ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 16
< 12 345612 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Some prospects I love, and where I love them.
Direckshun 12:25 PM 11-18-2022
Just a rundown of some players I like. I'll use the OP as a collection of the posts I've made on them. (Strikethrough means they are returning to school.)

QB:
Cameron Ward, Washington State (4th)

RB:
Bijan Robinson, Texas (1st)
Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama (2nd)
Devon Achane, Texas A&M (3rd)
Tank Bigsby, Auburn (3rd)
Zach Charbonnet, UCLA (3rd)
Kenny McIntosh, Georgia (4th)
Eric Gray, Oklahoma (4th)
Sean Tucker, Syracuse (5th)
Kendre Miller, TCU (6th)
Chase Brown, Illinois (7th)
Roschon Johnson, Texas (7th)
Zach Evans, Ole Miss (UDFA)

WR:
Jordan Addison, USC (1st)
Rashee Rice, SMU (1st)
Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee (2nd)
Nathaniel Dell, Jr. (2nd)
Xavier Hutchinson, Iowa State (2nd)
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State (3rd)
Marvin Mims, Oklahoma (3rd)
Kayshon Boutte, LSU (3rd)
Josh Downs, North Carolina (5th)
Cedric Tillman, Tennessee (6th)

TE:
Luke Musgrave, Oregon State (1st)
Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State (2nd)
Dalton Kincaid, Utah (2nd)
Darnell Washington, Georgia (2nd)
Arik Gilbert, Georgia (4th)
Jaheim Bell, South Carolina (6th)
Cameron Latu, Alabama (7th)
Will Mallory, Miami (7th)

OT:
Broderick Jones, Georgia (1st)
Anton Harrison, Oklahoma (1st)
Darnell Wright, Tennessee (1st)
Peter Skoronski, Northwestern (2nd)
Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland (2nd)
Blake Freeland, BYU (2nd)
Dawand Jones, Ohio State (4th)

OG:
Cody Mauch, North Dakota State (4th)
Jarrett Patterson, Notre Dame (6th)
Nick Broeker, Ole Miss (6th)
Steve Avila, TCU (7th)

C:
Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia (5th)
Luke Wypler, Ohio State (6th)

DT:
Gervin Dexter, Florida (1st)
Bryan Bresee, Clemson (1st)
Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin (2nd)
Siaki Ika, Baylor (2nd)
Calijah Kancey, Pittsburgh (2nd)
Mazi Smith, Michigan (3rd)
Zacch Pickens, South Carolina (4th)
Byron Young, Alabama (6th)

DE:
Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame (1st)
Andre Carter II, Army (1st)
Jared Verse, Florida State (1st)
Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech (1st)
BJ Ojulari, LSU (1st)
Derick Hall, Auburn (1st)
Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State (2nd)
Will McDonald IV, Iowa State (2nd)
Lukas Van Ness, Iowa (4th)
Isaiah McGuire, Missouri (4th)
Zach Harrison, Ohio State (5th)
Princely Umanmielen, Florida (7th)
Isaiah Land, Florida A&M (UDFA)

LB:
Henry To'o To'o, Alabama (3rd)
Mike Jones Jr., LSU (4th)
Ventrell Miller, Florida (6th)

CB:
Kyu Blu Kelly, Stanford (3rd)
Tiawan Mullen, Indiana (7th)

S:
Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M (1st)
Christopher Smith II, Georgia (2nd)
Brandon Joseph, Notre Dame (2nd)
Jordan Battle, Alabama (3rd)
J.L. Skinner, Boise State (3rd)
Sydney Brown, Illinois (4th)
Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn State (6th)
Trey Dean III, Florida (6th)
Tykee Smith, Georgia (7th)
Beejay Williamson, Louisiana Tech (UDFA)
[Reply]
Urc Burry 09:44 PM 11-19-2022
Where is Deuce projected? I’m no K-State homer, and he issss tiny. But that dude could be a McKinnon replacement and be damn good at it
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 11:43 PM 11-19-2022
Roschon Johnson needs to be on the list at RB.

Tough as nails, surprising speed when he sees daylight, good in pass-pro, and a special teams ace.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:25 AM 11-21-2022
DE Lukas Van Ness, Iowa

Here's a guy who I am increasingly fascinated by, and may warrant a second day pick. Van Ness is a Spags-sized end, 6'5", almost 270. He is a Karlaftis clone with (I would surmise) more athletic upside, with the ability to reduce down to the interior. He's played 5-tech, wide DE, and passing down DT. His power is unquestionable, his athleticism is there.

I'm going to watch his Combine tape closely -- because this guy is raw as hell. He's only started this season, and he's scored half a dozen sacks on a rotational basis. He's got all the tools, but his lack of a snapcount is going to warrant all kinds of technique work. If he lights up the Combine, I'd sniff him out with a 3rd -- but probably a 4th given the huge question marks around him. If he doesn't perform well at the Combine, I may take him with a late 6th or one of my 7ths.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:31 AM 11-21-2022
QB Cameron Ward, Washington State

Air raid offense. Strong arm, various arm angles. Lots of athleticism for running the option or picking up extra yardage. Eye popping plays on the regular.

Remind you of anyone?

Who knows, maybe Henne has another season in him, but if not, the Chiefs no longer need a "heady vet" in the room. Time to take some lottery tickets at QB for depth and perhaps trading off for value down the road. I'm a big fan of taking QBs whose talents match the starter's anyways, which is why I like Shane Buechele's upside. But Ward is a clearer heir apparent. Not nearly as experienced as you want but he's risen to the moment at Wash State after transferring from FCS, and he looks like he has fantastic upside.

He's less of a Mahomes clone, honestly; I think he's more of an Alex Smith in his playing style. But after a couple years in the system, and a couple of preseason light shows, I think this guy is a capable backup that you can maybe flip for picks down the road. I'd take a hard look at him in the 4th.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:40 AM 11-21-2022
RB Chase Brown, Illinois

At some point, the Chiefs should honestly lean in on what their OL does best and just run north-south smashmouth football. It plays to Pacheco's strengths, they could elevate Ronald Jones and have him play supplemental snaps there, and honestly if they're committed to Brown/Humphrey/Smith/even Wylie, they should all the way in with the RB rotation.

That's Brown's style. He's not a huge wiggle guy, but he hits the hole violently and has fantastic top-end speed to beat DBs' pursuit angles (Brown is another track star). He's only 200 lbs but this is basically Darwin Thompson with more speed. His performance has grown every season.

The Chiefs probably have five 7ths this NFL Draft, and using one of them to fill out the bottom end of your RB stable is fair value, I think.
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:55 PM 11-21-2022
DE Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech

Tyree Wilson is going to make some 3-4 team very happy, and honestly he would be a good fit in KC in the Karlaftis role if we didn't already have Karlaftis there. Having two clunky but powerful workers coming off the edge, I don't think, sets the defense up the way we need to be. But if Spags sees some wiggle in Wilson's game that I don't see, go for it.

Wilson's biggest strength is that this guy just gets off blocks. He is long, he is about 280 lbs, and he has long arms to manipulate tackles and ruin guards. He can rotate down to DT and make lives miserable. He's really what you'd have in Karlaftis if you dialed hustle down to a 10 from Karlaftis' 12, but if you dialed the power and slipperiness up to a 9. Wilson has a ceiling that he can reach, but while he's on his way, he's strong and slippery enough to rack up sacks his rookie year.

But he's arguably a Top 15 player in this draft, and the Chiefs are not going to give up picks to go get a juiced up Karlaftis while they have a Karlaftis. If he falls to our pick, who knows. He's not a great fit for what the team needs schematically, but he will get you sacks. And this team desperately needs more production from the DE position.
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:07 PM 11-21-2022
S Jordan Battle, Alabama

Watching the Chiefs secondary is jarring right now: teams are flat out avoiding Trent McDuffie and Justin Reid at all costs -- you almost never see them on the screen. You do see Juan Thornhill a ton, however, which leads me to believe he's being targeted a ton and his play has just never recovered to 2019 levels. Is Cook a good candidate to take over his spot? Maybe. Cook may be a third safety at best, but I defer to the coaching staff.

If he is, and this staff is really looking to keep building that secondary, Battle makes a great amount of sense on the second day. Thornhill, on paper, needs to be a guy who can play shallow routes with the ability to drop into deep safety on occasion. These are both things Battle can do.

On paper, he is not super different from Cook, and so if the Chiefs don't like Cook's progress, spending yet another 2nd on the position may make sense. But this team, at all times, needs a third safety who can take considerable snaps if need be, and Battle may supplant and upgrade what Cook has offered so far. He's very good value at the bottom of the 2nd, but given our resources at the position, I'd only be tempted to take him in the 3rd at the soonest.
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:18 PM 11-21-2022
TE Cameron Latu, Alabama

Latu would be a luxury selection for this team, and it's possible the Chiefs just have two hundred other players that give them more what they're looking for. Given their roster construction, I think Latu is probably going to be more interesting to 31 other teams than to Kansas City. But I am not a huge fan of this guy anyway, unless we're getting disgusting value on him with one of our 7ths.

The knocks: he's not particularly fast, he's not a great route runner. He's just a perfunctory, reliable blocking tight end who you can ask to catch like ten balls a season. That being said, the Chiefs do like having a blocking tight end on the roster. The question then becomes, has Noah Gray upgraded his blocking enough to make TEs like Latu unnecessary to even look at?

If he's sitting there in the 7th, I consider jumping on him.
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:37 PM 11-21-2022
TE Jaheim Bell, South Carolina

Bell is a heat check for a Chiefs team that can seemingly take any block of clay and turn it into offensive weapon pottery. Bell is a great receiver and a fantastic athlete by TE standards, in part because he's 6'3", 235 lbs. He has the athletic profile to run sharp routes and create all kinds of separation across the middle and the boundary, and to even taking some carries in motions and sweeps if necessary.

That tweener size is tricky, and unlike Jody Fortson, his physique seems maxed out. He's not going to be a great blocker, and despite his smaller size, he's not a great fit, it doesn't seem, as a fullback type role. He offers some promise as a pure receiving TE at the bottom of the 53 but the Chiefs seemingly have that already in Fortson, assuming they tender him. If Andy Reid is addicted to having a Fortson-type on the roster, and they deem Fortson as out of their price range long term. spending a late-rounder on Bell might be a way to replace that loss.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:00 PM 11-22-2022
DE Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame

What exactly does this defense need, as we enter 2023? Look the roster over. Clearly they're going to need several DTs, run-pluggers in particular, with some depth in the back seven and maybe a new starting safety if Bryan Cook isn't up for the gig.

But the biggest thing this defense needs, really what's going to turn this defense from a pretty good one to a Top 8 unit year in and year out, is passrushing off the edge. And not just any passrusher, a passrusher who specifically can threaten a tackle's outside shoulder. The Chiefs ideally need a couple of those guys, rather than technique-and-effort guys like Danna and Karlaftis. But ultimately, they need a premier guy. A blue chip who can torture tackles by beating them to the corner, and undercutting them when they drop too deep.

Folks, Isaiah Foskey is that missing piece. He's got really good size and ridiculous upside to go with multi-season evidence that he can explode out of his stance, turn the corner easily, and hunt QBs for games at a time. Foskey is the biggest solution to the biggest problem this defense has in 2023. He is a great fit for everything we want to accomplish.

But he may be too rich for our blood. I consistently see him with a 1st round rating, he fits both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, and if he crushes the Combine, he may leak into the Top Ten, which is where I'd put him.

If the Chiefs can get within screaming distance of trading up for him, that's it. You've made the biggest move that will reverberate across the entire defense. He'll deliver his rookie season, and will only get more lethal as the seasons go by.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:11 PM 11-22-2022
RB Sean Tucker, Syracuse

Where you rank Tucker will depend on what exactly you think has happened this season. Entering the season, he was thought of as a dark horse threat for the Heisman, between his good feature back size and fantastic breakaway speed to house touchdowns. Since then, he just... hasn't been great. He's been good, and draftable, but he's not been great, a threat to go in the 1st round and a slam dunk 2nd day pick.

What happened this year, is honestly up to people who watch the Orangeman closer than I do. Personally, I think the offensive line has been better this season than it was last season, even though they've had some injury concerns.

Ultimately, this goes back to a philosophy change I believe the Chiefs should make, and just completely commit to power running and gap schemes. This has paid dividends with Pacheco, and 2021 Tucker leaves Pacheco in the dust, with the same skillset but better size and equivalent speed. 2022 Tucker honestly looks like a midround pick.

If the Chiefs discern there's something holding Tucker back that I don't see, they may consider going earlier given how well he replicates (and potentially improves upon) Pacheco's skillset. But while I like him, wouldn't spend more than a 5th on him right now.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:20 PM 11-22-2022
RB Zach Charbonnet, UCLA

Maybe the biggest hole on the Chiefs roster isn't right tackle after all, if you're a believer in some of the work Andrew Wylie has put in (I'm not). But the sneakiest big hole on the Chiefs offense is just having a 220 lbs back who can slam into the line and earn a yard on 3rd and inches. And if the Chiefs offensive line keeps leaning into power and gap schemes, having a one-cut power back may be the answer.

Enter Zach Charbonnet. This guy is an absolute wrecking ball when he gets moving, and I think he showcases good enough hands to be a weapon in the passing game at or near a Spencer Ware level of production. He's a surprisingly patient runner, too, which can get him in trouble but there is more than a little LeVeon Bell to his game. I mean the Bruins' run game is an absolutely meatgrinder to play against.

He's missed some time with unclear injuries this season, though, so that's something teams will have to evaluate. I think there's a case to be made that he's a product of Chip Kelly's system in UCLA as well -- they just ran for 400 yards on Arizona State when Charbonnet was out.

That being said, his skillset is promising, and he may very well be a 2nd rounder in this draft if his Combine delivers. For now, I like him at the end of the 2nd day.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:35 PM 11-22-2022
DT Byron Young, Alabama

Man, I really like Young. I wish he fit our defense better. He's a firey leader and a high effort guy.

But Young needs to go to a 3-4 team that plays a lot of two-gapping. He'd be a great 5-tech in that scheme. He weighs in at 295 lbs, but he plays with the strength of a bigger guy. Extremely thick arms that hold OL off his body, before he casts them aside to swallow the run. In a scheme where they ask you to hold your block and free up the linebackers, he may be worth a 2nd day pick or a 4th rounder.

As it stands, we do not run that scheme. We ask our DTs to largely shoot gaps, which he can't do effectively. We also ask them to try to create some passrushing production, which he cannot do.

He makes sense for the Chiefs in the late rounds, if at all, and only if the Chiefs have done next to nothing at the 1-tech position. Young can give you rotational 1-tech snaps in our defense, but he's not of use much of anywhere else. I really like his skillset but I don't see how the Chiefs could spend any more than a 6th rounder on it.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:48 PM 11-22-2022
RB Eric Gray, Oklahoma

We had a whole lot of questions about OU heading into this season, and Gray was one of them, given that his career there so far had been middling and disappointing. And while Oklahoma has failed to fulfill many expectations, Gray has exploded through them.

Gray is (mostly) the guy that the Chiefs thought they drafted when they selected Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the first round. Quicker than fast, good change of directions, undersized and lacking in long speed, utilizes his football IQ to find open space in the passing game. Gray is 100% all of that, but he is mostly unproven in the passing game in the way Clyde was coming out of LSU.

Gray has shown good hands, and I get the impression of him that he's exceptionally smart, so I'd like to see how he does in interviews when asked about route concepts. For now, he looks like a really smart, solid contributor who can find creases, get the yards he's supposed to get and maybe more sometimes, who can grow into a really solid passing weapon as well, and serve as a "glue guy" in the locker room.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:41 PM 11-22-2022
Man Ya'll this team needs Jordan Addison.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 16
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up