ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 361
« First < 51112131415 161718192565115 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 11:57 AM 12-22-2015

[Reply]
DaFace 12:02 PM 12-22-2015
ORBCOMM-2 by SpaceX Photos, on Flickr

[Reply]
Donger 12:12 PM 12-22-2015
I'd like to learn more about how the first stage does a veritable about face. I presume that staging happens around 60 miles or so, and probably a few thousand MPH?
[Reply]
DaFace 12:24 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'd like to learn more about how the first stage does a veritable about face. I presume that staging happens around 60 miles or so, and probably a few thousand MPH?
This graphic gives you the basic gist at least:

As for the speeds, some geek on the SpaceX subreddit crunched all sorts of numbers from the launch...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2057127134

According to the video, boostback started at 3:50 (230 seconds), so that would put it around 98km (58 miles) out and at about 1600m/s (3600 mph).
[Reply]
Donger 12:30 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by DaFace:
This graphic gives you the basic gist at least:

As for the speeds, some geek on the SpaceX subreddit crunched all sorts of numbers from the launch...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2057127134

According to the video, boostback started at 3:50 (230 seconds), so that would put it around 22km (14 miles) out and at about 1600m/s (3600 mph).
That's pretty fucking amazing, really, thanks. And now I understand the logic behind the sea-based landings, which I hadn't before.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:41 PM 12-22-2015
That's pretty fucking amazing, really, thanks. And now I understand the logic behind the sea-based landings, which I hadn't before.
I just realized that I read the wrong column - the downrange distance would have been more like 111 km (69 miles) - I had read altitude instead. Fixed in my above post.

EDIT: And now the guy has revised his estimates and shows 94 km (58 miles). I give up updating after this though. :-)
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 05:34 PM 12-22-2015
i rather worry about making a propulsion system to get to mars. I want the u.s.a to be first on mars!
[Reply]
DaFace 05:41 PM 12-22-2015
Well, since the thread is bumped anyway, I'll just keep posting shit. :-)

[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:44 PM 12-22-2015
I don't think anyone really knows. Musk did indicate on a call last night, though, that he doesn't think this one will ever fly again. I don't know what kind of museum can hold a 14-story rocket, but he seemed to think that's where it ultimately belongs.

That said, I bet that they at least fill it back up at some point and static fire it just to see what happens.
Agree, in 15 short minutes that puppy was stressed a bit..
[Reply]
Donger 05:46 PM 12-22-2015
I just realized that I read the wrong column - the downrange distance would have been more like 111 km (69 miles) - I had read altitude instead. Fixed in my above post.

EDIT: And now the guy has revised his estimates and shows 94 km (58 miles). I give up updating after this though. :-)
Yeah, like I said, I see now why they tried the barge idea. Dragon could basically just drop straight down after the flip instead of going back to land. Not very efficient.
[Reply]
Donger 05:47 PM 12-22-2015

Ouch... :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 05:51 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Agree, in 15 short minutes that puppy was stressed a bit..
One good point that I read today is that this landing could be huge for reliability in addition to reusability. With the exception of the shuttle, we've never been able to open up a flown spacecraft and figure out what points were weakened before. They should be able to look for the weak points and make them stronger, both to boost reusability, but also to make them stronger in the first place.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:52 PM 12-22-2015
Yeah, like I said, I see now why they tried the barge idea. Dragon could basically just drop straight down after the flip instead of going back to land. Not very efficient.
Yep. If I'm understanding it correctly, the barge may still come out quite a bit for launches that require a little more oomph (and, thus, leave less fuel for landing). This one was only able to make it back because those satellites were pretty small in comparison to some other launches, and they were only going to LEO.

Hopefully they'll be able to stick the barge landings too next time.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:54 PM 12-22-2015

I suspect that pic was in his Sig block when he replied to the Blue Origin with a simple, "Thanks" (in response to their "Welcome to the club" tweet).
[Reply]
DaFace 05:54 PM 12-22-2015
Ouch... :-)
Don't get me wrong, what BO accomplished was fantastic and should be commended. Hopefully they'll be able to actually launch to orbit and land someday as well. It's just silly to pretend like what they accomplished was even in the same ballpark in terms of difficulty.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 361
« First < 51112131415 161718192565115 > Last »
Up