ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Kansas City Chiefs: Mitchell Schwartz is the hidden MVP
T-post Tom 09:05 AM 04-20-2019
Normally when people think of an MVP, they think quarterback. Very rarely is an offensive lineman an MVP, if ever. While Patrick Mahomes is the league MVP, the hidden MVP of this squad is right tackle Mitchell Schwartz.

Mitchell Schwartz came over to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2016 as an Unrestricted Free Agent after spending his first four seasons in Cleveland, where he was a second round pick. Schwartz, the brother of former Chiefs guard Geoff Schwartz, was considered one of the top Free Agents in 2016.

It also helped that he was graded as the number six tackle in his final season with the Browns and he was the first right tackle on that list. The Chiefs had had a revolving door at the position since John Alt played in Chiefs red, so this was a big get. Fans were just a little skeptical though because the last time the Chiefs landed a big time right tackle, Eric Winston, it didn’t turn out too well.

The Schwartz signing was a necessary evil though and one that was well worth the risk. The Chiefs needed a right tackle in the worst way, with incumbent Donald Stephenson playing inconsistently since he was drafted. It was one of the final pieces of the offensive line puzzle that then Chiefs general manager John Dorsey had been trying to solve.

With pass rushers coming from both sides, the right tackle position is becoming just as important as the left. There was hope that for the first time in a long while that the right tackle would not be a turnstile.

How did such an elite talent hit the market? Geoff Schwartz had tweeted about some nonsense prior to his brother signing with the Chiefs (see below). The Browns had another answer though. According to former Browns Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown, no offer was ever made. No matter the answer, Schwartz was a Chief and that was that.

“No offer pulled. I think enough has been said about it. I think a lot of players left their teams. I’ve seen a lot of their agents mouth off in the media, and I’ll just leave it at that.”- Former Browns Executive Sashi Brown

So how did the deal work out for the Chiefs?

One could argue that it might have been one of the best free agent acquisitions in franchise history. Since signing with the Chiefs, Schwartz has been one of the, if not the best right tackles in the game.

He is the recipient of the 2019 Matthews Award, PFF’s award for the top offensive lineman. He has also shut down pass rushers, only giving up two and a half sacks in the 2018-2019 season and that is in a division where Joey Bosa, Von Miller, and Melvin Ingram were among the best in the league at what they do.

So proud of my brother, @MitchSchwartz72 on his deal with the @Chiefs! Went through some nonsense today, and ended up in a great spot. @NFL

— Geoff Schwartz (@geoffschwartz) March 9, 2016

With Patrick Mahomes being the franchise quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs, having an offensive line that can keep him upright is important. Schwartz does just that and so much more.

Despite not having a single Pro Bowl under his belt, he is a two-time Second-Team All-Pro (2016-2017) and made First Team All-Pro in 2018. Keeping Mahomes or, heaven forbid, whichever backup has to play upright is of the utmost importance for the Chiefs to thrive.

That is what makes Mitchell Schwartz the Chiefs hidden MVP.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (@LaurentDTardif)

It was a frustrating year for LDT, as he received a 63.3 grade & played just 5 games, allowing 12 pressures.

However, LDT still had a 79.0 pass block grade in 2016 and 81.8 pass block grade in 2017. His high level form is still there.

— PFF KC Chiefs (@PFF_Chiefs) April 15, 2019

Did I mention that he is quite the Twitter follow? I am always willing to give props to a good follow and even if you aren’t a Chiefs or football fan you should totally give him a follow @MitchSchwartz71.You won’t regret it, trust me.

https://kckingdom.com/2019/04/20/kansas-city-chiefs-mitchell-schwartz-is-the-hidden-mvp/

[Reply]
Chiefshrink 01:39 PM 04-20-2019
Originally Posted by milkman:
Idiot
Jesus loves you, Milk!!
[Reply]
stevieray 07:00 PM 04-20-2019
Schwartz is a stud.

Just ask Von Miller.
[Reply]
Munson 08:47 PM 07-22-2019

[Reply]
Rain Man 09:02 PM 07-22-2019
I just saw this on NFL Network. Good for Mitchell. I hope we have some other players on the Top 100 list with him. I bet we do.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09:19 PM 07-22-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I just saw this on NFL Network. Good for Mitchell. I hope we have some other players on the Top 100 list with him. I bet we do.
Mahomes, Kelce Hill?
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:20 PM 07-22-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Mahomes, Kelce Hill?
You may be right.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09:22 PM 07-22-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
You may be right.
Jones maybe but our defense sucked so much last year I wouldn’t fault them if he wasn’t on there
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:58 PM 07-22-2019
LOL

God, Garrett Bolles even talks like a dumbass. He reminds me so much of Mugsy from Looney Tunes

[Reply]
-King- 12:22 AM 07-23-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Jones maybe but our defense sucked so much last year I wouldn’t fault them if he wasn’t on there
Rams defense sucked and you can bet Donald will be in the top 3. Jones should be at least top 20
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up