ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Hot take. The Chiefs don't make a major FA splash in 2023.
Direckshun 09:08 AM 11-15-2022
I'm looking over free agency for this coming offseason.

The Chiefs are entering this offseason, flush with cap space and 11 draft picks.

They can do anything they want.

And you know what I think? I don't think the Chiefs make any top tier free agency signings this offseason.

I really don't.

I think the Chiefs take another year to take a big hit on Mahomes cap number ($46m) without pushing it down the road.

I think the Chiefs use their cap space to tag OBJ and maybe extend him, which they really want to do.

I think they are high a bit on their own supply with how incredible this rookie class has been, and love the fact they have 11 draft picks.

So I think they're going to sow up their roster, fortify the roster. Reminds me of a recent investment the United States made in Ukraine: instead of sending them a bunch of forward advancing weaponry, they sent them a bunch of weaponry to hold the land they've held/taken. And I think that's what this team is about to do.

Take the Mahomes cap hit, extend Chris Jones, sow up Sneed, lock down JuJu.

What positions do the Chiefs need a huge FA signing at, anyway?

RB? Makes sense given the cap space they're spoiled with, but it doesn't seem to mesh with what Veach/Reid have ever done.

Receivers? Toney and a JuJu re-sign would probably eliminate that. Honestly, if they bring Watson back and like what they see in Moore and/or Justyn Ross, they could chew on releasing MVS if they want (saves them $7m if they do). The Chiefs are currently 4 deep at TE, and love all of them.

OL? First off, Orlando Brown is a Chief in 2023; I think we all understand that. And I think we all agree they want him long term. They also have their entire interior OL under contract. They have a huge hole at RT, and there's yet another excellent Cleveland Browns RT coming available in Jack Conklin! But they're paying retail for Thuney, and they're going to have to pay Humphrey/Smith in a year or two. A primo RT doesn't make sense, especially considering 11 draft picks and they can go get a guy they want.

DL? Don't get me started, jerks. There's no top-end DE talent anymore that makes sense in free agency. There's some DT talent, but the Chiefs only really need a starting 1 tech, and they may just extend Saunders. What the Chiefs need is to build a deep rotation, but you're not going to spend top-dollar on a guy you know is going to be rotational. Plus knowing Veach, if the DE position isn't where he wants it, he'll just pick up an Ingram or Dunlap somewhere and be okay with it.

LB? Nope.

Secondary? Not at corner, where we're 4-deep. Maybe at safety, if the Chiefs don't think Cook is ready for a full-time strong safety gig, but they're already paying money for Reid, and again, 11 draft picks. (Plus they could just extend Thornhill.)

So I think the Chiefs are entering this offseason, but instead of going splash-mode on huge free agency signings, I fully expect them to lock up their current talent to keep the team strong for the foreseeable future, sign a bunch of middle class players for rotational roles, and pour their resources into the draft.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:04 PM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
I kinda wonder if they might go with someone like Andre Dillard at LT and see if they can work out some kinks.

If I were gonna make a move for a DL this offseason, it's probably Dre"Mont Jones.
I wouldn't be at all opposed to signing Dillard and I'd try to lock him into something like a 3-year deal at a modest rate.

If nothing else, he's proven he can be a capable player and valuable as a reserve but I still think he can start in the NFL as a LT. Mailata was just better.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 12:46 PM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Suh isn't the Suh of old but he still had some value last year as more of a rotational player. I think the only thing people are looking at is a guy that's available that can take on some of Wharton's role with more of an impact than Stallworth, especially as we look towards the playoff push.

Getting him in about now would give him a few weeks to get acclimated before you start looking at ramping up.
This is it.

Suh had value last year, played well enough to be a nice addition to our rotation.

JuJu just went into concussion protocol, we be could be down a WR for a couple weeks so maybe we have a little more interest in Odell.

I'm down with Veach's 28 and younger FA mentality, but these guys are not long term pieces just stop gaps to help us win now that would be a luxury to have.

I feel like Saquan proved himself this year, but that could be fools gold.

Tony Pollard? Yes, please.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:48 PM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
This is it.

Suh had value last year, played well enough to be a nice addition to our rotation.

JuJu just went into concussion protocol, we be could be down a WR for a couple weeks so maybe we have a little more interest in Odell.

I'm down with Veach's 28 and younger FA mentality, but these guys are not long term pieces just stop gaps to help us win now that would be a luxury to have.

I feel like Saquan proved himself this year, but that could be fools gold.

Tony Pollard? Yes, please.
Odell won't be ready in time to take Juju's snaps. Juju will probably be back a month before Odell even suits up.
[Reply]
O.city 12:48 PM 11-17-2022
I wouldn't be at all opposed to signing Dillard and I'd try to lock him into something like a 3-year deal at a modest rate.

If nothing else, he's proven he can be a capable player and valuable as a reserve but I still think he can start in the NFL as a LT. Mailata was just better.
It could blow up and not work, but you could also get some real value there if he plays well for what you'd have invested in him.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:25 PM 11-17-2022
Suh signed with the Eagles. Just announced.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:56 PM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That cocksucker.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:53 PM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yep, I'll go back to hating him now for the time he twisted Mahomes ankle.

Forget I ever mentioned him.
[Reply]
JPH83 12:56 AM 11-18-2022

Yes to the Dillard reclamation project! No to Suh, glad he's gone elsewhere
[Reply]
In58men 07:12 AM 11-18-2022
Poona from Seattle will be nice
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up