Megatron96 05:06 PM 05-15-2023
Recently voted "Best Western ever"

can't disagree.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:14 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Recently voted "Best Western ever"

can't disagree.

I can think of several I'd have in the mix. I don't know how I'd finally come down on it, I'd have a very hard time putting anything above The Searchers. but this is absolutely a great movie.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:36 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
I can think of several I'd have in the mix. I don't know how I'd finally come down on it, I'd have a very hard time putting anything above The Searchers. but this is absolutely a great movie.
Yeah, like you, I have a few I could name, but I can't actually say definitively that any are better than TGTBATU. It's a great, great movie.

The Searchers is another great movie.

You know, what I can say with complete conviction is that The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the greatest spaghetti Western of all time.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:28 PM 05-21-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yeah, like you, I have a few I could name, but I can't actually say definitively that any are better than TGTBATU. It's a great, great movie.

The Searchers is another great movie.

You know, what I can say with complete conviction is that The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the greatest spaghetti Western of all time.
I couldn't pick that particular movie of the trilogy as the best. I'd be willing to go along with the whole trilogy being the best series of Westerns.
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 07:42 PM 05-21-2023
Yeah, the Searchers, the Clint triology - and my personal fave, The Wild Bunch. I was working in a theater when Wild Bunch came out, so I watched it 6 nights in a row. That kind of changed me.
[Reply]
srvy 09:49 PM 05-21-2023
Man I don't know so many good ones Big Jake, The man who shot Libert Vallence, High Noon, Magnificent 7, Stagecoach, Rio Bravo, Red River and Winchester 73.

In the end, I think its Unforgiven.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:16 PM 05-22-2023
As big of a John Wayne fan as you’ll find, the only way I would rate The Searchers 1 instead of 2 is if you disqualify Lonesome Dove due to it being a miniseries. Seeing how there are no real rules here other than what individually choose to apply, it’s LD in the 1 spot, The Searchers number 2 and probably Unforgiven rounding out the top 3.

And as a yuge Duke fan, The Searchers is his best performance but, not my favorite of his movies - that would be The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

As to the OP, I have always loved TGTBATU. And the score is absolute perfection.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 09:55 PM 05-22-2023
ILL GET YOU YOU SON OF A .....AYE YEEEE AYEEEEEEE WAAAA waaaaa waaa
[Reply]
srvy 10:24 PM 05-22-2023
Originally Posted by Raiderhater:
As big of a John Wayne fan as you’ll find, the only way I would rate The Searchers 1 instead of 2 is if you disqualify Lonesome Dove due to it being a miniseries. Seeing how there are no real rules here other than what individually choose to apply, it’s LD in the 1 spot, The Searchers number 2 and probably Unforgiven rounding out the top 3.

And as a yuge Duke fan, The Searchers is his best performance but, not my favorite of his movies - that would be The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

As to the OP, I have always loved TGTBATU. And the score is absolute perfection.
Oh yep, Lonesome Dove was Epich but wasn't released into theaters made for TV mini series. But it's one of the best for sure. I love the Searchers but Big Jake will always be my favorite from the Duke.
[Reply]
srvy 10:28 PM 05-22-2023
I too am a huge John Wayne fan but for me, It's Big Jake, Rio Bravo then The Searchers as my top three in order.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 05:27 AM 05-23-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
I too am a huge John Wayne fan but for me, It's Big Jake, Rio Bravo then The Searchers as my top three in order.
Big Jake is up there for me as well. So many great lines and moments.

Outside of the 1 spot my favorite Wayne films gets a little fluid, depending on what I’m in the mood for. The next four are going to include The Shootist, The Searchers, Big Jake and El Dorado. And that is this morning. This afternoon could be a slightly different list.

A note on El Dorado: having not grown up when the movies were made I haven’t exactly seen them in release order. So while El Dorado (and Rio Lobo) were basically remakes of the fabulous Rio Bravo, I didn’t see RB until after I had originally seen (by probably a dozen times or more) El Dorado (and RL). And it is great and witty in its own right, so I tend to rank it over RB most of the time for that reason.
[Reply]
listopencil 10:21 AM 05-23-2023
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan:
Yeah, the Searchers, the Clint triology - and my personal fave, The Wild Bunch. I was working in a theater when Wild Bunch came out, so I watched it 6 nights in a row. That kind of changed me.
Clint Eastwood has a bunch of really, really good Westerns and a few that are arguably the best of the genre. I consider him to be the best, over John Wayne.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up