ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 21
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Florio: Mahomes to be the highest paid QB in football again soon
Hammock Parties 10:30 AM 05-09-2023

Expect Patrick Mahomes to once again be the highest-paid player in football on an APY basis, before Week One. https://t.co/k2dDcjahE8

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) May 9, 2023

Originally Posted by :
When Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes signed his current 12-year contract three years ago, he nudged the bar for the highest average per year (APY) by roughly $10 million, to $45 million annually.

Now, with Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson at $52 million per year, Mahomes has fallen $7 million per year behind the highest-paid player in the sport.

Chiefs G.M. Brett Veach already has vowed to address the Mahomes deal after more quarterback contracts are completed. While Veach didn’t delve into any specifics, here’s what reasonably should be expected, based on our conversations with folks aware of the dynamics of the situation.

Expect Mahomes, before the season begins, to once again be the highest-paid player in league history.

The details will be interesting, and subject to differing interpretations. Because Mahomes has nine years left on his current contract, a new-money APY in excess of $52 million per year would be obtained simply by tacking three years and a penny more than $156 million on the back end of the existing deal.

The real question will become the value of the contract from the moment it’s signed. Also relevant to the analysis will be the full guarantee at signing, and the cash flow in the first three years of the revised deal.

In 2020, Mahomes swapped a high APY and a complicated but lucrative guarantee structure for cash flow in the years that were most likely to be affected by the pandemic. Now that those days have come and gone, the cash flow can be boosted in the early years of a revised deal.

Whether big-picture proclamations or devilish details, a new deal is coming for Mahomes, sooner than later. He has more than earned it — and with each new quarterback deal that is done, his own situation becomes more glaring. Look for that to at least be partially rectified in the coming weeks or months.

Ultimately, Mahomes is trying to strike the balance of fair compensation with leaving enough cash behind to have a team that lets him pursue championships and, ultimately, to chase Tom Brady’s all-time record of seven championships. Mahomes needs five to tie, six to win.

While not yet a real threat to Brady, Mahomes isn’t far from making things interesting. And that could be enough to get Brady interested in trying to get to No. 8 before it’s all said and done, just in case.

[Reply]
ModSocks 11:30 AM 05-09-2023
Honestly, good.

Firstly, this was always going to be the case; Mahomes getting restructured pay raises periodically through out the length of the contract. I thought that was pretty widely understood back when he signed it. It was certainly discussed.

Second, allowing the GOAT QB to fall out of the top 10 highest paid QB's is just a bad look from a PR standpoint. It makes the Chiefs look like they're taking advantage of him.

So yeah, if true, i'm glad it's happening.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:31 AM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Please fuck over Burrow’s and Herbert’s deals.
This too.
[Reply]
wazu 11:31 AM 05-09-2023
I don’t claim to have any source for this story. I just think you should “expect” this to happen because I do.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:40 AM 05-09-2023
IDC what they pay him. When the best qb is paid like the best its fine, it will still force 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 to pay more when their deal comes around starting the whole cycle over. We have CHunt on the finance committee and can see into the future as well as anyone else in the league.

Also as mentioned by franchise, a redo now would really fuck over the cash strapped bungholes and force the chargers to beat that number lol.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:58 AM 05-09-2023
Need to find a way to lower his cap hits. Other teams have found a way to pay their QB’s more money and lower cap hits than Mahomes. Void year manipulation seems to be popular around the league right now.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 12:13 PM 05-09-2023
Seems like most of the story was conjured in his head and exists nowhere else. Of course other “news” outlets will quote this directly or as a “credible source” in order to further the fiction. I know the off-season gets slow, but clickbait tripe like this should be called out. When did media members become the arbiter of determining an athlete’s salary? It’s all a falsehood that could potentially be bad for the franchise. Fuck you Florio! :-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:14 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by wazu:
I don’t claim to have any source for this story. I just think you should “expect” this to happen because I do.
He really is Nick Athan with a national press pass.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:14 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Need to find a way to lower his cap hits. Other teams have found a way to pay their QB’s more money and lower cap hits than Mahomes. Void year manipulation seems to be popular around the league right now.
I would just keep riding it out as is but up the numbers. It's the most flexible deal in all of sports.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:16 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
That guy has zero credibility with me. I'm just going to assume that he's lying.
I'm right there with you. No one in this organization is talking to him about anything, because he's a whiney little bitch. He literally just had an article whining about the contract and now he's reporting a deal will be made by the end of the off-season.

He's a full blown liar.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 12:22 PM 05-09-2023
One word, Mike. Endorsements.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:32 PM 05-09-2023
Seems odd that Florio would continue to harp on Mahomes' salary all the time. But then, there's a lot of fans that seem to make a big deal out of who gets paid the most in a given year as well, so maybe there's some issue there I'm not aware of.

Personally, if I were Mahomes I wouldn't care at all if I were the highest paid QB or not. If anyone asked me about it, I'd just ask them how many rings they have, end of discussion.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:35 PM 05-09-2023
Pat: Does this help us win? Because otherwise, I don't GAF.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:01 PM 05-09-2023
lol Florio is getting roasted on twitter
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:09 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
He deserves it. Dude has been harping on the Mahomes contract since it was signed. He's just trying to see his argument through to completion. He's being very "Skip Bayless" on this subject.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:10 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Deservedly so, even by his usual standard. It should be painfully obvious he's full of complete shit when you look at his 'solution'. Paying market price today for 3 more years of control in the mid 2030s. That's just fucking idiocy. We may very well redo the deal as a token of good will towards Mahomes, but Florio will know fuck all about it when or if that ultimately happens.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 21
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up