ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for on the Baseball HOF's Contemporary Era Ballot?
Albert Belle 4 7.27%
Barry Bonds 28 50.91%
Roger Clemens 28 50.91%
Don Mattingly 21 38.18%
Fred McGriff 13 23.64%
Dale Murphy 12 21.82%
Rafael Palmeiro 5 9.09%
Curt Schilling 28 50.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Who would you vote for on the Contemporary Era ballot?
Ocotillo 01:00 AM 12-03-2022
The National Baseball Hall of Fame has its Contemporary Era Committee's vote on eight candidates this Sunday at the Baseball Winter Meetings in San Diego. This is the modern day Veterans Committee for those familiar with the HOF. All eight candidates have fallen off the writer's ballot.

A candidate must receive 75% for induction into the Hall of Fame. Voters can't vote for more than three.

Who would you vote for?
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:08 AM 12-04-2022
Murphy (valid point earlier, but he’s got a ton of awards including 2 MVPs).
Mattingly
Crime Dog
[Reply]
jjchieffan 09:14 AM 12-04-2022
I'll say Murphy and Mattingly. Hopefully the cheating roid users never get in
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:58 AM 12-04-2022
Dale Murphy
Fred McGriff

McGriff is an arbitrary 7 HR away from 500. If hitting 500 in your career means automatic inclusion unless you're a cheating cheater, so should that.

Murphy suffers from playing his career almost entirely in the 80s. He was a good CF and a tremendous power hitter, but his power numbers got washed out by the steroid-infused homer happy decade that followed him. He also clearly was a top 10 position player in the league for a decade, performing better than some of his peers who already are in (Andre Dawson, for example).

Everyone else is a cheating ****ing cheater I won't vote for or a Hall of Very Good player.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:34 PM 12-04-2022
CRIME DOG GETS IN!!!!
[Reply]
Bump 02:37 AM 12-05-2022
it's crazy how much cooler and more entertaining baseball was 20 years ago. I can't even name a single player now. Wait, I've heard of Aaron Judge and Bryce Harper and the Asian dude from the Angels. So I can name 2 and picture another.
[Reply]
DRM08 03:08 AM 12-05-2022
I’m glad McGriff made it! His homer numbers would have been well above 500 if Atlanta’s ballpark was not so pitcher-friendly during Fred’s career.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:10 PM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
I’m glad McGriff made it! His homer numbers would have been well above 500 if Atlanta’s ballpark was not so pitcher-friendly during Fred’s career.
???

He played at Fulton County Stadium which was nicknamed "The Launchpad" because of the unusually high number of home runs hit here on a regular basis, AND until Coors Field opened it led the Major Leagues in home runs hit.
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:49 AM 12-06-2022
Otis Taylor belongs in NFL HOF Canton Ohio before any of those bums get in baseball HOF
[Reply]
kstater 08:46 AM 12-06-2022
The steroid guys weren't isolated users. The entire era did, and everyone in the league looked the other way, so my thoughts are they should be in. A HOF that has McGriff but not Bonds devalues the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:03 AM 12-06-2022
Originally Posted by kstater:
The steroid guys weren't isolated users. The entire era did, and everyone in the league looked the other way, so my thoughts are they should be in. A HOF that has McGriff but not Bonds devalues the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
A HoF that has Bonds is fucking meaningless.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 11:12 AM 12-06-2022
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
A HoF that has Bonds is ****ing meaningless.
If David Ortiz, Jeff Bagwell, Mike Piazza, and Pudge Rodriguez are in it, then there's no reason Bonds and Clemens shouldn't also be in it.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:56 AM 12-06-2022
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
Otis Taylor belongs in NFL HOF Canton Ohio before any of those bums get in baseball HOF
THIS is the only correct answer. :-)
[Reply]
loochy 12:10 PM 12-06-2022
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
A HoF that has Bonds is fucking meaningless.

A HoF that doesn't have Bonds is meaningless.

The man left his mark on baseball forever, both positively and negatively. He's a part of baseball's story and he definitely belongs.
[Reply]
the steam 02:01 PM 12-06-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

That said, do steroids help pitchers as much as they do batters?
No. Pitchers weren't striking out 400 batters and winning 30 games. The problem with Bonds, Mcgwire and Sosa is they broke a hallowed record. If they would have just hit 55 or so HRs a year there would be no outrage or investigations. I agree with keeping them out, you don't get to cheat and then receive the games highest honor.
[Reply]
deegs 02:30 PM 12-06-2022
Alex Smith
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up