ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Media Center>Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
TwistedChief 07:29 PM 12-20-2018
I'll admit that I don't think CP is a place that would normally appreciate a show like this that's based on 1950s/1960s Jews in NYC. But - it's on Amazon Prime and the second season was just released, and it's the most brilliantly written show I've ever encountered wherever you come from. Smart, funny, EVERYTHING. Incredible casting.

My top five all time that this is trying to break into (as perspective):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror

If this gets one of you gentiles to consider watching, I'll say it's a success.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 11:37 AM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
It's baaaaaack.

Two episodes at a time.

The ferris wheel scene from episode one is great.

Show is brilliant.
Watched both new episodes last night.

The writing, acting, and dialogue on this show is second to none.

Agree with Twisted Chief's assertion of brilliance.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 11:42 AM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
But you skipped over the entire part of Abe ending an episode basically having a nervous breakdown for how rediculous the situation is and then magically the next episode he loves everything, learns French, loves the dog, and generally completely changes his uptight, rigid lifestyle out of the blue. Then they come back and he’s basically the same rigid guy as before except he does find rose the job at the university. And that’s just one major thing. How about the entire “insulting the other comic” plot Line? She gets blacklisted, apparently, except she doesn’t but for like 10 minutes of show time, then the comedian hates her so much she sends two guys out to either rough up or kill her manager, except they don’t and they warn her to stop doing acts. The manager ignores it and nothing ever comes of it. It’s not even talked about. Oh and then they run in to the guys sent to hurt her weeks(?) later and the other comedian does nothing but...sets her time slot back. Wow. From blacklisting and kidnapping/ possible assault/murder to knocking her timeslot back AND hiring the manager she was apparently fine with killing a little bit ago. Where did the booking manager who blacklisted her go? Who knows. There’s main points like that and then smaller ones where scenes happen and are never mentioned again. Remember when Abe and the ex-husbands dad split the condo and then it was never talked about again? Like I said, it didn’t stop me from enjoying the show, but this kind of stuff does happen quite a bit.
So, there's some context you're missing :

1. Abe went to Paris to get his wife back. He was pretending to have fun in Paris, he looked at it as an extended vacation...until his wife started talking about buying that apartment, and old Abe came right back. Immediately.

Context.

2. The guys Sophie's manager sent to rough Susie up were from her old neighborhood, Susie and those guys sat on the train and connected...Midge was still blacklisted, Susie's boss at the Gaslight came to tell her that Midge couldn't even use the bathroom...and that's why they pulled their favor with having Midge open for Lenny Bruce, the KING of blacklisted comics.

Like, there's a LOT of subtlety inherent in this show, part of what makes it so great. Body language, facial expressions, implications are all part of it. If you're staring at your phone while listening, you'll miss chunks.
[Reply]
alicestevens 02-20-2022, 01:14 PM
This message has been deleted by Bearcat.
Zebedee DuBois 12:00 PM 02-23-2022
Midge and Joel will eventually get back together. Who can't see that coming?
[Reply]
Graystoke 12:11 PM 02-23-2022
My wife adores this show just because of the wardrobes.
Midges budget for clothes must be insane.
I like it for Abe and that's it. Most of the time its over the top for my taste.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02-26-2022, 08:10 PM
This message has been deleted by Baby Lee.
rabblerouser 07:20 PM 03-04-2022
New episodes tonight!
[Reply]
A8bil 07:29 PM 03-04-2022
Brosnahan has Robin Williams-level freneticism at times. She's pretty impressive in her role.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:16 AM 03-09-2022
This show fell apart for me halfway through season 2; stopped watching it.

But man, Rachel Brosnahan is quite hot and has a sneaky great rack.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:49 AM 03-09-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Those skirts they put her in that show how petite her waist is should be against the Geneva Conventions for torture.

And I enjoy it for what it is without expecting it to be anything else, banter, sets, pacing and wit. That's ASP's signature and she's great at it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:59 PM 03-09-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Yeah. Shit got kind of off the rails in Paris. But whatever. My expectations are low. I was super surprised by season 1. 2 was meh. I’ll watch 3 and hope it recatches the magic. If not, whatever. I’m good just watching the eye candy and chuckling at a few moments.

But yeah. Brosnahan is fantastic. Just, out of nowhere smokeshow.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:06 PM 03-09-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Those skirts they put her in that show how petite her waist is should be against the Geneva Conventions for torture.

And I enjoy it for what it is without expecting it to be anything else, banter, sets, pacing and wit. That's ASP's signature and she's great at it.
:-). Well said.

And that’s a reasonable expectation and probably about where I sit too.

However in season 1, there were some really compelling moments. I was really surprised. The pull yourself up by the bootstraps business was much better than I expected. Same with the Lenny Bruce stuff. I was really surprised if the impact with those scenes.

Moreover some of the sets were funny. Funnier than I expected.

Anyway, S1 kinda blew me away.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 04:32 AM 03-12-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah. Shit got kind of off the rails in Paris.
I loved it, great insight into Abe and Rose.

I'm Abe Weismann. Happy deluding myself in Paris...until she starts talking about buying the apartment.

Of course, Abe quit his job etc., so he should've just listened to her.

I am Abe Weissman.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:02 AM 03-12-2022
I actually loved all of this until this season. EP 1 was pretty good, then it frankly started to SUCK...then the last 3 episodes got good again. Wife and I finished it last night. I liked the way it ended, but this season as a whole was probably the worst. The ending saved it though. They have some pretty contrived crap going on, but it feels like it's going to head in the right direction after wandering aimlessly for the better part of this season.

I'll keep watching. And yeah, that waste line...oy...
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:41 AM 03-12-2022
Are you not familiar with our bicameral system of legislature?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:35 PM 03-23-2022
Just watched it. I waited until I could binge because hell if I'm going to wait week to week.

They did it again. I was compelled. Normally silly shit like
Spoiler!

would take me out of it, but I was still staying up too late and watching it.

The banter was as good as it ever was. There was a LOT of really funny dialogue. Just really well done. Camera work and blocking remains excellent. And of course costumes and props were excellent. The dialogue stands on it's own but all the little small worldbuilding details really help smooth the silly shit that normally takes me out of it.

Of course, when it got down to it, there was some really compelling moments.

Joel was infallable. Every scene he was in jumped off the screen and his performance said so much that had nothing to do with the words he was saying. Great performance.

Midge was her standard awesome performance that floats the thing.

The 2 mafia guys were really funny. Especially after they investigate May LOL. Hopefully they stick around more.

When
Spoiler!

was damned compelling television, format be damned. That was a fucking scene.

Lenny Bruce stole the show. He was great in every scene he was in. The last one though is for the ages. Every word out of his mouth was straight compelling even if
Spoiler!

They continue to keep me engaged despite this not being my type of show.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:09 PM 03-24-2022
Lenny Bruce died of a heroin overdose in Los Angeles in 1966. His career spiraled out of control the last five years of his life from drug abuse. Sad.

The lead chick is pretty hot. Her black corset was...um....inspiring.

I've had a hankerin' for bagels all week... hmmm...
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up