ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 26
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Media Center>Building a new PC
TambaBerry 06:12 PM 02-28-2023
Have a 3090 currently but am severely bottlenecked. Looking to get the best possible PC that I can build through microcenter in Kansas City. Looking for high end so like 13900k and ddr5 ram.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:56 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
IDK man, maybe im just old and not privy to modern computing tech. But fuck, i have all these computers both at home and at work that most here would consider heavily out dated toasters and they run whatever i throw at them.

I use both Premiere and Photoshop here at work with dual 26" Samsung Monitors and multiple other programs running at once such as quickbooks, excel etc and the computer never flinches.

My wife, right now, is playing Hogwarts Legacy on Medium/High settings on a computer i built a decade ago that was a freakin' $500 build back THEN.

Idk man....all of this, "i need this" and "it's not enough for what i need" just seems like nerd jargon to me.
It's some kind of 21st century dick measuring contest, it seems. Computers are like cars in the 70's. Some people just drove a station wagon because they had 4 kids, 2 dogs, and just needed to get them to the pool.

Not everybody NEEDS a souped up Mustang. In fact, nobody NEEDS a souped up Mustang, they just think they do.

:-)
[Reply]
Otter 03:02 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
Not a bad system. The RAM is ridiculously slow for DDR5 though. Depending on part brands and other specs, that's about a $2K system.
You're off by 1K according to Corsair. Almost pulled the trigger on it until it was 6pm and the sun was still up with April was around the corner.

I'll see her in November.
Attached: Capture.PNG (141.2 KB) 
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:09 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's some kind of 21st century dick measuring contest, it seems. Computers are like cars in the 70's. Some people just drove a station wagon because they had 4 kids, 2 dogs, and just needed to get them to the pool.

Not everybody NEEDS a souped up Mustang. In fact, nobody NEEDS a souped up Mustang, they just think they do.

:-)
IDK man, i just feel like, when talking to people "in the know", it would seem like my rigs are heavily outdated and i allegedly need more.

But, fuck, idk what i'm suppose to say here. These computers do everything i need with no noticeable issues. Would a newer rig render faster? I guess. But it's not like im sitting here going, "damn, this thing is really slowing me down". Seems snappy to me /shrug. I'm never sitting here waiting and going, "damn this computer just can't handle this". I'm petty much never waiting on my computers.

And i subscribe to the Adobe Cloud. So im running the latest versions of their software.

And then at home, for the past two years ive been inclined to rebuild both mine and my wife's PC's, but when she's over here playing a 2023 title at medium/high settings....?

It just seems silly to me to drop $3K redoing her and my PC's for shit people SAY i need, but in actuality don't need at all.

Maybe i'm ignant. Maybe im totally wrong and have no idea about the micro-seconds i'm missing out on, but it really, really seems to me that the cost of new tech vs the performance of old tech just does not, at all, justify the cost difference in real world application.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:15 PM 03-30-2023
But, like i said, WTF do i know. Go ahead, call me stupid. Tell me idk what im talking about, idc.

All i know is i can run Elden Ring on Medium/High on a computer that seems to be worth about $200 in today's market.

Hey, you can run Elden Ring on Ultra on your $2K rig. More power to ya. More money in my pocket though. Modern computer tech seems like a grift to me. /Shrug
[Reply]
Otter 03:24 PM 03-30-2023
But, like i said, WTF do i know. Go ahead, call me stupid. Tell me idk what im talking about, idc.
You're stupid and don't know your elbow from your asshole.

That was cathartic. Thank you Detoxing.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:31 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Otter:
You're stupid and don't know your elbow from your asshole.

That was cathartic. Thank you Detoxing.
Glad i could help.
[Reply]
Fish 04:42 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Otter:
You're off by 1K according to Corsair. Almost pulled the trigger on it until it was 6pm and the sun was still up with April was around the corner.

I'll see her in November.
Well of course, according to Corsair who is selling it to you. You could build an equivalent system for ~$2K.
[Reply]
Fish 04:55 PM 03-30-2023

All i know is i can run Elden Ring on Medium/High on a computer that seems to be worth about $200 in today's market.

Hey, you can run Elden Ring on Ultra on your $2K rig. More power to ya. More money in my pocket though. Modern computer tech seems like a grift to me. /Shrug
No PC shaming. Mostly just trolling Hammock. If you're happy with the performance, that's all that matters.

I bought my daughter a very nice gaming laptop with a 3060 in it, and showed her how to configure the graphics settings in games. She plays Minecraft windowed taking up 1/2 the screen, zero shits about quality.
[Reply]
Otter 05:06 PM 03-30-2023
Well of course, according to Corsair who is selling it to you. You could build an equivalent system for ~$2K.
To be honest I think I was more pissed off they couldn't add a penny to the price tag to make it easier on my expense tracking.
[Reply]
tredadda 06:45 PM 03-30-2023
No PC shaming. Mostly just trolling Hammock. If you're happy with the performance, that's all that matters.

I bought my daughter a very nice gaming laptop with a 3060 in it, and showed her how to configure the graphics settings in games. She plays Minecraft windowed taking up 1/2 the screen, zero shits about quality.
So I have heard that a gaming laptop is not very good in comparison to a gaming desktop. What are your thoughts on that?
[Reply]
Fish 11:04 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
So I have heard that a gaming laptop is not very good in comparison to a gaming desktop. What are your thoughts on that?
100% true. There's really no such thing as a gaming laptop. A proper gaming system needs calculated sufficient airflow and lots of voltage. Laptops are the exact opposite of that. The laptop versions of the graphics cards are purposely neutered on voltage to prevent overheating. They can run low graphics requirement games OK. But you cannot really run any graphics intensive games as they would compare on an equivalent desktop system. If you want to truly game, you need a decent desktop unit.
[Reply]
tredadda 06:59 AM 03-31-2023
100% true. There's really no such thing as a gaming laptop. A proper gaming system needs calculated sufficient airflow and lots of voltage. Laptops are the exact opposite of that. The laptop versions of the graphics cards are purposely neutered on voltage to prevent overheating. They can run low graphics requirement games OK. But you cannot really run any graphics intensive games as they would compare on an equivalent desktop system. If you want to truly game, you need a decent desktop unit.
I appreciate that very good write up. Thank you. I will probably eventually build one or get one built.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:05 AM 03-31-2023
looking at cases - need 2 side mounts for SSDs and mesh front

thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...47ZXRB66&psc=1
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:12 AM 03-31-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
looking at cases - need 2 side mounts for SSDs and mesh front

thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...47ZXRB66&psc=1
Neon RGB lights on computer cases are for children.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:17 AM 03-31-2023
Neon RGB lights on computer cases are for children.
i can take it or leave it, so if you're going to make a case recommendation, that's not a requirement
[Reply]
Page 10 of 26
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up