ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The future is hard to believe.
Direckshun 08:44 PM 10-23-2022
Look at this roster for 2023. It's fucking madness.

QB: Mahomes, Buechele (RFA)
RB: Pacheco, McKinnon (easy re-sign), Edwards-Helaire
FB: Burton (easy re-sign)

WR: Valdez-Scantling, Moore, Watson (easy re-sign), Ross
TE: Kelce, Gray, Fortson (RFA)

LT: ???, Wanogho (RFA)
LG: Thuney, Wylie (easy re-sign)
C: Humphrey
RG: Smith, Wylie (easy re-sign)
RT: Niang, Wanogho (RFA)

DE: Danna, Kaindoh
DT: Jones, Wharton (RFA)
DT: ???
DE: Karlaftis,

WLB: Gay
MLB: Bolton, Chenal
SLB: Chenal, Cochrane (RFA)

CB: Sneed, McDuffie, Watson, Williams, Johnson
S: Reid, Cook, Bush (easy re-sign)

K: Butker
P: Townsend (RFA)
LS: Winchester

2023 Cap space: $45m with a Frank Clark cut, and even more with a Mahomes re-structure
2023 Draft picks: 12: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd (Poles), 4th, 4th (Hill), 5th, 6th, 6th (Hill), 6th (Ingram), 7th, 7th (Reed)

Key FA decisions to make:

LT Orlando Brown, Jr.: will he bring his price down?, will they franchise him again? might they actually tag-and-trade?
FS Juan Thornhill: a talented, sub-Pro Bowl player; obvious re-sign
WR JuJu Smith-Schuster: seems like an obvious re-sign, price shouldn't be too bad
WR Mecole Hardman: he either signs a one-year prove-it or he walks
DT Khalen Saunders: he either signs a one-year prove-it or he walks
RB Jerick McKinnon: a must re-sign and should be cheap

They make a splash somewhere at DL in free agency. I think the Chiefs make the deals with Thornhill and JuJu. The Chiefs likely burn a 1st round pick (and goodies for a trade-up) to help fix the tackle situation if they need a LT, or they spend that 1st on the best DL they can get their mitts on if Brown comes to his senses and burns a 2nd day pick on RT.

They will draft a WR high, they may sniff out a top-end talent at RB somewhere for a steal, and then they just add depth in the trenches.

This team may win a Super Bowl this year. They shed Tyreek Hill, the best WR in the NFL, and still got better on offense. And they're going to have ungodly cap space, a dozen picks to stock this roster.

It's going to be absolutely disgusting how good this team is going to be next year, and for the foreseeable future. The Chiefs are in transition this year and still may win it all. If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this year, we may legit be talking threepeat.

They're going to be that good.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:26 PM 10-25-2022
Originally Posted by Dante84:
See, I can't accept Wylie as a viable option at RT. He is a backup player and is mid on his best days. For me, he's the weakest link on the entire starting roster.
In this scenario, Wylie is the backup at both guard spots.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:45 PM 10-25-2022
Originally Posted by Dante84:
See, I can't accept Wylie as a viable option at RT. He is a backup player and is mid on his best days. For me, he's the weakest link on the entire starting roster.
I'd say that's accurate.

He's there if the rookie can't get it done or if you take a gamble on a 2nd tier T who can't.

Now the issue is that if NEITHER of them can, you are in a world of shit because Wylie most assuredly cannot play LT.
[Reply]
Urc Burry 07:35 AM 10-26-2022
Veach has to be bummed about Niang. From sitting out the Covid year to not being about to stay healthy. Without knowing the guy and being around him it just doesn’t seem he has the drive. Because skill wise I think he could have locked up one side of the line for the future.

Next years FA class is a little disappointing on the top end. I would love to plug in Hargraves or Jordan Phillips next to CJ. But seeing the cap space, and the FA class I wonder if a trade for a player due for an extension is in the cards
[Reply]
RunKC 07:54 AM 10-26-2022
That cap space may dry up quickly depending on what they want to do.

Sneed, Gay, OBJ?, Thornhill, Juju, maybe Hardman.

Depends on their asking price
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:10 AM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
That cap space may dry up quickly depending on what they want to do.

Sneed, Gay, OBJ?, Thornhill, Juju, maybe Hardman.

Depends on their asking price
They're almost certainly going to pay JuJu and OBJ one way or another.

Hardman and Thornhill have replacements on the roster and could be overpaid on the free agent market.

They don't have to make any moves on Gay for another year, but they may want to act on Sneed now.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:54 PM 10-26-2022
On OBJ...

I absolutely hate him as the Chiefs' LT. Let's not get confused about that.

As for this "theory" that the Chiefs will just automatically receive a 3rd round comp pick by letting him walk, well let's not put the horse before the cart.

Most of you guys understand the cancellation process that works within the confines of the CFA process but let me just reiterate that we can't assume the Chiefs will get anything for OBJ if Veach decides to use the money to invest in a like-round CFA or if he signs an equal amount of CFAs to CFAs lost.

For those of you considering the Chiefs might look into signing a guy like Chubb as a free agent, you might want to rethink the guarantee of a comp pick.

With that said, the safest mechanism to ensure compensation for OBJ is a tag and trade scenario. The real question is whether or not Veach would employ it. Surely OBJ has round 3 value to someone, and might even have round 2 value to someone. Using the tag on OBJ at the onset will give Veach and Co time to evaluate the prospects a bit more and see where things sit for them as a team as well.

So, as much as I don't want to see OBJ ever play another down for KC beyond this season, I really do expect him to get the tag again and ... God willing... he gets traded.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 02:57 PM 10-26-2022
If he can't get paid as an LT here does he really have a shot getting paid elsewhere? If not why not just embrace changing positions?
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:20 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
If he can't get paid as an LT here does he really have a shot getting paid elsewhere? If not why not just embrace changing positions?
Somebody will want him. He's not changing positions.
[Reply]
raybec 4 04:06 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
On OBJ...

I absolutely hate him as the Chiefs' LT. Let's not get confused about that.

As for this "theory" that the Chiefs will just automatically receive a 3rd round comp pick by letting him walk, well let's not put the horse before the cart.

Most of you guys understand the cancellation process that works within the confines of the CFA process but let me just reiterate that we can't assume the Chiefs will get anything for OBJ if Veach decides to use the money to invest in a like-round CFA or if he signs an equal amount of CFAs to CFAs lost.

For those of you considering the Chiefs might look into signing a guy like Chubb as a free agent, you might want to rethink the guarantee of a comp pick.

With that said, the safest mechanism to ensure compensation for OBJ is a tag and trade scenario. The real question is whether or not Veach would employ it. Surely OBJ has round 3 value to someone, and might even have round 2 value to someone. Using the tag on OBJ at the onset will give Veach and Co time to evaluate the prospects a bit more and see where things sit for them as a team as well.

So, as much as I don't want to see OBJ ever play another down for KC beyond this season, I really do expect him to get the tag again and ... God willing... he gets traded.
That's actually what you're supposed to do.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:22 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Hahaha, the synapses are running full bore over here.

I mean, the horse could get run over by the cart and all... :-)
[Reply]
Direckshun 06:52 AM 10-27-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
:-)
[Reply]
Toad 04:30 PM 11-18-2022
I kinda doubt he plays on the tag again next year.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:53 AM 11-19-2022
Still wish we woulda scored Trent Williams!

If we tag OBJ we have to pay him $20m, is that correct? = 3rd/4th highest paid tackle = not a bad deal actually

Top paid LTs
https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:02 PM 11-20-2022
You’ve got that right. And I agree it’s a good deal for us.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:44 PM 11-20-2022
So many rookies playing on an 8-2 team.

The future is bright.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up