ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 26
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>Building a new PC
TambaBerry 06:12 PM 02-28-2023
Have a 3090 currently but am severely bottlenecked. Looking to get the best possible PC that I can build through microcenter in Kansas City. Looking for high end so like 13900k and ddr5 ram.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 08:29 AM 03-03-2023
Originally Posted by Pants:
I need about $2,800 for what I want right now and my PC is waaaay overdue.

I'm still rocking an 8th gen i5 and a 2080. :-)
Don’t feel bad, I was finally able to upgrade myself rather than kids recently. Wnt from 7700 and 1060 to 5600X and 3060Ti
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 08:31 AM 03-03-2023
I've got a core i5 10400, Z490-A motherboard, 32GB ram. Don't feel like upgrading those components, but really feeling the age on my GTX 1070.

Are the 3060/3070 line "good enough"?
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:15 AM 03-03-2023
Ryzen....... ALL THE WAY
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:16 AM 03-03-2023
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
I've got a core i5 10400, Z490-A motherboard, 32GB ram. Don't feel like upgrading those components, but really feeling the age on my GTX 1070.

Are the 3060/3070 line "good enough"?
They are great but I would honestly look for bang for buck with Radeons new lines. (3060 is the king right now)
[Reply]
Fish 11:21 AM 03-03-2023
AMD dipshit has entered the chat.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:33 AM 03-03-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
AMD dipshit has entered the chat.
Yeah, there's just not much reason to go AMD for personal computing at this point. It's either Intel or somebody's ARM silicon, really.

I used to use AMD CPU's back in the day because they offered some features that Intel didn't support and it was always a fun challenge to see how much they could be overclocked. We still use AMD in data center applications but that's about it.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:45 AM 03-03-2023
Maybe not the best thread to ask this in, but fuggit.

Had a PC die on me the other day. Was working fine, no funny sounds or smells. Then it just black screened and died. No power. No beeps. Nothing.

Figured it be the power supply or CMOS battery so i swapped both. Still nothing. Forget getting it to post, i can't even get a fan to spin. It's like it's getting no power at all even after swapping the PSU and battery.

And yes, i've tried plugging into different wall outlets/power strips.

In all my years i've never seen a computer do nothing . There's usually a fan spinning, a beep, SOMETHING. So i'm a bit miffed here.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:51 AM 03-03-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Maybe not the best thread to ask this in, but fuggit.

Had a PC die on me the other day. Was working fine, no funny sounds or smells. Then it just black screened and died. No power. No beeps. Nothing.

Figured it be the power supply or CMOS battery so i swapped both. Still nothing. Forget getting it to post, i can't even get a fan to spin. It's like it's getting no power at all even after swapping the PSU and battery.

And yes, i've tried plugging into different wall outlets/power strips.

In all my years i've never seen a computer do nothing . There's usually a fan spinning, a beep, SOMETHING. So i'm a bit miffed here.
If it's literally doing nothing, you already did the most obvious thing - replace the PSU.

It's possible that something in the mobo is causing it. For one, check your standoffs and make sure the mobo is clear of the case. A short there could cause this. Also, it's possible the power connector on the mobo is the problem.

Try the new PSU with a different mobo and see if it powers on?
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:06 PM 03-03-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If it's literally doing nothing, you already did the most obvious thing - replace the PSU.

It's possible that something in the mobo is causing it. For one, check your standoffs and make sure the mobo is clear of the case. A short there could cause this. Also, it's possible the power connector on the mobo is the problem.

Try the new PSU with a different mobo and see if it powers on?
It's an older gen computer, so if it ends up being a Mobo imma just replace the thing all together. I'll check the standoffs. I actually cooked my very first PC build when i was a kid because i didn't use standoffs and screwed the board right to the case...:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:15 PM 03-03-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
It's an older gen computer, so if it ends up being a Mobo imma just replace the thing all together. I'll check the standoffs. I actually cooked my very first PC build when i was a kid because i didn't use standoffs and screwed the board right to the case...:-)
:-)
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:19 PM 03-03-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
:-)
Hit the power button, immediately smelled like cooked mobo. Me and my friend looked at each other like, "huh. Musta got a bad Mobo". I swear i returned 3 Mobo's to Fry's that day....
[Reply]
Balto 02:40 PM 03-03-2023
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Have a 3090 currently but am severely bottlenecked. Looking to get the best possible PC that I can build through microcenter in Kansas City. Looking for high end so like 13900k and ddr5 ram.
Why "bottleneck" yourself with just Microcenter? Is Newegg not the place to buy comp parts anymore like it use to be? Built several from only using Newegg. Microcenter is more expensive and limited to what they have ATM.
[Reply]
jd1020 01:02 AM 03-04-2023
Originally Posted by Balto:
Why "bottleneck" yourself with just Microcenter? Is Newegg not the place to buy comp parts anymore like it use to be? Built several from only using Newegg. Microcenter is more expensive and limited to what they have ATM.
I wouldn't do it because of the fact that you are limited to what they carry, but assuming they had everything I wanted and I lived close enough to a Microcenter, I would probably consider buying it all from them even if I spent an extra $100 or so because if anything is dead I wouldn't have to worry about return shipping and sitting on my ass for 2+ weeks for a RMA.
[Reply]
Fish 11:47 AM 03-04-2023
Microcenter is actually a great place to buy parts. Their prices are quite often better than what I can find off newegg, Amazon, etc. Their selection is huge, and outside of the Pandemic GPU Crisis, they've always had what I was looking for. I feel really fortunate to have them in town. I can spend 2hrs in there just walking around grinning like an idiot.

But seriously, it's so easy to order online, and just go in and pick up your order. If you happen to get a bad part or need another, you can have it in less than an hour.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:46 PM 03-04-2023
think im gonna order a prebuilt from ava direct unless someone else has a rec for a PC maker

they built my current rig and it's always run flawlessly
[Reply]
Page 2 of 26
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up