ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Plenty Of Choke Awards To Go Around In Bengals Loss
petegz28 06:40 PM 12-04-2022
The Defense: They have to be the front runner. Can't sack one of the most sacked QBs in the game. Can't tackle. Can't cover. Can't do shit. Outside of a bright spot or two where the Bengals did more to stop themselves and a 4th down stop, they have to be tops for the award.

Travis Kelce: Hard to be down on him but his fumble was very costly as it left us chasing the Bengals the rest of the game. There is a point you have to just go down but again, hard to be down on him.

Patrick Mahomes: 3rd and 3, down by 3 late in the 4th quarter, McKinnon flares out in the flat with no one within 10 yards of him. The Bengals were literally giving us a 1st down and Mahomes never even looks that way. Instead he kept trying to look for a big play and ended up taking a sack. That leads us to our next contestant....

Butker: I get it, it's a 56 yard FG for the tie but it is for the tie and you push it wide. Come on down, you're a contestant

Andy Reid: WTF do you kick a 56 hard FG knowing it's high risk and your defense can't stop shit? I get it Pat was limping so call a TO and then if he can't go then kick the FG. That's on top of getting away from what was a great running game at key times, particularly in the red zone early when we had to settle for 3. Three times in a row we have lost to the Bengals by 3 points and largely because we didn't stick with the run more. Granted we did better today.

Steve Spags: Just WTF? What ****ing kind of defense was this guy calling? All day Burrows had all day. All day we let guys run wide open. All day we played off. We never contest receptions, we tackle like shit, guys run anywhere and everywhere they want and the QB has time to read the paper and eat a Snicker's before he has to throw.

It took a team effort to lose this one and the team pulled together to make sure everyone had a part in us losing.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:57 PM 12-04-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Correct. I also suspect that Mahomes didn't think Andy would be dumb enough to kick a FG in that spot and that he'd have another chance on it on 4th down, but Andy unfortunately was.
I don’t think Andy was in a particularly great spot there. Let’s say we go for it. We score a td. We all but guarantee cincy gets the last possession.

I think Reid’s hope was that we could get the ball one last time on offense. If we make that fg the bengals last drive looks entirely different. They’d be way more aggressive and give us a way better shot at getting the ball back. Hell, we could gift them a touchdown just so we can get the ball back if the drive wasn’t looking great.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 10:00 PM 12-04-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Everyone keeps mentioning Mahomes missing McKinnon on that 3rd down, but as soon as Pat hits the dirt, two defenders sitting on McKninnon pop into the screen.

I'm sure Pat saw them and realized there was a good chance they'd rally to make the tackle short of the 1st.

Also, if you look at the end zone angle on the replay, someone was coming open (moving from the middle of the field going toward the right sideline). I'm thinking it was MVS. He would have been open for a 20-25 yarder or more if our tackles are even halfway decent.
Agreed on all of it. McKinnon may have had to break a tackle. And yeah somebody was coming open as pat was stepping up.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 10:20 PM 12-04-2022
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I don’t think Andy was in a particularly great spot there. Let’s say we go for it. We score a td. We all but guarantee cincy gets the last possession.

I think Reid’s hope was that we could get the ball one last time on offense. If we make that fg the bengals last drive looks entirely different. They’d be way more aggressive and give us a way better shot at getting the ball back. Hell, we could gift them a touchdown just so we can get the ball back if the drive wasn’t looking great.
He definitely wasn't in a great spot either way. That was the cost of Kelce's crushing fumble in that game, we were probably going to lose once that happened the way our defense was playing. But kicking a 55 yard FG for a tie game against Joe Burrow with 3 minutes to go simply isn't the percentage play there.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:23 PM 12-04-2022

The best option was to go for it on 4th down, try to get a TD on that drive, go up by 4, and force Cincy to beat you with a TD.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:44 PM 12-04-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
He definitely wasn't in a great spot either way. That was the cost of Kelce's crushing fumble in that game, we were probably going to lose once that happened the way our defense was playing. But kicking a 55 yard FG for a tie game against Joe Burrow with 3 minutes to go simply isn't the percentage play there.
Yeah, I would have gone for it but I don’t think it’s the slam dunk everyone is making it to be. There’s a lot to like about the FG strategy IF we make the field goal. I think it was our best way to get the ball back and I’d gladly put the ball into mahomes hand instead of the defenses.

But i get going for it. That would have been my preferred move. To your point I 100% agree that it’s more about the fumble putting us in a bad spot.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 10:51 PM 12-04-2022

agree. and I think he went with the odds being better we would get 3 + 1 more possession. rather than try for a 4th and 3 and let time tick.

tough spot. but going for it wasn't the no brainer everyone says, totally agree
[Reply]
-King- 10:53 PM 12-04-2022

There was 3 minutes left in the game. Why would he think a FG there would get us the ball back?

And why would the Bengals be aggressive with 3 minutes left, 3 timeouts and needing only a FG to win? They'd just keep their regular game plan and try to bleed the clock as much as possible.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:55 PM 12-04-2022
Yeah, I would have gone for it but I don’t think it’s the slam dunk everyone is making it to be. There’s a lot to like about the FG strategy IF we make the field goal. I think it was our best way to get the ball back and I’d gladly put the ball into mahomes hand instead of the defenses.

But i get going for it. That would have been my preferred move. To your point I 100% agree that it’s more about the fumble putting us in a bad spot.
I don't think anyone is saying the 4th down conversion is a slam dunk, but of the other things that could happen...

- Make a FG, defense needs to stop the Bengals from a handful of first downs in 3 minutes, kicking a FG and ending the game

- Miss a FG, defense needs to stop the Bengals from a few first downs and ending the game.

- Don't convert on 4th down, defense needs to stop the Bengals from a few first downs and ending the game.

You're just not helping your cause much, besides the extra ~20 yards... and you know at that point, the Bengals would be going for it on every 4th down as well with less than 3 minutes left (unless maybe they went 3 and out).

You might as well take your chances and go for it.
[Reply]
MMXcalibur 11:00 PM 12-04-2022
I don't know what game Andy Reid was watching, but the correct play was going for it on 4th down. That pathetic excuse of a defense we were fielding wasn't going to stop a damn thing, especially with the amount of time left on the clock.

At the very least, you kick a field goal later in the drive after burning away a good portion of the clock and force overtime. We already saw how things would've played out if they failed on 4th down.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I will argue all day that the tea leaves necessitated us going for it.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:52 PM 12-04-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
There was 3 minutes left in the game. Why would he think a FG there would get us the ball back?

And why would the Bengals be aggressive with 3 minutes left, 3 timeouts and needing only a FG to win? They'd just keep their regular game plan and try to bleed the clock as much as possible.
With 3:19 and 4 timeouts left (one being 2 minute warning)
Cincy is more inclined to pass which means either chunk yardage or incomplete to stop the clock. We can sell out and gamble knowing a quick score gets us a final possession. Hell, we can even give up a quick score if we feel momentum slip. Point being there are lots of options that give a decent shot to get the ball back.

I’m not saying it was the right call. I wish we went for it. But I’m not naive to realize that IF (and a very big if) we score a TD we all but guarantee that our defense would have to save the game with the bengals having a boatload of time left. That option isn’t ideal either. I’m just pointing out that it’s not so cut and dry to call this a dumb decision. Making our defense hold on the final possession sounds incredibly dangerous.. We were in a bad spot either way
[Reply]
Rasputin 12:40 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Titty Meat starting the game thread again and robbing us of a KcNut game thread.
He fucks the server every time!
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 12:41 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
He fucks the server every time!
Some kind of weird ritual thing where he starts the game thread behind the GB statue.
[Reply]
-King- 01:18 AM 12-05-2022
With 3:19 and 4 timeouts left (one being 2 minute warning)
Cincy is more inclined to pass which means either chunk yardage or incomplete to stop the clock. We can sell out and gamble knowing a quick score gets us a final possession. Hell, we can even give up a quick score if we feel momentum slip. Point being there are lots of options that give a decent shot to get the ball back.

I’m not saying it was the right call. I wish we went for it. But I’m not naive to realize that IF (and a very big if) we score a TD we all but guarantee that our defense would have to save the game with the bengals having a boatload of time left. That option isn’t ideal either. I’m just pointing out that it’s not so cut and dry to call this a dumb decision. Making our defense hold on the final possession sounds incredibly dangerous.. We were in a bad spot either way
I'm confused why 3 minutes left with 4 timeouts would lead you to think that would make Cinci more inclined to pass. That makes backwards sense.
[Reply]
TEX 02:27 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
This defense has no answers for them...we have 1 DL thar can get it done so they take him out...you blitz you get killed you play back he picks you apart..

They got the advantage of having 2 top level WRs to go with their QB.
Exactly the case. Until someone on the DL can win one on ones, KC is not beating Cin. It's that simple.
[Reply]
LongSufferingToady 02:56 AM 12-05-2022
Seems to me that Andy reverted to his old tried-and-lousy "play not to lose" mentality where he sits on a lead (or tie) and hopes the defense pulls through, thus guaranteeing a loss. He did this in Philly too. He just reverts to risk avoidance when he's not ahead.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up