ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 21
« First < 71314151617 18192021 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Florio: Mahomes to be the highest paid QB in football again soon
Hammock Parties 10:30 AM 05-09-2023

Expect Patrick Mahomes to once again be the highest-paid player in football on an APY basis, before Week One. https://t.co/k2dDcjahE8

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) May 9, 2023

Originally Posted by :
When Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes signed his current 12-year contract three years ago, he nudged the bar for the highest average per year (APY) by roughly $10 million, to $45 million annually.

Now, with Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson at $52 million per year, Mahomes has fallen $7 million per year behind the highest-paid player in the sport.

Chiefs G.M. Brett Veach already has vowed to address the Mahomes deal after more quarterback contracts are completed. While Veach didn’t delve into any specifics, here’s what reasonably should be expected, based on our conversations with folks aware of the dynamics of the situation.

Expect Mahomes, before the season begins, to once again be the highest-paid player in league history.

The details will be interesting, and subject to differing interpretations. Because Mahomes has nine years left on his current contract, a new-money APY in excess of $52 million per year would be obtained simply by tacking three years and a penny more than $156 million on the back end of the existing deal.

The real question will become the value of the contract from the moment it’s signed. Also relevant to the analysis will be the full guarantee at signing, and the cash flow in the first three years of the revised deal.

In 2020, Mahomes swapped a high APY and a complicated but lucrative guarantee structure for cash flow in the years that were most likely to be affected by the pandemic. Now that those days have come and gone, the cash flow can be boosted in the early years of a revised deal.

Whether big-picture proclamations or devilish details, a new deal is coming for Mahomes, sooner than later. He has more than earned it — and with each new quarterback deal that is done, his own situation becomes more glaring. Look for that to at least be partially rectified in the coming weeks or months.

Ultimately, Mahomes is trying to strike the balance of fair compensation with leaving enough cash behind to have a team that lets him pursue championships and, ultimately, to chase Tom Brady’s all-time record of seven championships. Mahomes needs five to tie, six to win.

While not yet a real threat to Brady, Mahomes isn’t far from making things interesting. And that could be enough to get Brady interested in trying to get to No. 8 before it’s all said and done, just in case.

[Reply]
TambaBerry 06:14 AM 06-01-2023
How many times do you think Florio was stuffed in a locker by people associated with the football team in high school?
[Reply]
RedinTexas 07:43 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
How many times do you think Florio was stuffed in a locker by people associated with the football team in high school?
Not enough.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:53 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by 493rd:
I don’t like Florio, but he’s doing his job asking tough questions. If only more of the press did ��

That’s not the right way to ask tough questions and follow up.

You ask a question. And if you don’t get a truthful answer you are looking for, you ask a follow up. That’s fine.

What Florio did was badgering. You don’t talk down to the person you’re interviewing like that. It’s unprofessional and petty.
[Reply]
AussieChiefsFan 07:58 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by 493rd:
I don’t like Florio, but he’s doing his job asking tough questions. If only more of the press did ��
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

You ask a question. And if you don’t get a truthful answer you are looking for, you ask a follow up. That’s fine.

What Florio did was badgering. You don’t talk down to the person you’re interviewing like that. It’s unprofessional and petty.
Exactly. I don't watch all of his stuff but Mcfee seems to do a great job of asking tough questions and pressing his guests without being an asshole.

There's a reason personable guys like Mcfee manage to get high profile players and execs on their show in big moments like post-SB and during the draft.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:02 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
HOW DO WE KNOW CLARK HUNT ISN'T POCKETING ALL THE MONEY THAT SHOULD BE GOING TO MAHOMES????????

Oh, I don't know. I wish there were an easy way to find that out. Maybe... just maybe... possibly.... like... look at how close to the cap the Chiefs spend every year?

You know.... just a ****ing thought, Florio.
One year we had $2.87 cents in cap room and he signed Mahomes to an additional $500 million.

Most fans dont understand that before that contract could be signed that Hunt had to put $500 million into an escrow account to cover the contract, just like every other owner and contract in the NFL.
[Reply]
wazu 08:02 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

This. I do sometimes wish reporters would show some backbone, particularly in media press conferences with guys like Belichick when they are just being pricks. But this is a one-on-one interview that Roseman has no obligation to grant. Florio finally basically says there are 30 seconds left and mockingly invites him to repeat himself for a third time. What an asshole.
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:15 AM 06-01-2023
You can almost hear Florio ask the judge for permission to treat Roseman as a hostile witness
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:17 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
One year we had $2.87 cents in cap room and he signed Mahomes to an additional $500 million.

Most fans dont understand that before that contract could be signed that Hunt had to put $500 million into an escrow account to cover the contract, just like every other owner and contract in the NFL.
I thought it was just the guaranteed money had to be put into escrow
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:32 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by wazu:
This. I do sometimes wish reporters would show some backbone, particularly in media press conferences with guys like Belichick when they are just being pricks. But this is a one-on-one interview that Roseman has no obligation to grant. Florio finally basically says there are 30 seconds left and mockingly invites him to repeat himself for a third time. What an asshole.
There's having a backbone, and there's being a condescending prick. Florio skews towards the latter.

As someone who tries really hard to remind myself to be less confident in my correctness, it really stands out. Florio needs to work on himself in that area.

The stuff he's said about Mahomes in relation to his contract is just so belittling and condescending.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:35 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I thought it was just the guaranteed money had to be put into escrow
It is.

Each time one of the rolling guarantees hits, the Chiefs have to escrow that amount.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:09 AM 06-01-2023
Florio looks like a lesbian
[Reply]
RunKC 08:55 AM 07-21-2023
Florio's down bad today :-)

The Chiefs have gotten Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce to be happy with less money than they're worth. Will that work on Chris Jones? (If so, he'd already have his new contract.) https://t.co/q0V31yLGUb

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) July 21, 2023

Most fans prefer their teams' best players to be underpaid and happy/oblivious about it, because it's easier to win that way. They don't care about truly great players getting paid fairly in comparison to their peers during the handful of years they can perform at a high level.

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) July 21, 2023

[Reply]
staylor26 08:57 AM 07-21-2023
Most fans care about their team more than the players. Shocker!

Florio should seriously consider suicide.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:58 AM 07-21-2023
Florio is an idiot. :-)
[Reply]
Kiimo 09:00 AM 07-21-2023
My GOD imagine deciding your gimmick to set yourself apart is to be the whiniest bitch in the industry. He practically RADIATES small dick energy
[Reply]
Page 17 of 21
« First < 71314151617 18192021 >
Up