ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>What are next offseason's priorities?
Couch-Potato 04:23 PM 05-06-2023
I'm curious what we foresee being next offseasons priorities?

I think we might be deeper than we've ever been, currently. We've had a plethora of draft picks in the last two seasons and I'm not sure we have a single hole on the roster.

I'm assuming we extend C Jones, and have enough to pay Sneed and Gay. I suppose we'll be looking to replace Thuney and find an eventual replacement for Kelce, but we seem pretty stacked and I'm wondering if next year we have enough assets and cap space built up to take a swing at an elite weapon?

What do you guys think?
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 04:26 PM 05-06-2023
For Thuney it depends if you think Kinnard or Carvin can take his place. If not G is certainly a place to look. Keep churning the talent at WR. DT can always use bodies as well.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 04:43 PM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
For Thuney it depends if you think Kinnard or Carvin can take his place. If not G is certainly a place to look. Keep churning the talent at WR. DT can always use bodies as well.
I wonder if Morris isn't flexible enough to play both OT and OG, we'll see.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:44 PM 05-06-2023
This is really hard to project bc guys like Omenihu and Tranquill could be excellent and then we don’t know if they come back or not
[Reply]
staylor26 08:26 PM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This is really hard to project bc guys like Omenihu and Tranquill could be excellent and then we don’t know if they come back or not
Omenihu signed a 2 year deal. He'll definitely be back.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:27 PM 05-06-2023
You're probably looking at OG, S, DT.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 09:53 PM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
You're probably looking at OG, S, DT.
Agreed. I might add LB to that list based on who we resign (Bolton and Chenal are the only ones under contract for '24 currently).
[Reply]
staylor26 10:11 PM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by Kellerfox:
Agreed. I might add LB to that list based on who we resign (Bolton and Chenal are the only ones under contract for '24 currently).
Yea, LB and TE could easily be added to that list. I think they bring back one of Gay or Tranquill though.
[Reply]
Urc Burry 11:41 PM 05-06-2023
If Thuney wants to keep playing after this year he’ll be back. He might eventually have to take a pay cut. But he just had maybe his best year ever at 30. He’s going to retire here

Sneed is gone

We bring back Gay OR Trainquill depending on how the year goes

Sneed I’m 90% sure on. Gay/Tranquill like 50/50.

Veach doesn’t resign our own unless they are elite or come back for the league min. And next offseason Creed, Trey, Bolton, AND Toney (unlikely) will all be eligible for extensions
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:55 PM 05-06-2023
I don't necessarily see any huge glaring needs like a year ago when it was painfully obvious that WR, DE, and OT were all significant needs and at the very least needed bodies. It's too early to say for sure how well those needs were addressed, but at the very least there is competition there. That being said, in no particular order I see the following positions as possible needs depending on a number of factors:

CB - Depends on what happens with Sneed. If he's allowed to walk CB becomes a likely need. Won't necessarily be the top need but more depth will be needed.

LB - Depends on what happens with Tranquil and/or Gay, as well as the development of Chenal.

DT - In the unlikely event Jones is allowed to walk this easily becomes need #1 because the talent at the position is incredibly sparse after Jones. If he's signed then it falls down the list a bit.

WR - I've learned enough to not expect anything out of Rice this year. If he puts up 300 yards and 1-2 TDs that will be all you can really expect. Now, Moore and Toney have to show some significant growth this year. In the unlikely event neither one steps up and/or deal with injuries WR possibly becomes a rd 1-2 need yet again in KC, but hopefully that isn't the case. Still would be a wise move to add a WR no later than rds 3-4 nearly every year.

TE - Doubt Fortson can stay healthy, and Gray isn't an ideal #1 TE but is a good #2. Might want to finally consider looking for Kelce's eventual replacement.

DE, S, and OG don't appear as high up on the board in needs IMO but still could be considered depending on things that transpire in 2023.

Overall they should be in a good spot to hopefully stick to their board and just go BPA next year.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:56 PM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by Urc Burry:
If Thuney wants to keep playing after this year he’ll be back. He might eventually have to take a pay cut. But he just had maybe his best year ever at 30. He’s going to retire here

Sneed is gone

We bring back Gay OR Trainquill depending on how the year goes

Sneed I’m 90% sure on. Gay/Tranquill like 50/50.

Veach doesn’t resign our own unless they are elite or come back for the league min. And next offseason Creed, Trey, Bolton, AND Toney (unlikely) will all be eligible for extensions
No mention of the biggest elephant in the room, the contract extension for Chris Jones? Are we just assuming that's a given?
[Reply]
Chargem 02:08 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I'm curious what we foresee being next offseasons priorities?

I think we might be deeper than we've ever been, currently. We've had a plethora of draft picks in the last two seasons and I'm not sure we have a single hole on the roster.

I'm assuming we extend C Jones, and have enough to pay Sneed and Gay. I suppose we'll be looking to replace Thuney and find an eventual replacement for Kelce, but we seem pretty stacked and I'm wondering if next year we have enough assets and cap space built up to take a swing at an elite weapon?

What do you guys think?
So there's going to be ~45m of cap space for 2024 before you sign Chris Jones, and ~37 players on the roster after the current rookie and UDFA class are signed.

Assuming Jones gets 30m a year, with a cap hit of ~15m in his first year, there is a decent amount of money to play with.

The offense is still intact from 2023, the defense you're losing Gay and Sneed as noted by others already.

Spotrac has estimated contract values for both Gay and Sneed around the 7m a year mark. That in itself seems surprisingly affordable, but I still think they let Gay go. They may have to leave some cushion on the 2024 cap, or front load Jones deal, to make space for the future re-signings.

The other situation to watch is MVS, he would be easy to walk away from in 2024, which would free up a decent chunk of cash to go after a highly paid weapon, if the Chiefs wanted to go down that route.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:37 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Chargem:
So there's going to be ~45m of cap space for 2024 before you sign Chris Jones, and ~37 players on the roster after the current rookie and UDFA class are signed.

Assuming Jones gets 30m a year, with a cap hit of ~15m in his first year, there is a decent amount of money to play with.

The offense is still intact from 2023, the defense you're losing Gay and Sneed as noted by others already.

Spotrac has estimated contract values for both Gay and Sneed around the 7m a year mark. That in itself seems surprisingly affordable, but I still think they let Gay go. They may have to leave some cushion on the 2024 cap, or front load Jones deal, to make space for the future re-signings.

The other situation to watch is MVS, he would be easy to walk away from in 2024, which would free up a decent chunk of cash to go after a highly paid weapon, if the Chiefs wanted to go down that route.
If we have $45m in cap, and can get more if we extend CJ, then I don't see why we wouldn't pay $7m for Gay and Sneed each. You'd still have $30m to spend on, well, anything you want and there's no glaring needs.
[Reply]
Chargem 05:00 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
If we have $45m in cap, and can get more if we extend CJ, then I don't see why we wouldn't pay $7m for Gay and Sneed each. You'd still have $30m to spend on, well, anything you want and there's no glaring needs.
CJ is not on the roster in 2024, so it’s not an extension and there’s no way cap space can be higher and sign him. You can do what you want in terms of splitting his hits over whatever contract he gets, but on the size of deal he is going to get giving him a tiny, sub 10m cap hit on the first year of a deal would be short sighted.

The problem with re-signing Gay is not his contract, it’s so you want to also sign Bolton the next year and have ~20m per year invested in 4 linebackers in 2025?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:31 AM 05-07-2023
An elite safety with range would really help the defense.

Speed at WR.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up