ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 23
« First < 71314151617 18192021 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Thoughts the day after
TwistedChief 04:32 AM 09-20-2021
Went to bed embarrassed and mad. Woke up fine.

We've lost so infrequently over the past couple years that I think we've forgotten how to do it. And how to cope with it as fans.

That defensive performance was about as pathetic as I can ever remember. Literally no saving grace on that front. And that's concerning. But we can acknowledge that these two matchups were particularly bad for this team and we've seen Spags' defenses look lost in the past only to make adjustments and find a way to improve to semi-respectable.

The reality is we played a NUMBER of close games like this last year and each and every time the ball bounced our way. Now, a lot of that is because we have Mahomes who has papered over endless deficiencies for the last few years, but even as a recently as last week, if Chubb doesn't fumble, do we win that game? What is the narrative like then?

Clyde looks bad. Like, even below the status of a normal JAG running back. But I don't think you can fault Andy for running the ball in that situation. It's not like the guy has a LeSean McCoy recent history of fumbling for you (or at all). It happened. It sucks.

Anyway, guys, this is no different from prior seasons. We can beat any team. We have Mahomes and 99% of the time Clyde isn't fumbling there, Butker kicks a FG, we end up winning the game, and we're all doing cartwheels and looking forward to the Chargers. It didn't happen here, but that doesn't make us materially worse as a football team.

This team ex-Mahomes has been soft. Hopefully this toughens us up. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:07 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
We also thought the Chiefs were Super Bowl contenders after beating the Patriots to open 2017.
Yep, let 'em have their day as Champions of September.

What are the chances they pull a Raiders and lose to the Lions next week?
[Reply]
Bowser 04:42 PM 09-20-2021
This game is a carbon copy of the loss to the Titans in Nashville in 2019. We had no business losing that game either, but we somehow found a way to yank defeat from the jaws of victory back then. Same with last night - a lot of goofy shit happened that this team doesn't usually allow to happen. Hopefully they come back as strong from last night's loss as they did after that Titans loss in '19.

And really, every single team every single year loses a game or two it has no business losing. Our loss just came early in the season.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 04:47 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
This game is a carbon copy of the loss to the Titans in Nashville in 2019. We had no business losing that game either, but we somehow found a way to yank defeat from the jaws of victory back then. Same with last night - a lot of goofy shit happened that this team doesn't usually allow to happen. Hopefully they come back as strong from last night's loss as they did after that Titans loss in '19.

And really, every single team every single year loses a game or two it has no business losing. Our loss just came early in the season.
Yep and very similar to several wins last year where Patrick saved us.

Andy not keeping his foot on our opponent's throat has nearly cost us so many times.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 04:58 PM 09-20-2021
If there’s one thing pisses us longtime Chiefs fans off it’s going to a conservative offense when there’s a chance to put the game away. That handoff was the worst call to make at that time. If you’re going to run the ball get creative but don’t run that dogshit play. If we find a way to way to get into the end zone, Lamar has no choice but to abandon his gimmick offense and try to throw the ball downfield.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 05:10 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
If there’s one thing pisses us longtime Chiefs fans off it’s going to a conservative offense when there’s a chance to put the game away. That handoff was the worst call to make at that time. If you’re going to run the ball get creative but don’t run that dogshit play. If we find a way to way to get into the end zone, Lamar has no choice but to abandon his gimmick offense and try to throw the ball downfield.
Exactly.

The "We can't leave Baltimore too much time" narrative is complete and utter nonsense.

We weren't taking endzone shots there. But at the time of the fumble there was like 1:30 left in the game and Baltimore had one timeout.

Assuming we score a touchdown with like 45 seconds to go. Baltimore very likely has zero timeouts and has to go the length of the field solely by throwing the football AND has to score a touchdown to win the game.

Why were playing for the field goal and worrying about the clock at all there made no sense. Just go score and trust Lamar won't beat you all the way down the field through the air with 40 seconds to go and no timeouts.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:14 PM 09-20-2021
If we absolutely were committed to not getting a TD and burning clock we still could have played the same and just fell down at the five yard line if we were unfortunate enough to get another easy completion.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:17 PM 09-20-2021
Forget the fg. Just get tds because the defense sucks. They can't be trusted so no reason to run the clock down running the ball. Take it back 2018. TDs only.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:20 PM 09-20-2021
Jesus fucking Christ it's already established we passed every single play before that on the drive. Running the ball on a 2nd and 3, while you're already in FG range, and to force a TO is a perfectly acceptable play call. It's not like CEH is LeSean McCoy with an aptitude for fumbling. He'd done it ONCE before. In college.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:24 PM 09-20-2021
Iirc, it was 2nd-and-3 on the BAL 32 with about 1:40 left, BAL had one TO left.

Why are idiots saying that running the ball there was such a terrible call?

And I probably would've called a run to OBJ/Thuney's side, considering their reps and experience, not only as run-blockers but also as vets with real in-game experience in that exact kind of situation. Better that than trust my all-rookie right side with exactly 6 games NFL experience between them.

The whole point of that play was to force BAL to burn their last TO (I'm projecting here, but it seems the most likely conclusion). And I don't want to see some gadget play there; it's completely unnecessary. Just run it up the A/B gap and don't lose yards. We just got unlucky in that Thuney (or someone) completely missed blocking Oweh, and he made a great play knocking the ball loose.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on that call.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling," brought to you by your long-time sponsors "Week 2 CP panic-bois."
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:26 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Jesus fucking Christ it's already established we passed every single play before that on the drive. Running the ball on a 2nd and 3, while you're already in FG range, and to force a TO is a perfectly acceptable play call. It's not like CEH is LeSean McCoy with an aptitude for fumbling. He'd done it ONCE before. In college.
The top-5 HOF RBs all possess higher fumble rates than Shady. Just FYI.
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:28 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Iirc, it was 2nd-and-3 on the BAL 32 with about 1:40 left, BAL had one TO left.

Why are idiots saying that running the ball there was such a terrible call?

And I probably would've called a run to OBJ/Thuney's side, considering their reps and experience, not only as run-blockers but also as vets with real in-game experience in that exact kind of situation. Better that than trust my all-rookie right side with exactly 6 games NFL experience between them.

The whole point of that play was to force BAL to burn their last TO (I'm projecting here, but it seems the most likely conclusion). And I don't want to see some gadget play there; it's completely unnecessary. Just run it up the A/B gap and don't lose yards. We just got unlucky in that Thuney (or someone) completely missed blocking Oweh, and he made a great play knocking the ball loose.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on that call.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling," brought to you by your long-time sponsors "Week 2 CP panic-bois."
I explained this already this morning over the course of like 5+ posts.

Forget it. People just want to express their anger, no matter how misguided it may be.

It's over reaction Monday, par for the course.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:29 PM 09-20-2021
The defense of running the ball there is essentially we are fine not gaining yards as long as they use a timeout. That play and outcome increases the Ravens chances even without a negative play.

So if we all agree it was unlikely they get anything on the running play then we must also agree they have to complete a third down pass. If they have a third down play they like, it would have been irrelevant if second down was an incompletion. We still run the clock out just the same but instead have an easier field goal.

The ONLY way running there makes sense is if you don’t plan on getting a first down on that series.
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:36 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
The defense of running the ball there is essentially we are fine not gaining yards as long as they use a timeout. That play and outcome increases the Ravens chances even without a negative play.

So if we all agree it was unlikely they get anything on the running play then we must also agree they have to complete a third down pass. If they have a third down play they like, it would have been irrelevant if second down was an incompletion. We still run the clock out just the same but instead have an easier field goal.

The ONLY way running there makes sense is if you don’t plan on getting a first down on that series.
No, we don't all agree that it was unlikely to gain net yards.

Had CEH held the ball, the Ravens would be forced to use a T.O. Running to burn that T.O off is less risky than passing, as you have the risk of an incompletion or a sack. If Mahomes throws incomplete on 2nd down, we now MUST convert the 3rd down or risk giving the ball back with well over a minute after kicking the FG.

If CEH fails to pick up the 1st, that's fine, we still have another down to attempt it, but we've at least burned a T.O thus guaranteeing that we can wind the clock down another 45 seconds before kicking the FG in the event we fail on 3rd down.

I can't believe this is even a debate.

Honestly, if ya'll can't figure this one out then you have no right at all to critique Reid's playcalling.

Running there was the absolute no brainer in that situation and IN NO WAY did it signify "conservative" or that they were playing for a FG.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:39 PM 09-20-2021
Ravens were in nickel playing press. It's not like they were stacking the box.
[Reply]
TLO 05:41 PM 09-20-2021
There was nothing wrong with the play call.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 23
« First < 71314151617 18192021 > Last »
Up