ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>First Round Mock 3.0 (3/25/21)
kccrow 04:41 AM 03-25-2021
1. Jacksonville Jaguars - QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
The Jaguars need a long-term solution at the game's most important position. This is, essentially, a no-brainer... or is it? There are certainly some who think Zach Wilson is the best QB in this class, and I'd wholeheartedly agree it's highly probable. That said, Lawrence seems to be a safer pick and for a franchise that has flirted with mediocrity for far too long, safe is probably their best option.

2. New York Jets - QB Zach Wilson, BYU
There is some thought the Jets may stick with Sam Darnold at QB but I have my doubts. GM Joe Douglas has been non-committal and didn't bring Darnold in. While Mike LaFleur's offense is tailor-made for Darnold, Darnold simply isn't good enough. If anything, Saleh and LaFleur saw first-hand what not good enough gets you in the NFL at the QB position with a very similar player in Jimmy Garoppolo. They go QB and trade Darnold for a 3rd round pick.

3. Carolina Panthers (f/MIA) - QB Justin Fields, Ohio State
CAR trades 1-8, 3-225, 2022 1st & 3rd to MIA for 1-3
Unless the Dolphins are staring Zach Wilson in the face at #3, I don't see them moving on from Tua. I think they have to see a prospect that offers less development and more of an NFL arm, and only Wilson and Lawrence bring that in my opinion. So, if they don't see that, I think they look to load up weapons around Tua, gain more picks, or both. I actually see them trading out of this spot with the Carolina Panthers, who are desperate for a franchise identity. Matt Rhule and company get the athletic QB they desire and who flashes greatness at times with his arm but needs to be coached up in all aspects of the passing game.

4. Atlanta Falcons - LB Micah Parsons, Penn State
I don't think anyone being honest with themselves thinks Atlanta is going to sit here and pick a QB. Matt Ryan has a solid couple of seasons left and the Falcons simply have too many holes on the team. The best situation is probably moving back and picking up some draft capital. That said, teams may not be so anxious to move up for the 4th best QB at this point. Meanwhile, the Falcons have holes all over the defense and brought in a former linebackers coach and defensive guru in Dean Pees to steer that ship. He'll see the multi-functional value in Parsons who can lay the wood, cover, fill downhill against the run, and blitz with a vengeance. The kid screams playmaker, which is exactly what Atlanta needs.

5. Cincinnati Bengals - TE Kyle Pitts, Florida
Many have Sewell pegged to the Bengals but that isn't happening. The Bengals like Jonah Williams and made it no clearer than signing career LT Riley Reiff and telling him he's going to play RT for them. Meanwhile, Brian Callahan loves TEs, especially running 12-personnel. There is no better fit in this draft for Pitts than in Cincinnati, giving them another playmaker for Joe Burrow to sling the rock to.

6. Philadelphia Eagles - LT Penei Sewell, Oregon
The Eagles can't have 100% trust in rolling with either option of Andre Dillard or Jordan Mailata at LT and the OL has been an issue at times. I see the Eagles drafting Sewell at LT, kicking Dillard inside or trading him, and keeping Mailata as a swing tackle. This is also a forward-looking pick. When Kelce hangs it up, the heir is likely LG Isaac Suemalo. Moving Dillard in at LG makes a ton of sense at that point. With no guarantees about Brooks or Johnson at the start of 2021, there could be playing time available for both Dillard and Mailata. The Eagles definitely could stand to add another premier weapon for Hurts, but they need to stabilize what's happening in front of him first. They are in a prime position to still get a solid WR in early round 2.

7. Detroit Lions - WR JaMarr Chase, LSU
The loss of Kenny Golladay is huge for the Lions and Tyrell Williams and Breshad Perriman aren't going to replace him adequately. At this point, I definitely see the Lions trying to get another weapon in the arsenal for Jared Goff and focusing on the defense later. Chase is the premier receiver in this draft and could bring even more explosiveness than Golladay did.

8. Miami Dolphins (f/CAR) - WR DaVonta Smith, Alabama
I don't think the Dolphins can do much damage to themselves in a trade down from 3, so long as they stay in the top 8 picks where they can still get a top-end weapon for Tua. While they'll more than likely lose out on Chase, they can still get one of the Alabama receivers here. I have them choosing DaVonta Smith, who is insanely talented but a tad undersized. If they put Parker at the X, Smith at the Z, and play Fuller from the slot, they could have a really exciting trio.

9. Denver Broncos - LB Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah, Notre Dame
It's been some time since the Broncos had rangy LBs that could make plays for them, and when they did they were a top-10 defense that reached the Super Bowl. Granted, they still have Drew Lock which could be a problem, but all indications are they like the growth in 2020 and want to see what this year brings. In any event, JOK is an athletic phenomenon at the position that can make plays all over the field and gives them a guy that has the pedigree to match up with Travis Kelce and Darren Waller in the division.

10. Dallas Cowboys - CB Patrick Surtain II, Alabama
It will definitely be interesting to see what the Cowboys do here. Could they take an enormous chance on a guy like Christian Barmore to shore up their defensive line despite him never being a full-time starter but showing insane traits and productivity? I certainly think it's in the realm of possibility, but maybe they continue their trend of 2nd day picks there. That said, they definitely need some help across from Trevon Diggs at the CB spot and I could see the position as an easy sell based on value and need. Bring in another big 'Bama CB in Patrick Surtain II to provide them with a lot of length and athleticism on the outside.

11. New York Giants - OT (RG) Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
After going shopping for weapons for Daniel Jones in free agency with the additions of WRs Kenny Golladay and John Ross to go with a good #2 guy in Darius Slayton, it's pretty clear that steps A, B, and C in this draft for the Giants need to be focused on fixing their atrocious interior offensive line. Slater is a guy, that while he projects well enough as an NFL LT, would make an All-Pro guard or center, precisely where the Giants need help. Gettleman has always been an O-line guy, and after securing LT last year in Andrew Thomas, he probably does it again, and again in 2021.

12. San Francisco 49ers - QB Trey Lance, North Dakota State
The 49ers remain patient in their search for a QB and I don't believe some team will come screaming up in front of them for Trey Lance. Lance is a guy that probably needs to go to a team with an established veteran and sit and learn for a year or maybe two. He comes with a great skill set, but little experience.

13. Los Angeles Chargers - LT Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
The Chargers don't have a legitimate plan for a starter at this point, like several teams heading into the draft. They could make a play to move up for Sewell, but I think the last time a team traded into the top 10 for a tackle may have been 20 years ago when Washington traded up for Chris Samuels.

14. Minnesota Vikings - ER Kwity Paye, Michigan
I have some faith the Vikings will figure out their LT issue with either Ezra Cleveland or Brian O'Neill moving over to that spot. What happens on the interior or at RT will be something for the rest of the draft. Meanwhile, the Vikings have been notoriously good on the defensive front for what seems like forever, but have taken a pounding in free agency the past couple of seasons. They need to replenish their once-proud unit and have them kick-starting that with an edge rusher to play opposite Danielle Hunter. Paye is a big man with a lot of athleticism that was asked to do quite a bit at Michigan, which didn't always afford him the best opportunities to rack up sacks. That said, he should be able to become more refined and stay on the edge in the NFL and be much more productive at getting after the QB.

15. New England Patriots - QB Mac Jones, Alabama
The Patriots have to do something at the QB position as Cam Newton is definitely not the answer. Jones seems to be hand-made for Bill Belichek in that he's smart, accurate, and takes care of the football. Jones doesn't look like the greatest QB ever created when you look at his frumpy body but he's a good player and can make all of the NFL throws.

16. Arizona Cardinals - CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech
The Cardinals definitely have some work to do on the defensive side of the ball and that should start with replacing Patrick Peterson. Byron Murphy hasn't yet shown he's capable of being a lock-down guy but he's solid as a #2. I have them going with Caleb Farley, who I personally feel is the best at the position when all is said and done.

17. Las Vegas Raiders - LT (OG) Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC
The Raiders have made it a priority this offseason to completely revamp their offensive line and it looks like they want to become much more athletic. Bring in Vera-Tucker who can slide down into either guard slot, where he's better suited in the NFL, and provide them with a movement guy.

18. Miami Dolphins - ER Azeez Ojulari, Georgia
The Dolphins invested heavily in the offensive line last year and I think they are pretty happy with Jackson and Hunt at the tackle spots, although they could look to kick Hunt down inside and get themselves an RT. That said, I think they'll look to beef up the interior lines in round 2 and instead add more juice to the defense on day 1. Ojulari can provide them a twitched up, speed rusher they sorely lack defensively in their 3-4 alignment.

19. Washington Football Team - WR Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
The Redskins seem to be trying to build an offense for whatever QB they can finally wrap up for the future and a big part of that is analytics and match-ups, which is why they spent some money to go out and get Curtis Samuel to pair with Terry McLaurin. That said, they could create matchup nightmares by adding Waddle to the fold, giving them 3 receivers that can not only create after the catch, but all would have 4.3 speed. At that point, all they need is a QB capable of executing short and intermediate passes with regularity and letting their receivers do the work.

20. Chicago Bears - CB Jaycee Horn, South Carolina
The Bears released Kyle Fuller and then signed 30-year-old Desmond Trufant to a 1-year deal. They should be looking for a long-term replacement at CB and will likely pull the trigger if they can't land a QB and a good one like Horn falls. Horn has insane man-coverage skills and an NFL bloodline and should become an early star in the NFL.

21. Indianapolis Colts - LT Samuel Cosmi, Texas
The retirement of Anthony Castonzo left a huge hole for the Colts on the line. They picked up Sam Tevi, who is anything but good, as a placeholder in case whatever rookie they draft struggles to be ready day 1. Cosmi is an athletic player much like Castonzo but may need some seasoning before he can be counted on as an every-down starter.

22. Tennessee Titans - RT Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State
The Titans always seem to put a huge priority on the offensive line, and especially at both tackle spots. With Isaiah Wilson being a huge bust, they signed swing tackle Kendall Lamm as insurance but he's hardly a solution long-term or even for a full season. Jenkens is powerful and has enough athleticism to possibly cover at left tackle but best fits remaining on the right side.

23. New York Jets (f/SEA) - CB Greg Newsome II, Northwestern
The most critical position for the Jets after getting a QB that can actually win games is to get corners that can actually cover. Newsome is an outstanding zone and man cover corner with great length, technique, and feet to go with solid ball skills and the willingness to get physical.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - LT Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
The Steelers love big, long, road-grader left tackles that can exert their will in the run game while making it just difficult enough on edge rusher that they can't get home unless they have some insane speed and bend off the edge. Leatherwood provides every bit of that and is an A+ fit for them.

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (f/LAR) - FS Trevon Moehrig, TCU
Rayshawn Jenkins was a great get for the Jaguars at strong safety and so was Shaq Griffin at CB, but they really need a big-time playmaker on the back end. Moerhig is a versatile safety that can line up anywhere they want, but he is at his best as a single-high playmaker. One thing about Urban Meyer is he likes great secondaries and will be sure to have that unit up to snuff.

26. Cleveland Browns - ER Gregory Rousseau, Miami
The Browns are a really solid football team without many glaring holes (never thought I'd write that) but one big missing piece is at DE across from Myles Garrett. The Browns signed Takk McKinley, but he's never amounted to much and would be best suited as a situational/reserve player or stop-gap while a rookie gets ready. I'm not as high on this pass rusher class as I first thought I might be, but Rousseau is definitely one of the top edge players in this. The only issue is he comes with one good season of production and a year of rust.

27. Baltimore Ravens - ER Jayson Oweh, Penn State
The Ravens lost most of their pass rush with Judon and Ngakoue leaving town. They need to rebuild their front in short order. Oweh is raw but he defends the run well and he will develop over time into a better pass rusher if he continues to work hard.

28. New Orleans Saints - WR Kadarius Toney, Florida
The Saints are definitely going to be entering a transitional phase after the loss of Drew Brees to retirement and they've acquired quite a few holes this year on both sides of the ball. The best approach may be to put as many playmakers around whoever starts at QB between Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston as possible. Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara are stars while underrated WR Tre'Quan Smith and TE Adam Trautman look like breakout candidates. That said, they could use some juice from the slot and Smith is entering a contract year. I have them going with a sizzling playmaker in Toney.

29. Green Bay Packers - LB Zaven Collins, Tulsa
The Packers defense could use a huge injection of the run defense and a lot of that stems from subpar linebacker play. They never got help for Clay Matthews before it was too late. Then they had a solid player in Blake Martinez they let walk. Back to the drawing board. Collins looks like an inside/out player in the mold of Matthews that should shore up some of the leaks.

30. Buffalo Bills - ER Joe Tryon, Washington
The reality for the Bills is that they are insanely close to being the top team in the AFC, but they lack a most fundamental aspect of championship teams and that is a legit pass rush. They took AJ Epenesa in the 2nd last year but they didn't take the reins off until late in the year, and he looked like he needed more development. They need to go back to the well in 2021 and I have them getting a twitched up edge player in Joe Tryon to help generate more consistent pressure on the edge.

31. Kansas City Chiefs - LT Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame
The Chiefs did themselves a disservice by not adequately addressing the tackle position in free agency, not that they didn't try (losing out on Trent Williams). That said, watching a stop-gap LT like Reiff sign to play RT in Cincinnati for 7.5M is a bit of a head-scratcher. At this point, the Chiefs are pretty well locked into drafting a tackle fairly early, regardless of what they do in free agency. If you're an athlete guy, you'd hate the thought of Eichenberg and I've caught myself in that trap often of late. If you're an analytics and production guy though, you'll love Eichenberg. The guy doesn't look like he has elite feet and or especially long arms, or have anything that screams left tackle. That said, he's hasn't allowed a sack since the 5th game of 2018 while playing some of the best edge rushers in the nation in that span. He's fundamentally sound, he has good length, and he has some power in the run game. He just gets the job done extremely well, and that may be the best the Chiefs can ask for at 31.

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - RB Najee Harris, Alabama
The Bucs are blessed with a Super Bowl roster and few holes to fill after retaining key free agents. The one place they do need to improve and add to is at the RB position. Harris is a feature back that can run inside or out with tremendous power and has high-quality ability across the board as a receiver and blocker. He'd also help a transition to the heir to Brady.
[Reply]
O.city 01:24 PM 03-25-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Wtf does that even mean?

How do you not have to watch tape to see? :-)
Athleticism usually jumps off pretty easily. If I'm having to question that about a player, it makes it tough for me to say "yeah, he's athletic enough".
[Reply]
staylor26 01:27 PM 03-25-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Athleticism usually jumps off pretty easily. If I'm having to question that about a player, it makes it tough for me to say "yeah, he's athletic enough".
You’re making this much harder than it is.

When a guy isn’t a great athlete, I want to see him against athletic pass rushers to know if he’s athletic enough.

Eichenberg absolutely looked athletic enough against athletic pass rushers.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:45 PM 03-25-2021
I just think it's a hell of alot easier to teach technique or develop that than to not be athletic enough.
The number of athletic freaks that have flamed out in the NFL is so much higher than the number of technicians with limited athleticism flaming out. Most of the guys that have ZERO athleticism never even make it to the NFL, let alone fail once they get there.

There's a certain level of athleticism you have to have to even get a chance in the NFL. Guys with superior technique have an advantage at that point. Physical guys find themselves on a level playing field with nothing to differentiate.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:54 PM 03-25-2021
You also have to take into account aptitude.

In general, a superior technician is who he is because of a high football IQ.

No, you can't teach 4.3 speed but you also can't teach multi-option routes to a WR with a sub 100 IQ.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:56 PM 03-25-2021
Tony Mandarich was an athletic freak & that worked out well for the Packers.
[Reply]
O.city 02:09 PM 03-25-2021
You’re making this much harder than it is.

When a guy isn’t a great athlete, I want to see him against athletic pass rushers to know if he’s athletic enough.

Eichenberg absolutely looked athletic enough against athletic pass rushers.
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The number of athletic freaks that have flamed out in the NFL is so much higher than the number of technicians with limited athleticism flaming out. Most of the guys that have ZERO athleticism never even make it to the NFL, let alone fail once they get there.

There's a certain level of athleticism you have to have to even get a chance in the NFL. Guys with superior technique have an advantage at that point. Physical guys find themselves on a level playing field with nothing to differentiate.
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You also have to take into account aptitude.

In general, a superior technician is who he is because of a high football IQ.

No, you can't teach 4.3 speed but you also can't teach multi-option routes to a WR with a sub 100 IQ.
There's a baseline of athleticism you need to be able to play LT in the NFL. If he's got it, sure go for it.

But with his pedigree, if he did, I'd think we would be hearing alot more about him as a first rounder with teh lack of LT's in today's NFL.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:13 PM 03-25-2021
There's a baseline of athleticism you need to be able to play LT in the NFL. If he's got it, sure go for it.

But with his pedigree, if he did, I'd think we would be hearing alot more about him as a first rounder with teh lack of LT's in today's NFL.
There’s plenty of 1st round talk with Eichenberg though, especially from the more reliable guys.

I get the sense that he’s more highly valued in NFL circles than people think.
[Reply]
O.city 02:17 PM 03-25-2021
There’s plenty of 1st round talk with Eichenberg though, especially from the more reliable guys.

Quite possible.

Coming from ND, with their OL history it woudln't shock me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:54 PM 03-25-2021

Exactly.
[Reply]
Stryker 06:20 PM 03-25-2021
So here is tape on him...

[Reply]
Urc Burry 06:58 PM 03-25-2021
Micah Parsons is going to be an interesting one to watch on draft night. He is every bit as good as going #4 here. But have been seeing him fall to the late teens a lot lately due to character concerns
[Reply]
kcbubb 10:11 PM 03-25-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Jaelen Phillips, please.
Absolutely!!!
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:06 PM 03-25-2021
Not really. That's something a pro day could help determine though
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up