM 05-25-2023
It's going to be interesting to see who makes the team. I think someone is going to have to completely dominate preseason and training camp to make the team out side of the obvious locks. James would have to look like shit and so would Watson for either Ross or one of those UDA's to make it. Or an injury, let's hope it's not that though.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:44 PM 05-25-2023
These guys are roster locks

Toney
Moore
MVS
Rice
Watson
James

That's 6 guys, but luckily for the other guys injuries happen all the time, so if they make the PS or get released and go unsigned, then they could be resigned after an injury. Chances of any of those guys making the roster outside of those 6 is pretty close to 0.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up