ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Free agent/Draft RB
O.city 08:42 AM 11-09-2022
They've gotta look for someone back there. What they've got just isn't good enough.

I think Saquon would be fun but he's played himself into a nice contract me thinks.

Same with Josh Jacobs. Man, he's ran so hard this year.

Any body have ideas there?

I like the kid from A&M alot, but I think he goes higher than we wanna spend a pick. But damn, he'd be perfect.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 08:51 PM 11-10-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
No, I would never spend a 1st or 2nd on a RB for this offense.

They need capable talent, not transcendent talent.

The 3rd round, honestly, is a very good spot to get talented RBs on the regular.
I wonder if teams around the league think "Thank God the Chiefs settle for just capable running backs. I agree OL and DT are more pressing, but I wouldn't just write off the RB position in the first two rounds.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:12 PM 11-10-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
I wonder if teams around the league think "Thank God the Chiefs settle for just capable running backs. I agree OL and DT are more pressing, but I wouldn't just write off the RB position in the first two rounds.
Reid needs run and catch backs, not workhorses.

Here's a list of Reid's most productive RBs throughout his career (basically annually but many played multiple seasons in a row as the most productive back).
Duce Staley - 3rd round #71 (5'11" 242)
Darnell Autry - 4th round #105 (5'10" 210)
Brian Westbrook - 3rd round #91 (5'10" 203)
LeSean McCoy - 2nd round #53 (5'11" 210)
Jamaal Charles - 3rd round #73 (5'11" 199)
Charcandrick West - UDFA (5'10" 205)
Spencer Ware - 6th round #194 (5'10" 224)
Kareem Hunt - 3rd round #86 (5'11" 216)
Damien Williams - UDFA (5'11" 225)
Darrel Williams - UDFA (5'11" 224)
Clyde Edwards-Helaire - 1st round #32 (5'7" 207)

I think you can notice there is a bit of a trend there. Get a run and catch back in the 3rd that's around 5'10" 210 and Reid will put them in a position to succeed.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:19 PM 11-10-2022
Official endorsement of the Tank:

[Reply]
CatfishBob2 09:54 PM 11-10-2022

I think you can notice there is a bit of a trend there. Get a run and catch back in the 3rd that's around 5'10" 210 and Reid will put them in a position to succeed.
I've done the research on Reid and his RBs a long time ago. Looking at that list you'll see Reid always carried different styles of RBs

Staley, Westbrook, Sproles, Mccoy, Hunt and Ware are the best RBs Reid had and all of them but Ware were drafted in the first four rounds . But that still didn't preclude him from taking an RB(albeit, the wrong one) in the 1st. That's my point

I haven't dug into many RBs yet but my favorite that I've seen thus far is Jahmyr Gibbs and I wouldn't go for him until the 3rd right now
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:02 PM 11-10-2022
Roschon Johnson is someone that interests me as a late round type. He's big and has power and decent speed. Can run through some arm tackles and catches the ball well/with his hands. He's also a former QB who can take direct snaps under center or in shotgun. Handy little bonus.

I also like Sean Tucker from Syracuse. I could see a 5-10, 210 pound RB former track star doing well in Andy Reid's offense.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:11 AM 11-11-2022
No, I would never spend a 1st or 2nd on a RB for this offense.

They need capable talent, not transcendent talent.

The 3rd round, honestly, is a very good spot to get talented RBs on the regular.

A guy like Tank Bigsby in the 3rd might be a valid option.
'Never' is strong.

I mean lets say we attack DL this off-season and the 'renovation' is successful. And we've managed to get at least one long-term solution via FA at OT.

So we go into the 2024 draft with less dire needs at hard to fill positions.

If a Breece Hall sort of player were there at the back of 2? I'd absolutely consider it at that point.

I wouldn't call Hunt transcendent - but I wouldn't call him merely capable either. You look at how much Edge James was able to take pressure off Manning when he was in his prime, for instance. Now I don't expect James, but I also don't think James was quite as good as his resume. I think James and Manning were symbiotic.

Things absolutely change and in the end I may struggle to pull the trigger on a 1st or 2nd day RB when the time to actually review the board and make the pick comes. But I think it's something I'd consider.

I mean hell, the MEH draft was a year we could justify the splurge pick on an early RB - we just !@#$ed it up. I mean if we take Jonathan Taylor or even a monster like AJ Dillon, that sure would help a lot right now.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:08 AM 11-11-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
'Never' is strong.

I mean lets say we attack DL this off-season and the 'renovation' is successful. And we've managed to get at least one long-term solution via FA at OT.

So we go into the 2024 draft with less dire needs at hard to fill positions.

If a Breece Hall sort of player were there at the back of 2? I'd absolutely consider it at that point.

I wouldn't call Hunt transcendent - but I wouldn't call him merely capable either. You look at how much Edge James was able to take pressure off Manning when he was in his prime, for instance. Now I don't expect James, but I also don't think James was quite as good as his resume. I think James and Manning were symbiotic.

Things absolutely change and in the end I may struggle to pull the trigger on a 1st or 2nd day RB when the time to actually review the board and make the pick comes. But I think it's something I'd consider.

I mean hell, the MEH draft was a year we could justify the splurge pick on an early RB - we just !@#$ed it up. I mean if we take Jonathan Taylor or even a monster like AJ Dillon, that sure would help a lot right now.
To each there own. I, personally, in that position (which I'm not and won't ever be in all likelihood) would absolutely never take a RB in the first 2 rounds. It's how I feel about the position. It's a churn and burn position. Just keep investing in it in the mid rounds and you'll be quite fine.

Now if others have a different position on it, that's fine with me.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:13 AM 11-11-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Roschon Johnson is someone that interests me as a late round type. He's big and has power and decent speed. Can run through some arm tackles and catches the ball well/with his hands. He's also a former QB who can take direct snaps under center or in shotgun. Handy little bonus.

I also like Sean Tucker from Syracuse. I could see a 5-10, 210 pound RB former track star doing well in Andy Reid's offense.
He's a damned good fit. I'd like to see him a bit more when things get bottled up but when he can be in space he finds the cutback every time and does big things.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:42 AM 11-11-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
no, I don't think they do.

I think it's more like

"Thank God their offensive tackles can't pass block or we'd never get a stop."
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:36 AM 11-11-2022
WRs are too expensive and we don't need to pay top dollar for them to get top tier impact.

So why not spend that money on a RB, where we lack talent and the dollar value is never as high.

Saquan completes the offense, is available next offseason, would cost about 2/3rd what JuJu will.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:50 AM 11-11-2022
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
WRs are too expensive and we don't need to pay top dollar for them to get top tier impact.

So why not spend that money on a RB, where we lack talent and the dollar value is never as high.

Saquan completes the offense, is available next offseason, would cost about 2/3rd what JuJu will.
If you think Saquan suddenly makes the running game go, you haven't been paying attention to the offensive line play.

and paying big money for a guy who's already often injured at a position with a career expectancy of three and a half years is not a smart usage of money.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:50 AM 11-11-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
If you think Saquan suddenly makes the running game go, you haven't been paying attention to the offensive line play.

and paying big money for a guy who's already often injured at a position with a career expectancy of three and a half years is not a smart usage of money.
Especially for a guy that's already had multiple injuries.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 08:52 AM 11-11-2022
Saquon is going to get paid more than we would even dream of paying him with the season he's having even with the injuries. And his OL isn't great
[Reply]
JPH83 10:00 AM 11-11-2022
To each there own. I, personally, in that position (which I'm not and won't ever be in all likelihood) would absolutely never take a RB in the first 2 rounds. It's how I feel about the position. It's a churn and burn position. Just keep investing in it in the mid rounds and you'll be quite fine.

Now if others have a different position on it, that's fine with me.
I agree entirely. If they're a unique athlete that can run routes like a WR, I dunno, maybe a 2nd...but those guys are gone already. Outside of that, no thanks.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 08:18 AM 11-12-2022
:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up